MWU AZCOM vs. DMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gujibeans

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I'm really in need of some help deciding between two schools. I was just accepted to Midwestern AZCOM today and I have been accepted and preparing to go to DMU for about 6 months now.

DMU
Pros:
- Probably the better school
- Away from distractions
- Already paid deposit and have been preparing to attend
- About 15-20k cheaper yearly

Cons:
- Unfamiliar place
- Not a fan of the weather nor prepared lol
- Away from friends/family

MWU AZCOM:
Pros:
- Able to stay in Arizona. The area where the school is located is not an area I know very well nor incredibly close to family, however I still am within a 30-45 min drive of most family and friends. More comfortable overall living in the state given the weather, lived my entire life in AZ
- Easier to find living and deal with COVID-19 restrictions
- My girlfriend (who lives with me currently and will be moving with me) would prefer to stay in AZ and might find it a bit easier to find a job here
- I want to practice (residency and after) in AZ or somewhere on the west coast, so AZCOM may provide me more oppurtunity to do so
- Save on moving costs (prob about equal to price of deposit already paid at DMU) and travel costs to come home on breaks

Cons:
- Tuition is absurd. Already pretty scared about taking 220k in loans over 4 years and at AZCOM it could easily be 300+. Cost of living is probably pretty similar to Des Moines. I'm using saved up funds and utilizing no-interest loans from family to supplement living costs, so saving on living isn't super important either. Living with family is not possible.
- Midwestern has a good rep but overall isn't as good as DMU. DMU board scores are a bit better overall
- Not much of an issue but I lose my deposit and have to start over with preparing for school

Overall: Really needing to know if the difference b/w AZCOM and DMU in education is actually meaningful, if AZCOM would set me better up for a residency here in AZ or on the west coast, and if living in AZ is valuable enough to spend 20k extra yearly.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I’m from Southern California and planning on going to DMU in the fall, so I might be a bit biased. I personally did not apply to AZCOM or CCOM because of how expensive the tuition is. I have to say I was really blown away by DMU and their great facilities, year long rotation sites, match rate, and complex pass rates.

Being from AZ should help you match to an AZ residency program no matter which school you choose. AZCOM has rotation sites in both AZ and CA, but you can always do away rotations in both states if you go to DMU. I personally rather save 80k and go to DMU, but 4 years is a long time to be in a place you might not like as much. It’s up to you if it’s worth the 80k.

Reactions: 1 users
I would do some self reflection and consider how important being near family is for you. I know proximity to family and my SO is very important to me because I know their support will help me stay sane through med school. Both schools will set you up for success. Best of luck in whatever you decide!

Reactions: 1 user
Does AZCOM offer anything more compared to DMU which would justify the tuition difference? Maybe @Goro could weigh in with his thoughts on the two schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a student that just graduated from AZCOM several of his classmates were 400K-500k in debt. It is not worth it IMO.

Reactions: 2 users
SoCal person who had to make this decision in March. Chose DMU as it’s cheaper and I really enjoyed my interview day. Never seen snow fall before, so I’m excited! It’s only four years, so I think it’ll be a worthwhile experience! If I hate the snow, I will know where not to apply come residency. At least it’s not ridiculously hot, there’s only so much you can take off!

If you’re looking for Chinese food and ultimately choose DMU, I can cook :)

edit: based on the 990, in 2018, the university president at MWU earned $2.2 million a year. At DMU, the president earned $600k. might explain where tuition goes!

15-20k can buy a lot of plane tickets to visit your family. Seriously tho, midwestern does have more research than most DO schools but is it really going to make that big of a difference? No because you can only do so much research. If I remember correctly, midwestern’s COA is about 100k per year which is too expensive.

Clearly there is a theme in this thread.... If money means anything to you at all (it looks like it does), go to the cheaper school.

Definitely go elsewhere. AZCOM is extremely expensive and you will have the similar if not same opportunities at DMU. Money matters and at the end of the day youll be a physician at either school