My Chances!!! Please Read!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meemee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, during my freshman year, I got two D's in Chem 1 and Bio1. (this was basically an anomoly). But i retook them and got B's. After that, I contined to get A's and B's and have a cumulative gpa of 3.6. My science gpa is a 3.4. I was wondering what my chances are based on this information?????

I am also a registered dental hygienist, and seventh-day adventist (for loma linda), and have been on a few mission trips. Please give me some advice!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Get a decent DAT and you're a shoe-in at Loma Linda for sure and have a great shot at most other schools. Depends on your DAT at this point.

Adcoms love to see upward trends in grades, so if you can pull a 20+ on the DAT, that should be more than enough to prove to them that you've changed since freshman year.

Members don't see this ad :)
like pdizzle...good decent scores and you are 100% in at loma linda...or any other schools really

your scores are pretty solid to get in anywhere.

just get like everyone said 20+ on the DAT and write a great personal statement and you shouldn't have a problem. D's won't hinder you getting in at all...the adcoms will be happy to see a positive trend. just be prepared to explain it if it comes up.

and by the way, apply EARLY! and get everything else in early. you'll be good to get in anywhere you apply. :thumbup:

Your scores are within average for even the best schools.

THe fact that you are a hygienist should get you in with no problems. I've known schools that accept hygienists that have scored 14 on DAT with worse GPA's. Having a hygiene background will help out so much in school and they definitely know that you are committed and that you know what you are getting yourself into. Good luck!

how does loma linda know you're seventh day adventist before you get an interview, ie when they review your app? would you call them to tell them?

mlle said:
how does loma linda know you're seventh day adventist before you get an interview, ie when they review your app? would you call them to tell them?

tell them in your AADSAS essay (if its tasteful) many LDS (mormons) imply that they are when they talk about their service or missions. Also tell them in your secondary essay (loma lindas is about 18 pages long :eek: ).

OT- I got a 1.6 gpa my freshman year and improved on it. My aadsas GPA is a 3.2 across the board. dont worry about anything.

1992Corolla said:
tell them in your AADSAS essay (if its tasteful) many LDS (mormons) imply that they are when they talk about their service or missions. Also tell them in your secondary essay (loma lindas is about 18 pages long :eek: ).

OT- I got a 1.6 gpa my freshman year and improved on it. My aadsas GPA is a 3.2 across the board. dont worry about anything.

but if you tell them in your aadsas essay other schools might descriminate against you because of it, no?

mlle said:

Secret handshake at the interview DUH! :D

j/k ha ha

sorry, i meant I am a registered dental assistant, (big difference) sorry!! too much caffeine does this to you!!!! :confused:

meemee said:
Hi, during my freshman year, I got two D's in Chem 1 and Bio1. (this was basically an anomoly). But i retook them and got B's. After that, I contined to get A's and B's and have a cumulative gpa of 3.6. My science gpa is a 3.4. I was wondering what my chances are based on this information?????

I am also a registered dental hygienist, and seventh-day adventist (for loma linda), and have been on a few mission trips. Please give me some advice!!!

By the way, they know that I'm seventh day adventist because loma linda has a supplemental form that my pastor fills out to verify it....

meemee said:
sorry, i meant I am a registered dental assistant, (big difference) sorry!! too much caffeine does this to you!!!! :confused:

mlle said:
but if you tell them in your aadsas essay other schools might descriminate against you because of it, no?

could be a possibility, but I don't think so. religion is hardly something a school will berate someone on. Think of all the applicants and then think of the diversity and how many religious people there are in the application process.

Hey, funny running across you on this forum. I didn't know you were considering dentistry... I've been through the application process recently so if you have any questions just PM me.The best advice I can offer you is apply EARLY... meaning mid May. Make a few appointments to meet with Dr. Kasischke in admissions so he starts to recognize you. The admission committee is kind of random in selection but I do know you have an advantage being SDA. I've got alot more advice and experience but I don't want to overload you with info unless you want it. Congrats on your engagement! ~Don

ps I've got last years AADSAS application questions as well as alot of DAT study material if you need it. Do decent on the test and your chances are very good not just at Loma Linda but lots of other schools. Good luck.

meemee said:
what does 14% refer to??

I am assuming your chances of admission... Not speaking for my future classmate however, just a guess. :)

I also think he was being facietious. I think you have a great shot- I was going to say 83.39% give or take another 14.56% based on your DAT performance. Good luck!.

meemee said:
I am also a registered dental hygienist

I think that'll set you apart from many students. You actually have a really good chance.

1992Corolla said:

Loma linda's secondary essay is 18 pages long!? :eek: