My chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnah18

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I'm a little worried because i've been having a downward trend instead of upward. My first 2 years started off really strong with about a ~3.8 science and overall GPA. However, the last 2 years, instead of improving, my grades have been declining. I now get mostly B's with a couple of C's for micro, with an overall gpa of 3.5.
-In the past 2 years:
2 C+'s in microbiology
B's for my organic lectures
3 B's for biochem2, histology, immun
4 A's for biochem1, hematology, cell & tissue, orgo lab
-No research experience
-Start shadowing this week!! =(
-Taking my DAT's in July

Would you recommend me sending in my application asap without any shadowing hours, or should I wait until until August to apply so I can put about 60hrs.

I plan on applying to:
Temple
Maryland
NYU
Stonybrook
Buffalo
Tufts
Michigan
Loma Linda
Tufts
UPenn
Columbia
UCLA
USF
USC
Midwestern
Pacific
Western
Colorado
Nova
Florida
Detroit Mercy
Minnesota
Case
Pittsburgh
U of Texas at San Antonio
Virginia Commenwealth

With the bold being my priorities. Everything else are extras.
Too many schools? Too little? Help please....

Members don't see this ad.

I think that's too many schools. As far as I know, every school can find out which schools you've applied to. So, you don't want to choose too many schools and look desperate and at the same time you don't wanna choose only 3 schools to look too confident! I think between 12 to 15 schools would be peferct. This what my pre-dental club advisor has told me but check with more experts and see what they think.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
..... =( What do you think?

Last edited:
Emergency Room Volunteer (1 yr)
Treasurer of a COSIGN (Neurology club) (1 yr)
Biomedical student union: member

I'm wondering if I should even mention the above since they're not really dental related?

Mission Trip (1 month): Team leader
Children's assistant
Health fair coordinatory and participant (team leader) (2 of them)
Church Leader/Secretary (1.5 years)
Recently started shadowing (literally like a week ago)

..... =( What do you think?

Dont sweat the shadowing enjoy it, I personally shadow the orthodontics who treated my brothers now and then on Saturdays for a few hours. As volunteering goes everything looks fine. Keep it UP :thumbup:

Dont sweat the shadowing enjoy it, I personally shadow the orthodontics who treated my brothers now and then on Saturdays for a few hours. As volunteering goes everything looks fine. Keep it UP :thumbup:

Indeed. Just focus on your DAT. Try to get nothing below a 19 and you should be OK.

Thank you!
Best of luck to you guys as well!

schools wont look at your application until your DAT scores are in, so it doesnt matter if you send it in right away. If shadowing will be the only part of your application that you are going to add, I would send in the application as soon as you can just to get it out of the way. I know students who were doing shadowing over the summer and submitted their applications with all of the hours they were going to shadow for in that summer. Just be honest with the hours.