my circumstances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdplease185

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I applied to med schools for the 2007-2008 schoolyear and got 3 interviews, 1 waitlist, no acceptances. My stats were extremely low due to personal illness during my college career. My science gpa was 1.56 and my all others gpa was 2.82. My MCAT score was 20R. I spent the past year taking post-bacc classes in upper division biology and chemistry classes, as well as retaking the MCAT. My new science gpa is a 2.27 and my new all others gpa is a 3.05. I got all A's in the classes I took this year. My new MCAT score is a 32R. Even though my GPA is still extremely low, do you think I have any chance of getting into an MD program this year?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you got interviews with your previous stats, you must have a very compelling story. I see no reason why you couldn't improve dramatically (read: get an acceptance) this time around with your improved MCAT score and huge upward trend in grades. Definitely apply again to those 3 schools that showed some interest in you.

Hi. I applied to med schools for the 2007-2008 schoolyear and got 3 interviews, 1 waitlist, no acceptances. My stats were extremely low due to personal illness during my college career. My science gpa was 1.56 and my all others gpa was 2.82. My MCAT score was 20R. I spent the past year taking post-bacc classes in upper division biology and chemistry classes, as well as retaking the MCAT. My new science gpa is a 2.27 and my new all others gpa is a 3.05. I got all A's in the classes I took this year. My new MCAT score is a 32R. Even though my GPA is still extremely low, do you think I have any chance of getting into an MD program this year?

Thanks

I would say that your chances are not good. You may want to seriously consider applying to DO schools. If you had a serious illness then you should have postponed school until you fully recovered. I think most schools are sympathetic to such circumstances (likely the reason why you got 3 interviews), but will not accept you with such a low sGPA. Still, do not give up and keep trying if you really have the desire to get your MD. Best of luck.

Thanks

OP,

while your GPA is significantly lower than the average for matriculation, you may be one of those outlying cases that get in with lower than normal stats. That being said, you should of course try for it again, but maybe now is a good time to start thinking about a back up such as D.O. or a masters program. If you go the masters route and can keep your GPA up (3.5-4.0 range) I would say you have a good shot at it. Also to consider is that after the time it takes to get a masters your MCAT score may have expired for the schools you wish to apply to. I would check their policies regarding MCAT scores. Another thing, call the schools you got interviews at and ask them what you can do to improve your application. Let them know your new GPA and see if they can recommend something to supplement your ap.

Best of Luck to you!:thumbup: