My cat ate a "daddy long legs."

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mustangsally65

Sally 2.0
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am frantically searching the internet to see if these critters are toxic to cats.

There was what the locals around here call a "daddy long legs" in my house, and I tried to get it and I lost it. About half an hour later my cat was chasing something and before I could get it away I found a leg on the floor, and figured the rest was in my cat's digestive system.

I don't think this is gonna be a huge problem, but I am going out of town for a few days and don't want to leave my kitty if there is something that could potentially happen. If it's toxic will she just throw it up? Should I take her to the vet ASAP?
 
I have never heard of these spiders causing any form of toxicity in cats. I'm guessing it's fine. However, in situations like these, the best/easiest/fastest thing to do would be simply to call your regular vet and ask. If they're closed, just call an ER practice. That'll be your best bet. The internet isn't really the most reliable source out there. Good luck!

mustangsally65 said:
I am frantically searching the internet to see if these critters are toxic to cats.

There was what the locals around here call a "daddy long legs" in my house, and I tried to get it and I lost it. About half an hour later my cat was chasing something and before I could get it away I found a leg on the floor, and figured the rest was in my cat's digestive system.

I don't think this is gonna be a huge problem, but I am going out of town for a few days and don't want to leave my kitty if there is something that could potentially happen. If it's toxic will she just throw it up? Should I take her to the vet ASAP?
 
Thanks for the replies. My kitty is doing fine, and has shown no adverse symptoms.

I'm a worrier. 😳