Must credits be completed before applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hector219

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do all required classes need to be completed before most schools will accept an application. I'm hoping to start applying this coming summer, but will have one more upper level bio to complete for most schools I'm applying to (mostly in Texas). I'll be taking that class this the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Your pre-med pre-reqs should be complete before you apply (as should your MCAT take) but upper division coursework is not much of a problem unless it is a specific requirement for a specific medical school. Most medical schools in this country do not have upper division requirements unless things like entry-level Biochem ro Genetics are considered upper division at your undergraduate institution.

Most people who apply to medical school apply in the summer of their junior year of undergraduate. It is expected that you will have some degree requirements to complete before matriculation. The pre-med prereqs are all freshman-level courses with the exception of Organic Chemistry.

Do all required classes need to be completed before most schools will accept an application. I'm hoping to start applying this coming summer, but will have one more upper level bio to complete for most schools I'm applying to (mostly in Texas). I'll be taking that class this the summer.
Just a comment about the prerequisite courses (though not specifically related to your question): read the fine print for each medical school you are applying to. Some of them clearly state that all premedical requirements must be completed before matriculation rather than before applying. Personally, I was missing physics I and physics II when I applied, but I had registered for them and I was taking physics I at the time of interview. Nobody said anything. It was assumed (I'm assuming!) that they would be complete before enrolling in medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually Scottish Chap, that's helpful. The problem is that I can't find an explicit statement addressing that on the websites of the schools I've been looking at. I'm going to end up just making lots of calls i guess.

I've called around and everyone wants them done before matriculation, not applying. They also all guessed that that was universal.

I was curious about the process, thanks for the info.