My chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joon108

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
B.S. at University of Michigan
Science GPA 3.4
OAT
Bio 340
G.Chem 330
O.Chem 380
Physics 360
TS 360
Math 360
Reading 220 :mad:
AA 330
applied for ICO only

I am so depressed because of my crazy reading score.
I was so relaxed while I was taking reading part and that
was not even hard. I don't know what happened.
I am expecting Admission committees at ICO might ask me to
retake OAT. What do you guys think?
My application is rescheduled to be reviewed at the end of Feb.
I am not even sure if i am competitive candidate or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Science GPA 3.4
OAT
Bio 340
G.Chem 330
O.Chem 380
Physics 360
TS 360
Math 360
AA 330
applied for ICO only

i would almost guarantee they will ask you to retake it. my scores were decent, but not as good as yours and i had a 270 in rc. and they mentioned retaking it for better chances to get in

Science GPA 3.4
OAT
Bio 340
G.Chem 330
O.Chem 380
Physics 360
TS 360
Math 360
AA 330
applied for ICO only

Hm that's though. Well personally I had a couple of my sections under a 300 including reading (I think I got a 280) and had an overall AA at 320, and got into OSU. While my OAT scores were average and my GPA (3.48) was average as well it was my extracurricular activities, recommendations, unique shadowing experiences, and my interview that got me into Ohio State. So hopefully you can find encouragement in that. I would probably call the admissions team and if you happen to have established a relationship with anyone there ask them to be upfront and frank with you about your chances. Personally your 220 would be a concern which would lead me to evaluate your collegiate subjects to see how you faired. If you are a well-rounded applicant you doesn't just study all the time locked in his room that will help things and maybe they would overlook your score. My gut says they may ask you to retake it though. I hope I'm wrong, everything works out for you, and you can laugh about it later. Good luck.

Brian :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
My situation is similar to yours, although I have a lower GPA, right around the 3.0, 2.9 clip.

I applied last year to 4 schools with OAT AA:350 TS:360, but RC was 280. No interviews to any of them (albeit in hindsight they are very competitive schools)

This year, I continued to take some courses at a JC, retaking a couple pre-reqs to improve my GPA as much as I can. I retook the OAT, AA: 370, TS: 380, but most importantly, everything over 300 (RC: 350). I applied to 12 schools for safe measure, and I've been accepted to SCO and ICO so far, with 2 more interviews in Jan.

I think that if youre only applying to ICO and no other schools, you've already limited yourself and your chances. Apply to more schools for safe measure, even if ICO is your #1 choice. Retaking the OAT will help, thats for sure, and your GPA is pretty good.

When I was at my interview for ICO, the person interviewing me was on the academic committee..i think assistant dean?..anyways..He saw that the first time I took the OAT, my reading comp was low, and then the 2nd time i took the OAT i was able to bring it up. He mentioned that this was very common, rationing that it probably has to do with the OAT being computer based now, rather than on print. So ICO is aware that it might be a fluke, and be more understanding of your low RC score.

Science GPA 3.4
OAT
Bio 340
G.Chem 330
O.Chem 380
Physics 360
TS 360
Math 360
AA 330
applied for ICO only

I think that you need to look at retaking it. Applying to just 1 school really doesn't give you much to fall back on... Some of the new schools are accepting applicants til June, maybe it would be wise to apply to them as well. I dont know exactly what % correct 220 is, but I know its lower than 10%.

Science GPA 3.4
OAT
Bio 340
G.Chem 330
O.Chem 380
Physics 360
TS 360
Math 360
AA 330
applied for ICO only

I had the same situation last year and my TS was exactly like yours and RC the same (220). I got rejected from ICO last year only beacuase of my RC and this year I retook the OAT my score was the same and I got 280 in my RC and got accepted to ICO,NOVA,PCO and Western. So just retake it and I think you still have time for submitting your new OAT.

Hm that's though. Well personally I had a couple of my sections under a 300 including reading (I think I got a 280) and had an overall AA at 320, and got into OSU. While my OAT scores were average and my GPA (3.48) was average as well it was my extracurricular activities, recommendations, unique shadowing experiences, and my interview that got me into Ohio State. So hopefully you can find encouragement in that. I would probably call the admissions team and if you happen to have established a relationship with anyone there ask them to be upfront and frank with you about your chances. Personally your 220 would be a concern which would lead me to evaluate your collegiate subjects to see how you faired. If you are a well-rounded applicant you doesn't just study all the time locked in his room that will help things and maybe they would overlook your score. My gut says they may ask you to retake it though. I hope I'm wrong, everything works out for you, and you can laugh about it later. Good luck.

Brian :cool:
hi grover your status is similar to mine, I am applying to OSU still waiting for their reply can I ask you what is your TS score if you do not mind, did you get acceptance to OSU for entering class 2009 or you are already an optometry student at OSU?.

Science GPA 3.4
OAT
Bio 340
G.Chem 330
O.Chem 380
Physics 360
TS 360
Math 360
AA 330
applied for ICO only

I REASSURE to all previous posts that they will ask you to retake the OAT, this happend to me last year I got 240 on RC and they ask me to retake the OAT.

Science GPA 3.4
OAT
Bio 340
G.Chem 330
O.Chem 380
Physics 360
TS 360
Math 360
AA 330
applied for ICO only

This confuses me because I had QR360, RC 290 and ended up with AA 320.

There are some posts up here about people who requested that OAT re-score their exams. Make sure you look into that. People who got 360's on all of their sections, scored 200 on the RC. You can contact OAT and ask for them to reevaluate your exam. I would do it if I were you.

And apply to more schools! I think it is foolish to just apply to one school. Ther are other great schools out there that you should apply to also, even if ICO is your #1.

Your AA score is not the average of your QR and RC. They take ALL the questions you answered correctly in all the sections vs the TOTAL amount of questions, then compare it to a 200-400 scale. A similar approach is used for the TS composite score, but this does not include the RC and QR sections.

In theory, even two people who got the same standard scores for all the sections could end up with different composite scores at the end if they missed a different number of questions.

To the OP: you will probably have to retake the test... or see about getting it re-scored if you feel like there was no way you could have scored that low. Definitely a bad situation either way :(

Actually, the AA is a mathematical average of all the individual section scores

340+330+380+360+360+220 = 1990 / 6 = 331
Scores are based on 10 point intervals, so it is rounded down to 330.

There are some posts up here about people who requested that OAT re-score their exams. Make sure you look into that. People who got 360's on all of their sections, scored 200 on the RC. You can contact OAT and ask for them to reevaluate your exam. I would do it if I were you.
Did anyone get a response back? Did they actually change anyone's score?

In general a lot of students do the most poorly on the RC. I think asking them to re score it just because it does not match your other scores is ridiculous. Just because you did poorly on a section doesn't mean there must be something inherently wrong with the test.

If you know that you scored more than 1/3 of the questions right, which corresponds to a 210, contact them. Otherwise, realize you had a really weak spot, improve, and retake the test.

Actually, the AA is a mathematical average of all the individual section scores

340+330+380+360+360+220 = 1990 / 6 = 331
Scores are based on 10 point intervals, so it is rounded down to 330.

The OAT test from opted explains the other way to do it, but maybe it works out to be the same.

The TS is done the way you said. So of the total 140 (?) questions on bio, gc, oc, ph, whatever number of questions you get correct on those are added up and then they standardize it.

The AA however is just a mathematical average of all 6 standardized scores.