My attempt at comic relief...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm really glad to hear that you chose to go this direction instead of the NP alternative. Where are you in the process?

I was encouraged by 2 non-traditional docs to look into med school the night I told them I was applying to NP school. Without them, I would have never went down this path. I have my MCAT in 5 months, everything else is in order.
 
I once told a cabbie that I was a researcher who worked with HIV. Cabbie then told me all about a risky sexual encounter he'd had with a prostitute earlier in the week and wanted to know if he was at risk.

This is like a car accident. I want to know details, yet I really don't.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OP, I can understand your frustration! I just told my work last Thursday that I would be leaving for medical school and although no one has mistaken medical school for nursing school (I work in healthcare, maybe that makes a difference), I have gotten all kinds of inappropriate questions/comments. As a 30+ married woman without kids, at least ten people have said "but when are you going to have your babies then?"

The other most common comments have included: "how are you going to pay for that and/or are your parents helping you pay?" "How much is the house you're buying when you move?" and "as a woman you shouldn't go into surgery, you should do something nice like opthalmology". Classic! And they wonder why I waited until now to tell them I got into medical school...
 
Okay another identity thing ~ I just had an eye exam by my optometrist & it kind of bothers me that everyone in the clinic refers to the O.D. as "doctor". I know that O.D.s and Au.D. are doctors, just not medical MD/DO doctors... so I think I'm just being snooty.
 
OP, I can understand your frustration! I just told my work last Thursday that I would be leaving for medical school and although no one has mistaken medical school for nursing school (I work in healthcare, maybe that makes a difference), I have gotten all kinds of inappropriate questions/comments. As a 30+ married woman without kids, at least ten people have said "but when are you going to have your babies then?"

The other most common comments have included: "how are you going to pay for that and/or are your parents helping you pay?" "How much is the house you're buying when you move?" and "as a woman you shouldn't go into surgery, you should do something nice like opthalmology". Classic! And they wonder why I waited until now to tell them I got into medical school...

Yep. I did not disclose my ambitions for awhile because I didn't want to hear it. People get even more aggitated when I tell them I am interested in general surgery, then they really start preaching. 🙄
 
Yep. I did not disclose my ambitions for awhile because I didn't want to hear it. People get even more aggitated when I tell them I am interested in general surgery, then they really start preaching. 🙄

Yes I choose not to disclose my ambitions to people simply because I don't want to hear their 'always dissenting' opinion.

It's as almost if people get offended when you tell them about your medical school ambitions. There are truly only 2 people I can think of who fully embrace and believe in me who I can talk to about my plans.

The worst is when someone you JUST met decides to ask you "are you sure you want to go down that path?". I don't know you! I guess it's my fault for disclosing that kind of information to a stranger.
 
I don't even know you but, I am sooooo proud of you for sticking to your Dreams!! I just graduated undergrad and on my way to a post bac program to pursue my dreams of getting into medical school. I also just had a son this year ( his 4 months now) on top being in school. You are an inspiration! Thank you for your post!
 
Okay another identity thing ~ I just had an eye exam by my optometrist & it kind of bothers me that everyone in the clinic refers to the O.D. as "doctor". I know that O.D.s and Au.D. are doctors, just not medical MD/DO doctors... so I think I'm just being snooty.
If you have a doctorate degree of any kind, you are a doctor. So they're right to call the optometrist "doctor" even though s/he's not a physician. Ditto for vets, dentists, podiatrists, pharmacists, PhDs, and even lawyers technically.
 
If you have a doctorate degree of any kind, you are a doctor. So they're right to call the optometrist "doctor" even though s/he's not a physician. Ditto for vets, dentists, podiatrists, pharmacists, PhDs, and even lawyers technically.

I know 😕.

I was just trying to point out that colloquially it sounds wrong. When someone in the general public says "I need a doctor." they mean "I need a physician.", not "I need an audiologist." Calling many medical professions "doctor" causes confusion, imo. Just like calling any level nurse, "nurse" doesn't do justice to the range of training they may or may not have.