my app

Started by ratran
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ratran

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys,

I live in canada and want to apply in the states as my marks arent high enough for canada. i have a 3.4 GPA in my first 2 years and am currently doing my 4th. hopefully i can increase this grade to 3.5 by the end of the year. i have absolutely no work experience at all. I took the Canadian DAT and did terrible and got a score of 18-19. So then I decided since im not even going to a canadian school I took the American one and got a score of 21 and with nothing below 20. I want to know what I could do to improve my application. I have the worst resume on Earth as its pretty much empty. Should i work on improving my DAT score or should I spend my time getting some good experience. Also, what are some schools that would usually accept me based on my scores
 
A 3.4-3.5 gpa and a 19 on the Canadian DAT cant get you into a Canadian dental school?

I dont know much about that system but those seem like good scores.

Anyway, get work experience you answered your own question
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
getting into a canadian school is very tough, especially if you aren't from the province in which the school is. if you apply to a school in your province, i would say that to be confident in your scores, you should have a 3.7+ GPA and a 22+ DAT. this is a total ballpark on my part based on the admission stats i've seen, so no one should be quoting me on this.
 
Class of 2011 at the University of Western Ontario: http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/dentistry/docs/Statistics-Class2011.htm

And at the University of Toronto:
Statistics for the Doctor of Dental Surgery Program (DDS) 2007-2008 Session
TOTAL OFFERS OF ADMISSION: 104

Male: 51
Female: 53

TOTAL REGISTERED STUDENTS: 64

Male: 31
Female: 33

Distribution by Province:
Ontario: 60
Other: 4

Level of University Education:
3 Years: 9
4 (or more) Years: 35
Master's: 18
Ph.D.: 2

Mean Grade Point Average: 3.91

Mean Interview Score (0-35 range): 28

Mean DAT Scores: Academic Average (AA): 21 {Range: 18-25}
Perceptual Ability Test (PAT): 19 {Range: 14-27}
 
Wow, I didn't realize Canadian dental schools were so competitive.

OP, best advice is what others have already said--get some experience in the dental field. Also, get involved in your school with some organizations, do teaching and/or research, etc. Anyone can get good grades, it's the other things you excel in that make the difference. If you have a 3.5+ gpa with an empty resume, they'll think all you did was sit home and study, even if that wasn't the case.