Mwu-il interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothlove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my interview is tomorrow! Any tips on this? Examples of questions they may ask?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Be ready for some "speed dating" mini-interviews. (8 stations, 2 min to read a question, 8 min to discuss, 80 min total interview time).

Just be yourself! I didn't stress it and it turned out great. You should already be set to answer any dental related questions, and you can't really prepare for the other ones, so don't stress.

Brand spanking new sim lab, excited students and faculty, safe area...have fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
Be ready for some "speed dating" mini-interviews. (8 stations, 2 min to read a question, 8 min to discuss, 80 min total interview time).

Just be yourself! I didn't stress it and it turned out great. You should already be set to answer any dental related questions, and you can't really prepare for the other ones, so don't stress.

Brand spanking new sim lab, excited students and faculty, safe area...have fun!

Just wondering, did you interview this year or last? I've heard that the "speed-dating" interview style was what they used last year, but this year they had switched to a panel-interview type thing. :(

Thanks!

No panel this year. It's the same as last year as described above. I loved the format.

No panel this year. It's the same as last year as described above. I loved the format.
where have you interviewed already? and what were your stats?

Just wondering, did you interview this year or last? I've heard that the "speed-dating" interview style was what they used last year, but this year they had switched to a panel-interview type thing. :(

Thanks!

Actually "Jeffity" and I were at the same interview last week. I think he bombed most of his answers. ;)

They say they are looking for "critical thinking" answers, but you have plenty of chances to involve personal experiences and your own personality into your discussions. I would advise to be yourself and not try to answer just by what you think they want to hear. I actually changed the direction of one of my answers because I thought my answer would sound "silly" but now I wish I had stayed with my original thought for that question. I'm not going to give away their questions just in case they use the same ones...

You are not going to "nail" every question, but I'm sure they know that. Lets say you nail 6 out of 8 questions, then 2 of them end up not so hot. Well I say, if you're going to bomb 2 questions, then really go down with the ship and say something crazy. Maybe it will take the stress off?

But seriously, you have 8 min on each, so figure out how to weave something personal into every answer. Just keep thinking for the entire 2 minutes because you might not come up with an answer until right before you open the door! If you don't have enough to talk about, they will ask follow up questions. I had the feeling that most of the interviewers were pulling for us. There was only one person who I felt was hard to impress, but hey, 7/8 is not bad right?

Actually "Jeffity" and I were at the same interview last week. I think he bombed most of his answers. ;)

They say they are looking for "critical thinking" answers, but you have plenty of chances to involve personal experiences and your own personality into your discussions. I would advise to be yourself and not try to answer just by what you think they want to hear. I actually changed the direction of one of my answers because I thought my answer would sound "silly" but now I wish I had stayed with my original thought for that question. I'm not going to give away their questions just in case they use the same ones...

You are not going to "nail" every question, but I'm sure they know that. Lets say you nail 6 out of 8 questions, then 2 of them end up not so hot. Well I say, if you're going to bomb 2 questions, then really go down with the ship and say something crazy. Maybe it will take the stress off?

But seriously, you have 8 min on each, so figure out how to weave something personal into every answer. Just keep thinking for the entire 2 minutes because you might not come up with an answer until right before you open the door! If you don't have enough to talk about, they will ask follow up questions. I had the feeling that most of the interviewers were pulling for us. There was only one person who I felt was hard to impress, but hey, 7/8 is not bad right?

rainman, how are you timed for the 2 or 8 minutes? do you have a timer in front of you or smth?

rainman, how are you timed for the 2 or 8 minutes? do you have a timer in front of you or smth?

So there is someone in the hall with the master timer, and each interviewer in the room also has a timer. When you step in the room, the interviewer starts their timer. Its all coordinated fairly well.

With that said, I stepped into the first room, and my interviewer forgot to start her timer. She realized this halfway through the 8 minutes, so she had to keep watching the hallway. It was a little distracting, but she was very nice. I made sure all the rest started the timer when I came in (I didn't bug them about it, I just made sure they pressed the button when I sat down). I did catch someone else who forgot later on - they are only human!

They give you a sheet of peel and stick paper with your name typed on it 8 times. So every interview, the interviewer unpeels one of your names, and places it on their sheet and evaluates your answer during the following 2 minutes while you are reading the next question. I didn't have anyone taking notes during the mini-interview.

Also, the interviews are closed file, so they do not have your AADSAS or secondary information there. Its kind of an impromptu, fresh look and first impression type of setting.

So there is someone in the hall with the master timer, and each interviewer in the room also has a timer. When you step in the room, the interviewer starts their timer. Its all coordinated fairly well.

With that said, I stepped into the first room, and my interviewer forgot to start her timer. She realized this halfway through the 8 minutes, so she had to keep watching the hallway. It was a little distracting, but she was very nice. I made sure all the rest started the timer when I came in (I didn't bug them about it, I just made sure they pressed the button when I sat down). I did catch someone else who forgot later on - they are only human!

They give you a sheet of peel and stick paper with your name typed on it 8 times. So every interview, the interviewer unpeels one of your names, and places it on their sheet and evaluates your answer during the following 2 minutes while you are reading the next question. I didn't have anyone taking notes during the mini-interview.

Also, the interviews are closed file, so they do not have your AADSAS or secondary information there. Its kind of an impromptu, fresh look and first impression type of setting.

what do you mean by that bold statement?

what do you mean by that bold statement?

I was just saying that the interviewers make their notes during the 2 minutes where there are no applicants in their room. They really listen to you, and you don't feel like they are scribbling down notes while you are talking to them. It was more interactive than what I was expecting - they didn't just make me talk the whole 8 minutes alone while they sat there with a pen and paper. They asked follow up questions, etc.

Hope that helps.

I interviewed at MWU-IL last year, thought I did well, but ended up on the wait list. I'm really not sure what kind of applicants they are looking for? As for the stress level, don't worry about it, it's pretty laid back. I likely butchered a few of my answers but just didn't realize it because they didn't really argue or object to anything. They just kind of go along with your answer and probably find their own little ways to probe you for the information they are really looking for. The bottom line is, you won't really figure it out, the best you can do is be yourself. Good luck!

interview in the form of speed dating. Thts great. Result shd also be in the form speed dating.

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont have the current handbook, does anyone know what the interview acceptance rate is midwestern il?

i dont have the current handbook, does anyone know what the interview acceptance rate is midwestern il?

i interviewed there a few days ago and they said that last year they interviewed about 400 and by the time the class was filled up they had accepted 317 of the 400

awesome sim lab here and great people (both faculty n staff were super friendly and were really nice.)

only downside is the cost esp. for rent and food, doesnt look like it would be a cheap ride going there.

wow thanks for the info! if you dont mind, where did you stay? and it looks like renting a car might be the best option

wow thanks for the info! if you dont mind, where did you stay? and it looks like renting a car might be the best option

Renting a car doesnt make any sense. I paid $36 (with tip) for a cab from the airport to my hotel (which was Comfort Inn at Downers Grove) If you do the math thats $72 for roundtrip, a rental car will cost more + gas + you might get lost or waste time filling out paperwork for the car. On the way back from the school, I split a cab with 3 guys, we each paid $12 for the cab ride. Also Comfort Inn at Finley Rd. has a FREE shuttle service to the school.

So basically fly into O'Hare or Midway, take a cab (I used American Taxi) they pick you up in 15 or 20 mins from when you land. You pay $36 to get to Comfort Inn, you sleep there, they have a FREE breakfast and a FREE Shuttle to the school. Then from the school you can make plans with fellow interviewees on splitting a cab. Its a lot cheaper than rental car and a lot less hassle.

Last edited:
hey I got an email from Midwestern ill inviting me for an interview on Friday and I went to schedule my interview but it says 'no dates available' did this happen to anyone else.?

Yea man this same thing happened to me what you going to do call on Monday?

hey guys, when did you get your application in (people received invites to interview)? I just submitted mine last Thursday. My stats are 22TS 21AA 19PAT 3.5 sci and overall gpa. Do you think its too late or do you think I have a shot?

Thanks, Cam

So I called them this morning and they told me that they were totally booked and wouldn't be interviewing until next year??

So I called them this morning and they told me that they were totally booked and wouldn't be interviewing until next year??

sorry to hear they're a great school and have an awesome program. i really liked my time there.

So are they not offering interviews until next year to applicants or just not giving them to the applicant this year? I am still waiting for mine, but I just applied October 20th.

No I got an interview on friday, but you had to schedule the date and it was on a first come first serve basis. When I was able to get to a computer to my portal said they were no dates availiable, so I called and the lady said they were all booked and that they won't be interviewing in december.

so I could still get an interview email from here until December but not actually be able to do it until 2012? Is that what your saying?

nice, did they say when the next round will start? january?