MWU or MCPHS? What would you choose? Why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FosterPharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are the options:
Midwestern University - Glendale
MCPHS - Worcester

I am a California resident and these are some general information that may factor in my decision. I plan on going back to California after I am licensed and looking for a job isn't a big issue. I would like to hear your opinion and any information on these schools would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

3 year accelerated program
Tuition: ~53k/year --> ~159k debt (only from tuition and fees)
Cost of living: ~10k/year (rent & utilities)
Weather is similar to where I am currently living (sunny)
Faculties have an open door policy
Library seems small

MCPHS - Worcester
Tuition: ~48k/year --> 144k debt (only from tuition and fees)
Cost of living: ~13k/year (rent & utilities)
Weather is not what I am used to (snow)
Scholarships based on academics ~7k/year applied towards tuition
Sirens go off pretty often because the school is located near several hospitals (I kept waking up in the middle of the night)
P2 mentors the P1 (one on one)

Members don't see this ad.

Here are the options:
MCPHS - Worcester

I am a California resident and these are some general information that may factor in my decision. I plan on going back to California after I am licensed and looking for a job isn't a big issue. I would like to hear your opinion and any information on these schools would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Library seems small

MCPHS - Worcester
Sirens go off pretty often because the school is located near several hospitals (I kept waking up in the middle of the night)

I am in the same boat as you right now. Also from California. And got into both schools. I have until March 4th to put down the deposit. What have you decided so far?

Here are the options:
MCPHS - Worcester

Library seems small

MCPHS - Worcester

Go to cheaper school..To answer your question, go MCPHS. Tution is lower plus you get scholarship, something that's not possible at MWU. My former pharmacist went to MCPHS- boston, she is doing fine..

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to cheaper school..To answer your question, go MCPHS. Tution is lower plus you get scholarship, something that's not possible at MWU. My former pharmacist went to MCPHS- boston, she is doing fine..

You will also factor in shipping your car out, getting winter tires, not being able to drive home to see family/friends in California, flight tickets back home will be more expensive if you decide to visit back, cost of living is higher in worcester than in Glendale. But I'm trying to be devils advocate.

Reactions: 1 user
You will also factor in shipping your car out, getting winter tires, not being able to drive home to see family/friends in California, flight tickets back home will be more expensive if you decide to visit back, cost of living is higher in worcester than in Glendale. But I'm trying to be devils advocate.
You are saving $15 K + schorship at MCPHS.. You can cover car shipping, airfare and changing tires in all that left over balance. Don't know worchester market but glendale market is saturated.. i think MWU tution is over the top and anyone who is applying should avoid taking less loans if they were to get accepted in multiple schools, i would go cheaper school if i were OP.. And BTW i remember getting $144 one way to ticket to boston from AZ once so yeah its possible to get cheaper tickets if OP's family shop smart..

Not sure about MCPHS currently, but I remember seeing some negative things about the school on these forums. Supposedly, large amounts of students are purposely weeded out after 1 or 2 years. Maybe they have changed the way they operate though, not sure.

You have to also put into consideration that 34% of incoming students are from California. So you have a lot in common with your peers. Also, im not sure about this, but it might be easier to get rotation sites to California if you are interested in that if it's closer. But I have until the 4th to decide mcphs or MWU. It's a hard choice.
That scholarship is based on if you maintain a 2.5 which seems very easy, but not from a lot of details the students on here are posting about the drop out rate is so high at mcphs. I heard you can't even bring your parents to the white coat ceremony at mcphs. I am not saying I lean towards MWU, but many mcphs students warn us not to come here as opposed to MWU students.
Let's discuss.

What's so amazing about MWU?

Never said it's amazing, but I'd choose it between the two schools. I believe they have the block scheduling, so you only study one subject at a time but at an accelerated rate. I've heard some pretty nasty things about MCPHS.

I am in the same boat as you right now. Also from California. And got into both schools. I have until March 4th to put down the deposit. What have you decided so far?

I am leaning towards MWU just because it's closer to home. Being able to drive about 5 hours to get home in between quarters seems like a big plus for me. Although I don't have too much information on MWU aside from what is posted on their website, I want to hear more about MWU from former/current students. After researching everything about MCPHS on this forum, I am not sure if I am willing to risk it. The only people I know that went to MCPHS - Worcester either graduated as their first class or dropped out after a year. The one that dropped out was more into partying than studying, so I don't think he had any valuable information. If you plan on choosing MWU, I suggest doing everything required as soon as possible since class starts in a little over three months. Update me on what you found since I haven't deposited yet.

You are saving $15 K + schorship at MCPHS.. You can cover car shipping, airfare and changing tires in all that left over balance. Don't know worchester market but glendale market is saturated.. i think MWU tution is over the top and anyone who is applying should avoid taking less loans if they were to get accepted in multiple schools, i would go cheaper school if i were OP.. And BTW i remember getting $144 one way to ticket to boston from AZ once so yeah its possible to get cheaper tickets if OP's family shop smart..

Thanks for the response. All the pharmacists I have talked to said to choose the cheaper school. I just want to see the difference in quality between the two schools. I heard MCPHS has a lot of students coming in and the exams are multiple choice. I am not sure if the faculty will have time to help students. I also know someone that failed his second year a few times and had to repeat the entire program from the beginning, so he owes a lot more money now. I just don't want to be like him, so I think quality > $$ at the moment.

Thanks for the response. All the pharmacists I have talked to said to choose the cheaper school. I just want to see the difference in quality between the two schools. I heard MCPHS has a lot of students coming in and the exams are multiple choice. I am not sure if the faculty will have time to help students. I also know someone that failed his second year a few times and had to repeat the entire program from the beginning, so he owes a lot more money now. I just don't want to be like him, so I think quality > $$ at the moment.

I definitely like where this thread is going and the significance it is starting to reveal in terms of being an informed consumer. Let's face it, we do not want to be ripped off, and part of that criterion trickles down this sense of quality vs cost.
I've read far more negative reviews in mcphs, however not enough info is given in terms of what kind of students they were that failed. Whether they were party goers or self dedicated. I love how there is ability for office hours at MWU, not much at mcphs.

If you are going to use your own personal vehicle, Glendale hands down. Strip malls and subdivisions galore, nothing out of the ordinary for someone native to suburban California. Getting good rotation sites in MA is generally a crapshoot with the 1000s and 1000s of students in MA.

If you graduated from a decent undergrad program (like if you were successful at a UC you should be fine. If you struggled at Stanislaus St... maybe not) and have good study habits and time management skills you need not worry about accelerated programs.

Hello! I applied to to MCPHS worcester as well! Would you guys please tell me how was the interview? and what kind of questions did they ask.. I just got a letter that I am invited for an interview...