My AAMC Scores - Progression

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roycer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here they are:

AAMC CBT 3: 12 PS / 7 VR / 12 BS = 31
AAMC CBT 4: 12 PS / 7 VR / 12 BS = 31

My VR reasoning score is definitely bumming me out. Both AAMC exams I wasn't able to finish on time. Certain humanities passages are slowing me down. Should I begin to first do the passages I'm best at (natural sciences / social sciences) and then work on humanities last? Anyone with suggestions on the best way to improve my VR score one month left remaining? This weekend I am going to work through a Kaplan full-length PS and BS untimed, and possibly some more VR work.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest buying the EK verbal method book and following it like a bible.

Also, dont skip passages, do them in their proper order. Any other method is just waisting time. The key to verbal is that you are searching the passage for the main idea. Most of the answers deal with the main idea, and you can isolate them without really comprehending what theyre saying. EK gives a good breakdown of improper answer choices, which get easier to identify once you know what to look for (such as answers that are correct, but not directly emphasized in the passage, or answers that are too simple, or answers that are right but dont answer the question exactly, etc)

I actually have the EK 101 book and the EK verbal manual. I tried following its steps but been preoccupied with the sciences. I notice that when I do the passages in EK 101, I've been averaging about 1 wrong/passage. Although, I haven't done a full EK section test yet. I've noticed that I don't comprehend the passages as well when reading on the computer during a timed AAMC practice exam.

Could it be test anxiety?
How does everyone sit when reading a VR passage? More laid back or leaned forward and heavily concentrating?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm a mixture of TPR and Ek is what worked best for me. The EK passages are pretty simple reads. When I go to the AAMC passages most of the time i'm like WTH? Using more than one source lets you hone multiple skills at once.

Just completed AAMC CBT 5: 13 PS / 9 VR / 12 BS = 34

I'm happy that I finally got a score higher than 7 on VR, but now I just got to try and maintain that score. I actually with be happy with a 9 in VR on the real test.

I got killed on that ciliate protozoan Tetrahymena passage. Anyone else find it hard or was it just me?

This is an interesting question about the VR. I've seen it come up time and time again on this board, and I've noticed the trend that it seems like people who have a difficulty with VR tend to not have a problem with the sciences- an inverse relationship. Perhaps because I was a humanities major, I've never had the same stress surrounding the VR as other folks have. What I can imagine is that people who are having difficulty tend to be analyzing as they read. I've been thinking about this for awhile, but the question about "sitting back or leaning forward and concentrating" got me thinking in a new way about the way I read these passages. Personally, I think taking notes as you read the passage is a load of garbage. You just read the thing, it didn't go anywhere, do you really need notes? It's not like you're referring back to your notes because you're writing a dissertation or something. No notes. Focus, but don't analyze. Concentrate, but don't dismember the piece as you're reading it. Absorb it in the first go around. Start going through the questions. Refer back often as you need to answer the question unless it's a no-brainer. Go with your gut. I think reading without the analyzation in the first go-around is going to be a key in at least getting to all the questions before time's up.

This is an interesting question about the VR. I've seen it come up time and time again on this board, and I've noticed the trend that it seems like people who have a difficulty with VR tend to not have a problem with the sciences- an inverse relationship. Perhaps because I was a humanities major, I've never had the same stress surrounding the VR as other folks have. What I can imagine is that people who are having difficulty tend to be analyzing as they read. I've been thinking about this for awhile, but the question about "sitting back or leaning forward and concentrating" got me thinking in a new way about the way I read these passages. Personally, I think taking notes as you read the passage is a load of garbage. You just read the thing, it didn't go anywhere, do you really need notes? It's not like you're referring back to your notes because you're writing a dissertation or something. No notes. Focus, but don't analyze. Concentrate, but don't dismember the piece as you're reading it. Absorb it in the first go around. Start going through the questions. Refer back often as you need to answer the question unless it's a no-brainer. Go with your gut. I think reading without the analyzation in the first go-around is going to be a key in at least getting to all the questions before time's up.

Thanks for the imput! Can you give an example of what "analyzing as I'm reading" is? I realize that it can help me because comprehending passages is a problem I have. How do you sit when you read?

I guess I mean trying to formulate a structure for the passage. Like, trying to understand WHY this person is saying this rather than just reading to understand WHAT this person is saying. When I read I'm certainly doing so to understand what the person is saying, I'm paying attention to details, themes, etc., but I'm not trying to anticipate what the questions are going to be ahead of time, so I don't start worrying as I'm reading, "Is this line important?" "Ooo, how about this one? THIS seems important." I don't know, I guess the key would be to practice. Get that timing problem down first and everything else should fall into place. An interesting suggestion I've heard elsewhere on this board is to pretend like you're really interested in the subject matter, which has helped me to varying degrees on the dry stuff. Since you insist on knowing, I guess it's more likely that I lean forward when I'm reading.

I feel a little happy today after finally earning a 10 on an EK 101 VR test. Today I took my time reading the passage and took deep breaths in between passages. It helped I guess, but I'm doing AAMC CBT6 tomorrow so let's see if I can earn another 9 or 10.

Just finished AAMC CBT 6: 15 (!!!) PS / 7 VR / 13 BS = 35

Once again, got killed in VR. It didn't help that there was a fly buzzing around my face during half of VR. My pace was very good in the beginning and then the clock got to me. It slowed down my reading and made comprehension more difficult. I should be happy with a 35 I guess, but damn that VR.

Great scores!!

I just have one point to add.

You can be attacked on the MCAT unless you absolutely nail the sciences. Try to get that verbal up to a 9/10 consistently even at the detriment of the other sections. But, since you are so strong, I do not think you have to worry about the sciences.

Wish I could get consistent 12's in the sciences but I would actually have to study for that. After teaching myself Physics and some light review on the other subjects, I really did not study more than a couple hours a day. In fact, I think I gave myself too much time out to study because I have been ready to take this thing for weeks. I really think that is going to affect my score. Oh well!!

Great scores!!

I just have one point to add.

You can be attacked on the MCAT unless you absolutely nail the sciences. Try to get that verbal up to a 9/10 consistently even at the detriment of the other sections. But, since you are so strong, I do not think you have to worry about the sciences.

Wish I could get consistent 12's in the sciences but I would actually have to study for that. After teaching myself Physics and some light review on the other subjects, I really did not study more than a couple hours a day. In fact, I think I gave myself too much time out to study because I have been ready to take this thing for weeks. I really think that is going to affect my score. Oh well!!

Yeah I'm going to aim for a consistent 9 (or 10) in the next 3 weeks. Your situation is not bad, you are ready. Just try to keep that readiness until test day!

Just completed AAMC CBT 7: 13 PS / 8 VR / 13 BS = 34

Again, I'm scoring within the range of 31-35. I think 34 or 35 will be my peak practice score considering my peak VR has been 8 or 9. I almost had a panic attack upon reading the nematode passage in BS. I think I spent over 10 minutes on that passage alone, which severely limited the time I had left over to go over marked questions. Overall, a pretty tough exam. Anyone else concur?

Also, my kaplan teacher told me to save the 8,9,10 AAMC tests as my last ones. They are supposed to be more representative of the current MCAT.

Also, my kaplan teacher told me to save the 8,9,10 AAMC tests as my last ones. They are supposed to be more representative of the current MCAT.

That's a joke after what I saw today.

Really, I would take a real one and void to see what you are up against.

The real MCAT difficulty was impressive. Very few give me questions. Like 2-3. Had to use the passage to answer almost everything. Obviously not for discretes but they were much harder!! I would scroll down looking an easy one and find maybe 1 out of 5. :luck:

Solid, solid advice. This is exactly how I go through passages.