My chances for Surgery and programs ranking 25-50th percentile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor888

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where can I find information about surgery programs between 25-50th percentile?

I am a US 4th year medical student with low Step1 score and failed Step2 the first. I know on paper I am not the best candidate but I have great LORs. I would like to find out what could be the program I might have a chance.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

With low step 1 and failed boards shouldn’t the goal be matching any surgery program even if it’s community in the middle of nowhere, Idaho rather than focusing on 25-50th percentile programs?

With low step 1 and failed boards shouldn’t the goal be matching any surgery program even if it’s community in the middle of nowhere, Idaho rather than focusing on 25-50th percentile programs?
Totally agree. I want to have an idea of the programs so when it comes to applying I don’t just waste money. I would like to apply to programs that will consider at least giving me an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think that your best chance would be programs with a lot of DOs and IMGs (but not necessarily historically DO programs as they may only take DOs)

I would think that your best chance would be programs with a lot of DOs and IMGs (but not necessarily historically DO programs as they may only take DOs)
Thanks for your input. By any chance, do you know of another resource/website besides FREIDA where I can find that information?
Thanks again.

The vast majority of programs will screen you out with a Step failure and no one will read your letters. By far your best chance would be at your home program that knows you and might be willing to overlook the academic deficiencies.

You can throw out as many apps as you care to pay for, and then you need a very strong plan 1b that is community IM, FM, or Peds.