My Chances for post bacc? So Worried! low gap

Started by curious80
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

curious80

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone. I would really appreciate any input or advice about my current situation. I am a senior at a top 50 university and i began my college career very strong. However, i developed depression in my sophomore-junior year and my grades dropped rapidly. Instead of recognizing my call for help, my family didn't understand depression and it took me a very long time to get back to where i was previously. I'm wanting to go into a post bacc program and go the DO route but i'm unsure if i'll even get accepted into a post bac. I've only taken a few pre-req courses. Just an FYI, i transferred to my current university. Here are my stats:

cumlative gpa: 3.3
gpa at my current uni: 3.6

Biology 1: B
Biology 2: D-/A
Chemistry 1: D/B
Calculus: F/A (When i took calculus the first time, i talked to my professor about wanting to drop her class before the last drop date was approaching because i knew i would do poorly in the end. However, she insisted that i should remain in it and would receive a B if i got __ grades from that point on. I ended up trusting her, stayed in the class, and received those grades but still received an F in the end. This is my first and only F on my transcript...didn't even receive this grade in high school!)

As far as EC's, i worked as a scribe for 1 year and participated in a research program about cardiopulmonary transplant valves. Although my grades don't show it, i am highly motivated and working as a scribe really made me realize how badly i want to be a doctor. Do you think i can get accepted into a post bacc?
 
Also, if I retake all those classes at a post bacc will they average together? or be counted separately? Just curious about this one!
 
The only thing that matters is how AACOMAS/AMCAS calculate your grades. AMCAS will eat your soul on the retakes (average), AACOMAS will do grade replacement if you read the fine print which will save you.

I don't think you'll have any trouble whatsoever getting into a post-bacc, you might not get into the top ones but your GPA isn't that bad for DO schools.