my classmates are getting on my nerves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starlight1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So every time I tell anyone I want to go into Anesthesiology, they scrunch up their face and say 'are you sure you want to do that?' or that doesn't sound like you (I am pretty outgoing, ironically as most anesth. I've met are) and other things I won't even get in to. Although I had initially laughed it off, it is really starting to get on my nerves. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?!

Members don't see this ad.

Wait until clinicals are in full swing and I'm sure the vast majority of them won't be saying that. Prior to doing a rotation I had the ignorant misconception that anesthesiology was boring, unchallenging, and entirely subservient. Perpetual unawareness of the field in general seems to be a common theme among students (and a remarkable number of practicing physicians as well) who haven't had a formal introduction to anesthesiology.

You'll be laughing at them all come match time!

"There all gonna laught at ya !!!"

I concur... when I tell most people I am leaning toward anesthesia, I receive a dumbfounded response. :confused: One that no other specialty decision typically produces. I understand it is out of ignorance, as I too had the same response to an intern when I first came the hospital.

But since December (after my 3rd year Anesthesia clerkship) I have realized what I want to do with my life...

However, I still waiver! If anyone asks the dreaded "So what do you want to do?" I babble through some sort of explination that I haven't completely made a decision and that I'm waiting until I finished the "core clerkships." Then I'll give the a list of possibilities starting with anesthesia.

I can't wait until this time next year when I can say "I'll be doing Anesthesiology at ********" :D

Members don't see this ad :)
KCOM2006 said:
I can't wait until this time next year when I can say "I'll be doing Anesthesiology at ********" :D

What a coincidence!!?! That's the same program I matched at this year. :laugh:

-Skip

Ten years from now, when you're done with residency and have several private practice years under your belt, you'll have the last laugh. You'll laugh all the way to three banks: The job satisfaction bank, the lifestyle bank, and the $$ bank.
starlight1 said:
So every time I tell anyone I want to go into Anesthesiology, they scrunch up their face and say 'are you sure you want to do that?' or that doesn't sound like you (I am pretty outgoing, ironically as most anesth. I've met are) and other things I won't even get in to. Although I had initially laughed it off, it is really starting to get on my nerves. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?!

When i was a 3rd year on my Gen surgery rotation, one of the surg residents asked me what i wanted to go into. I told him Anesthesiology..he then states..."oh.. so you dont even WANT to be a doctor anymore?" :laugh:

Now that im a battle torn intern back on Gen Surgery this month, I think it funny that i just spent a good part of my first day back going through charts and changing THEIR diabetic patients with rotting feet from Regular to ADA diets, formlating bp med regimes for out of control pressures..things that were apparently being neglected. Doctor my %&%*&!

Anyway if you like Anesthesia dont let anyone make you feel bad about it. For me I know it was the best decision. Most people have no clue what anethesiologist do, no clue about the science and the art behind it. I dont even think surgeons understand, much less anyone else in the hosptial. I wouldnt even say I completly understand yet, but that will soon change. BTW check with your med school classmates during residency and see how happy most of them are, id bet youd be surprised.

Actually, almost everyone I've talked to has given me the thumbs up. Even the gunner-surgery people in my class are congratulating me on my career choice. And even the surgeons I've worked with have been very supportive, although they all start out with some anesthesiology jokes, I can tell it's all in good fun. I'm actually quite proud to say that I'm doing anesthesiology. The only person that has given me the "oh, how boring, how can anyone want to do that?" pep talk has been this classmate who I don't really respect at all. DOn't go into gas if you have a big ego. Cuz lots of times, patients won't even know that you're a doctor.

I go to a medical school with with a previously very strong surgery tradition but a very weak anesthesiology department run by a private practice group and a ton of CRNAs, so the field doesn't have a great rep here. I hate to admit it, but in this environment, I do feel a little sheepish when I tell people what I'm going into. Everyone from OB to medicine to surgery asks the typical BS questions: "Why THAT?" "Isn't it boring?" "You want to take SH&T from surgeons your whole life?" I never really have a great really quick comeback, as my interest in the field takes a little time to explain and, like in most things in life, people don't really want to hear it; they just wanted to get their witty little nugget out, look smart, and move on.

Anyway, I hope it's as interesting in real life as it was on rotations.

AMEN!! :D
The whole issue is that I never make judgments about other people's professions yet people seem more than willing to give me their 2 cents.

<----------anesthesia bound. Besides who could complain about being one of the highest paid doctors out there. More than most surgeons. Not only that, after traing, you are considered the top of your field and could aplly for department head. :cool:

Most classmates will have a VERY different perception of career choice by the end of third year. I heard several classmates dog anesthesia last summer, and now when I tell people I'm headed in that direction, they ususally say "wow, that's a great field." I'm on general surgery right now, and I was a admittedly a little sheepish about telling my chief resident about my choice. He grinned and said I was going to be one of the happiest poeple in my class if I truely enjoyed it.

Wow, that's good news to me. i really don't know EXACTLY why i want to be an anesthesiologist, but I also get bugged when I hear people say "Why would you want to put people to sleep all day?". :mad:

I also assume that it's primarily due to ignorance, but when they ask me I feel like I can't give them a good enough response. No matter what I say, they still wont understand why I want to be one.