My Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mckenna87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I wanted to know if I have a chance of getting into a dental school this year. My aadsas application mailed in July 30th. I have a 3.3 GPA and a 3.3 Science. My DAT score is PA 24, Bio 19, Orgo 19, GC 19, RC 22. AA 19 TS 19. I have 300+ hours dental experience, Job and community involvement around 3000 hours. I applied to about 12 schools. I haven't recieved any interviews but I got 3 rejection letters, so I'm starting to freak out! My GPA is on the low side but I thought I did well on the DAT until I joined pre-dents.com and saw what everyone else got. Do I have a chance to get in this round? Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the schools that you applied to. However, most of the schools that fit into your range of stats (western, USC, temple, etc) have already handed out most, if not all, of their pre-Dec invites. Don't lose hope though, as many of the same schools interview past Dec. One other thing is that you should plan for the worst and register for science classes next semester and ace them. Also, you could take the DAT again and try to score higher to offset the low gpa.

what schools did you apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Three people I know and I all got interview invites to USC yesterday, so don't lose hope for USC just yet! (Nov 3,4,10,17 dates were the options)

I applied to
1. NYU,
2. BU,
3. Tufts
4. Temple
5. UF (I'm a Fl resident)
6. Nova
7. Colorado (fiance is there for law school)
8. Case
7. USC
8. ASDOH
9. Louisville
10. OSU
11. USN

I applied to
1. NYU,
2. BU,
3. Tufts
4. Temple
5. UF (I'm a Fl resident)
6. Nova
7. Colorado (fiance is there for law school)
8. Case
7. USC
8. ASDOH
9. Louisville
10. OSU
11. USN

mckenna, your stats are def, competative. its awful watching people getting interviews and you're not. i was in the same boat last cycle. do you have a state school? don't give up hope, but you might start gearing up for "what can i do to make myself a more attractive applicant for next year". :luck::luck:

Thanks! That makes me feel better. When is a good time to give up hope? Dec? I've been out of school for two years now, so if I don't get in I was thinking of doing a post bac and retaking the DAT but that would mean another two years out of school. I'm thinking maybe I should just go for my masters in something. Then apply after my first year in the masters program and hopefully get in to dental school but its a lot of money to get a masters if I'm just going to go dental school. But if I don't get into dental school after the post bac then I'm really screwed. What do you guys think is a good route to take?

Thanks! That makes me feel better. When is a good time to give up hope? Dec? I've been out of school for two years now, so if I don't get in I was thinking of doing a post bac and retaking the DAT but that would mean another two years out of school. I'm thinking maybe I should just go for my masters in something. Then apply after my first year in the masters program and hopefully get in to dental school but its a lot of money to get a masters if I'm just going to go dental school. But if I don't get into dental school after the post bac then I'm really screwed. What do you guys think is a good route to take?

did you do badly in the core sciences? if you did then a post bacc is a good idea, if not just some A's in some upper level classes. :luck:

I never got less than a B, but I got a few more B's than A's. Do you think I should apply next round and let the schools know I'm doing a post bac? Do you think that would make a difference?

I never got less than a B, but I got a few more B's than A's. Do you think I should apply next round and let the schools know I'm doing a post bac? Do you think that would make a difference?

when you re-apply with a higher gpa they will see it. i dont think letting them know makes a difference. but maybe you could email them, it couldnt hurt. gear up for spring classes!

it just seems like a crap shoot to me at this point.

There are no guarantees for anyone. However, my stats were below yours and I did fine. Good luck, Bro (or sis?)

it just seems like a crap shoot to me at this point.

I agree 100%. With most of those private schools, Boston, Western, USC and... luck plays a big role when you have a lower GPA and DAT score ( Although it is still as good as their advertised admitted class of the year before).

However, in your case, your PAT of 24 might make you stand out.

Yeah this seems rough. I hope you get in OP - kinda selfish though because I have around the same GPA as you lol- so in a way it would be assuring to me. Anyways, GL and I hope you get some interviews/acceptances this year.

I'm a sis
Thanks! I hope I get an interview soon!