My chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drtoothie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am applying next year and I would appreciate it if you could please tell me what my chances are. Here is my info:

cGPA=3.1 (had one bad year)
BCPGPA=3.4
sGPA=3.2 (dual degree in physics and pure math, not that easy...)
AA=22
TS=20

Age=32
non-trad, URM
I also have an MBA from a top 20 program (GPA=3.5) - I don't know if this degree will hurt me since it's not a science degree

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
if you are a URM, then send your app ASAP.

you'll get in this year for sure. MBA + DAT + URM = acceptance.

send it in.

Hey I'm just warning you that people on here are going to criticize you for what you wrote in the title (URM status). I'm not one of them but you should be aware that just because you and I are URM's that does not mean that we should be given preferential treatment or that the bar should be taken down several notches for us. Trust me most of the rich NON-URM's on here will let you know that. I would say at certain schools you will have a shot...alot depends though obviously on what the rest of your application looks like. What EC activities did you participate in? Did you volunteer or shadow a dentist?

Listen though, I'm a hispanic, first-generation college student and I maintained a 3.9+ all through college. Being hispanic or an URM has nothing to do with academic success. If anything knowing that you are an URM should motivate you to succeed both professionally and academically in order to establish yourself as a role model for the younger generation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm sarcasm...

not at all sarcasm. I am dead serious.

Above average DAT. Life experience. Responsibility. Clear idea of the field. URM status. These will make up for average GPA.

not at all sarcasm. I am dead serious.

Above average DAT. Life experience. Responsibility. Clear idea of the field. URM status. These will make up for average GPA.

Lol good to know. Jw bc i know ppl attack minorities on here sometimes.

I hope you get in though man. If you're a Texas resident by any chance pm me or just look for info on the TMDSAS thread. Good Luck to you.

Lol good to know. Jw bc i know ppl attack minorities on here sometimes.

I hope you get in though man. If you're a Texas resident by any chance pm me or just look for info on the TMDSAS thread. Good Luck to you.

its stupid to attack minority status. Unfortunately the schools should ask for income tax returns on parents. They do not. So instead they use minority status as a proxy for a more difficult life. It may not be the best proxy, but it works.

its stupid to attack minority status. Unfortunately the schools should ask for income tax returns on parents. They do not. So instead they use minority status as a proxy for a more difficult life. It may not be the best proxy, but it works.

WOW How right you are man. I know alot of my classmates who live in nice homes, drive nice cars and have both parents at home who were banking on the fact that because they are hispanic it would help them get into med/dent/pharm school. It's pathetic because I'm hispanic and I didn't have ANY of those luxuries. But oh well, I got in so I'm out of it and now could really care less.

Memo to other URM's: Just because you are an URM it is not an excuse for you to be lazy or irresponsible in school. Study hard because you should and must always earn everything you get in this world. Real men/women do not need handouts.

Hi Folks,

I am applying next year and I would appreciate it if you could please tell me what my chances are. Here is my info:

cGPA=3.1 (had one bad year)
BCPGPA=3.4
sGPA=3.2 (dual degree in physics and pure math, not that easy...)
AA=22
TS=20

Age=32
non-trad, URM
I also have an MBA from a top 20 program (GPA=3.5) - I don't know if this degree will hurt me since it's not a science degree
somehow dental schools dont like to accept MBA students, because ......i just lied to you. lolz. send it this year. you probably get a shot but i will def get some interviews next cycle

Memo to other URM's: Just because you are an URM it is not an excuse for you to be lazy or irresponsible in school. Study hard because you should and must always earn everything you get in this world. Real men/women do not need handouts.[/quote]

I agree with you that URMs should not expect any handouts. The fact remains that I am one.

I had a terrible year in college (was trying to graduate early and took over 20 credits for 2 semesters) and if I could take that year back I would. I have done several things in the past 10 years that hopefully will allow ad-coms overcome my low 10-year old GPA: obtained a graduate degree, worked hard and succeeded in industry, studied my a.. off for the DAT (I had not cracked an orgo, chem. or bio book in over 10 years so had to learned the stuff again), and shadowed three dentists. Anyways, thanks for the advise.

Best.