Must Take Classes for 2015 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noel Bender

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so not at all happy about the new MCAT changes for 2015, but as no amount of fussing or whining is going to change anything, what are the classes I need to take in preparation for the 2015 MCAT?

I'm a Junior Biology major and have already taken Physics I & II, Biology I & II, General Chemistry I & II, and Organic Chemistry I. I'd like to avoid taking psychology and sociology classes if at all possible, could I possibly self-study for those subjects without jeopardizing my score? Also, are there any preparatory materials out yet in anticipation of the 2015 changes?

Members don't see this ad.

If I remember correctly, the social sciences section is going to count either just as much or more than the chemistry portions. You probably have to take a general psychology for your degree, I would go ahead and take it. As for sociology, well I'm a psychology major and looking at some of the practice questions, I would have no idea what some of it meant without a sociology class, but I'm sure just buying some study material should suffice for that.

There currently is no prep material for the behavioral sciences sections. It would be too risky to skip on psychology and sociology. In fact, I'd recommend a social science research methods course in addition. Also, don't forget biochem.

You don't have to take any extra classes. In fact, I discourage people from taking classes or online courses.

MCAT studying can be done entirely through self-studying with the right materials. It's more focused and you can adjust it to your needs vs. a whole class with different levels of knowledge. Good luck!

Honestly, the only real reason to take Psych 101 and Sociology 101 is because schools may make it a general prerequisite in 2015. However, the material in these classes is nothing fundamentally tough to understand. It's actually pretty much memorization and can be learned from online resources.