1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

My Chances for Fall 2009?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Dental4life05, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Dental4life05

Pre-Dental
    University of Houston, Psychology/Pre-Dental Major...I applied to about 16 schools. I graduate next yr.

These are my stats:
    -3.36 overall GPA
    -3.33 Science GPA
    -100 hrs of shadowing
    -Have been working as a dental assistant for 2 yrs, I am a certified Dental Assistant by the state board of Texas
    - 100hrs of volunteering at a hospital
    - 40 hrs of research in the biology department
    DAT:
    aa: 18
    ts: 20
    bio: 22
    gchem: 20
    ochem: 18
    rc: 19
    qr: 18
    pat: 19

I'm applying to all the schools that are liberal in terms of GPA, and from what I saw on pre-dents, I applied to my state schools, and all the outside schools that are not that high on GPA. Thanks, let me know what you guys think, you guys think I have a shot?

2. AlcoHulk

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hmm you should make sure to apply to private schools, which I'm sure you've already done. AA a little low (don't get me wrong, still good), but you seem like you know exactly what you're doing judging from those killer ECs. I'm sure you'll get in!

3. trixie2126

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i think you have a chance, especially if you apply early! i agree that the aa of 18 is a little low but your ts and pat, which are the ones that really matter are good, and your rc is decent, so you should be fine!

4. Dental4life05

Pre-Dental
    I hope so guys, I'm just sooo scared that I won't get in anywhere, btw I did apply to private schools. I'm praying I get in somewhere, my ECs are good, but I hope my GPA doesn't lower my chances. I've always been just around a B+ ~ A student. Oh, btw I applied EARLY MAY (during the week of finals), is that bad, should I have done it earlier? whats the earliest I can apply? Oh and btw, I'm still finishing my pre-reqs this upcoming fall and spring, just Physics and Bio Chem nothing I needed for the DAT, is that also a bad thing?

5. tonto1

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    may 15th is the earliest you can apply. so you shouldn't (couldn't) have done it any earlier. i wouldn't worry about not having completed your pre-reqs yet. Schools just want to make sure you get them done by the time you start.

6. Dental4life05

Pre-Dental
    Do you think, my ECs give me a good advantage? Thats one of the area's I tried to do very well in.

7. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I think you have a shot, but it might not be a legit shot, however.

Schedule a retake and try to improve your AA by 2 points and I'd say you are set.

Good luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Dental4life05

Pre-Dental
    I'm thinking about retaking it, do you think I'd have a for sure shot if i get a 20 to AT LEAST 1 of my 16 choices?

9. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I would say you have a good chance, but that's just me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...