Musical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuResurgens

Newbie!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a combined 13 years of formal musical training between two instruments. However, most of this was done in high school. I stopped being part of formal ensembles at my university because I found that I really didn't enjoy the philosophy and style of the program when compared to my previous experiences. So, I won't have more than a year of formal college training. Is this still something I could include on an application or are they more interested in what you did in college? If the latter, what could I do with these skills to make a good impression as this being a long-term EC?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When you say you won't have more than a year of formal college training...is it in both instruments or just one? Either way, you could put the college experience in your application, but in the description, mention that you have 13 years of experience playing the two instruments.

Reactions: 1 user
I just played the one instrument for one year in a college marching band before deciding my school's particular program wasn't for me. I'm mostly maintaining them both as a hobby now, which is what the intent was all along.

Members don't see this ad :)
I put about 16 years of piano, including formal training and examinations, on my AMCAS app and things turned out dandy. Like you, my formal training ended in high school, and I just played for giggles during college. I listed it as a stress relief mechanism, which it was. No one applauded me regarding this during my interviews (which is to be expected) but no one called me out either, which is good. I ended up getting offers from a couple of top 20's, so it can't all be that bad, right? I say put it on.

Definitely mention it as a hobby. Personally, music was the topic of most of my "extra" "is there anything else about yourself that you want to share?" essays. What I consider my best essay is an "ode to music" if you will and music came up in every single one of my interviews. On the AMCAS I would list it as a hobby/other and describe your experiences. It's well known that there is a high correlation between music performance experience and academic strength. Music is a big part of my life and if it's a big part of yours and you can speak to that compellingly, I would do it.

Great advice all. Thanks for the responses! I will definitely include it then. I wasn't sure if they care more about college level experience or what, but it sounds like the biggest takeaway from music and med school is the role that music plays in your life. If so, I think I'll find it easy to talk about as I absolutely love music. Music has helped me express feelings I couldn't express in words, it helps add weight to the meaning of everything, and it really helps me relate to other people. Thanks!