My chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FamousLinen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Upcoming fourth year, just recently decided on ophtho.

Rank ~40 med school in Midwest. Trying to match into a well regarded program in Chicago or similarly large/desired cities.

Step 1 265
Step 2 haven’t taken
All H, AOA for 3rd yr clinical grades.
Research is my weak point, Don’t have much, had some posters so far unrelated to ophtho, but am working on a few papers and posters in ophtho with my mentor that should be published and/or presented on before eras is due.
No special ECs but not too lacking.

What do y’all think? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances of matching are high. Good luck!
Hi thanks, appreciate it!

Was looking more at my odds of being able to match in chicago specifically, and at say U of Illinois/Northwestern tier? I know very specific haha, but just curious in general what level of applicant these places take? I know my specific odds for such a narrow range of programs is impossible to say, but in general would I be in a good place for these institutions?

Disregarding aways/etc for now

Members don't see this ad :)
Very impressive work during medical school, you just need the research now. As you said, it's very hard to opine what your odds are at IEEI or Northwestern because yearly fluctuations in who has connections and who is applying. If you have any special connections at any school, then your chances are good. If your aim is to match at one of those institutions then I'd recommend contacting them for research and doing a good job.

Very impressive work during medical school, you just need the research now. As you said, it's very hard to opine what your odds are at IEEI or Northwestern because yearly fluctuations in who has connections and who is applying. If you have any special connections at any school, then your chances are good. If your aim is to match at one of those institutions then I'd recommend contacting them for research and doing a good job.
Appreciate it everyone. Gonna leave the thread, feel like I've gotten the reassurance I needed! If anyone else wants to add on for whatever reason, feel free. Thanks again.

Every ophtho residency position is like a piece of gold. Look at matching at the premium programs in Chicago as a bonus, but you also need to apply to Loyola, Cook County, etc and all the lower tier programs nearby in the Chicago area. Same for all the big cities— apply to ALL programs in each big city you’d want to live in. Don’t take matching into Ophtho for granted at a top program, as you need to apply to “safety programs” in your desired cities as well.
That being said, you have a great shot at the top programs with your impressive credentials.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Every ophtho residency position is like a piece of gold. Look at matching at the premium programs in Chicago as a bonus, but you also need to apply to Loyola, Cook County, etc and all the lower tier programs nearby in the Chicago area. Same for all the big cities— apply to ALL programs in each big city you’d want to live in. Don’t take matching into Ophtho for granted at a top program, as you need to apply to “safety programs” in your desired cities as well.
That being said, you have a great shot at the top programs with your impressive credentials.
Thanks for the advice, and of course I'll be doing so! Appreciate it.