My concern for majoring in a social science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SFE89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished a year at my community college as undecided and just transferred to a 4 year state university, I haven't taken any pre-med classes yet but will hopefully start this coming semester if classes aren't full. I know I should major in whatever that interest me, but I am interested in both biology and anthropology and having a hard time deciding. My number one is Anthro but my main concern is that fitting pre-meds on top of the major requirement would take longer/have a heavier course load. Wouldn't I have to take many classes per semester? I figured pre-meds are about 30 credit hours, around 36 credit hours with labs if my calculation is right. I'd like to hear from non science majors of how it was taking all the pre-meds on top of the major requirement.

Do you think it would just be more convenient to major in biology, since the major requirements include most pre-meds plus a few non pre-med classes (That's how it is at my university from looking at the biology major requirements). What do you science and non science majors think? It's ok to be bias, I'd like to hear (read) personal opinions about this :) Biology is second on my list, so it's not like I dislike it or anything. I think I would enjoy it as a major.

Members don't see this ad.

I finished a year at my community college as undecided and just transferred to a 4 year state university, I haven't taken any pre-med classes yet but will hopefully start this coming semester if classes aren't full. I know I should major in whatever that interest me, but I am interested in both biology and anthropology and having a hard time deciding. My number one is Anthro but my main concern is that fitting pre-meds on top of the major requirement would take longer/have a heavier course load. Wouldn't I have to take many classes per semester? I figured pre-meds are about 30 credit hours, around 36 credit hours with labs if my calculation is right. I'd like to hear from non science majors of how it was taking all the pre-meds on top of the major requirement.

Do you think it would just be more convenient to major in biology, since the major requirements include most pre-meds plus a few non pre-med classes (That's how it is at my university from looking at the biology major requirements). What do you science and non science majors think? It's ok to be bias, I'd like to hear (read) personal opinions about this :) Biology is second on my list, so it's not like I dislike it or anything. I think I would enjoy it as a major.

The short answer is, major in what you like, med schools don't care. Something like 90% of folks who were "premed" when they started college never end up in med school, so there's a good chance your major will help dictate your non medically related job -- make it something you are actually interested in. The goal isn't really to be efficient, or to take the minimum of extraneous courses. This isnt vocational school -- you are really in college to get a liberal arts education BEFORE you specialize. The goal, if you actually plan on med school, is to do extremely well in college, regardless of the major, participate in lots of cool ECs that you are passionate about, and to pick up the prereqs somewhere along the way. It's not a race, and for many people, taking courses they enjoy and just picking up the prereq sciences even as a postbac after college is over can be much higher yield in getting into the med school of their dreams. Not that t his path is for everyone, but at the end of your 50 year career, nobody is really going to care that you spent 6 years doing college and postbac instead of 4 years of college. But if you end up not becoming a doctor because the advanced sciences whipped your butt in a way that anthro courses you actually enjoy wouldn't,... Well you get my point.

I majored in Psychology and was accepted a month ago. I have my heart set my psychiatry for a while so it was a pretty easy major choice for me. Like the guy said above me, do what you like! I found social science classes to be refreshing after studying for hard sciences so it was actually beneficial for me. Good luck with your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with what (s)he said, but wanted to add something too.

Even though it doesn't matter what you major in if you do a soft science you will need to prove to the adcom that you're capable of doing advanced science coursework, typically beyond the base pre-requisites.

There's some debate on this, but I was told by a couple (Cincinnati and Wisconsin) that if you don't have a strong science background you need to a) do stronger on the MCAT than you otherwise might have to, or b) demonstrate your capability of handling advanced science material in upper level bio or chem classes. Since you're starting out maybe you can do an anthro major and bio minor? The two might go hand in hand more than you think, and if I'd known I wanted to become a doctor back when I was in college I might've done something similar.

Good luck!

I majored in Psychology and was accepted a month ago. I have my heart set my psychiatry for a while so it was a pretty easy major choice for me. Like the guy said above me, do what you like! I found social science classes to be refreshing after studying for hard sciences so it was actually beneficial for me. Good luck with your decision.

This totally mirrors how I feel. I am a psychology major and intend to to do psychiatry after med school. Do what you enjoy, believe me social science majors are a whole lot happier than a professional chemistry major by far. Just from my perspective though.:D

go with anthro. Just work with an advisor and come up with a tentative 4 year course schedule. You should have no problem majoring in a social science and completing your pre-med requirements. I would suggest you take a additional sciences as well (A+P, molecular, and/or genetics).

bottom line, have a plan, and ace your classes!

Even though it doesn't matter what you major in if you do a soft science you will need to prove to the adcom that you're capable of doing advanced science coursework, typically beyond the base pre-reqs...!

This is simply false. Lots of us non science majors took nothing but the prereqs and never had to prove anything. Med schools only need you to take the prereqs. If they wanted you to take more, they would make more things prereqs. They really only require people to prove things to them if they did poorly in the prereqs.

This is simply false. Lots of us non science majors took nothing but the prereqs and never had to prove anything. Med schools only need you to take the prereqs. If they wanted you to take more, they would make more things prereqs. They really only require people to prove things to them if they did poorly in the prereqs.

hey man, I have it from two adcoms (cincinnati and wisconsin). YOU may think differently but it doesn't make it false. On the other hand, because the two adcoms I spoke to think so doesn't make it universal. It's a different perspective and opinion.

I won't say you're full of yourself because you're not, but sometimes you gotta remember that you don't know everything, your application cycle does not apply to everyone, and that this isn't a numbers-only game. There's some perception in there too, and doing well in advance science courses can only help the OP's application.

EDIT: I will add that the adcoms did say that it wasn't necessary for people who've demonstrated their ability to handle rigorous coursework. For me, they said my engineering background was sufficient. For you, your law background was probably enough. But if someone were to do art history as a major they would need something more than just general biology and physics to prove that they could handle med school.

Last edited:
Ok everyone... let's chill on the snarkiness (to dmf ;)) anyway, major in what you like. My major is psychology. I'm not doing it because it's "easy." I'm doing it because I have a genuine interest in why people think and behave in the way they do. This means I am taking all my prereqs as electives. The biggest difference I see in course load is that I won't have time to take ceramics or some such nonsense as an elective. The electives that I am taking, Chemistry 1 and 2, organic 1 and 2, biology 2 (biology 1 was required), physics 1 and 2, are things I'm actually interested in since they will be applicable for my MCAT and beyond. So basically every class I take, save physics because it comes from Satan's minions, I really enjoy.

Take home point: Major in what interests you. If you do that, the course load won't seem quite so bad. Good luck.

Sho-

Thank you everyone for replying. Reading everyone's take on it was very helpful. I definitely need to do some thinking before deciding on a major. Thanks again everyone!

One thing people don't mention often is that with a non-biological emphasis in your major it will be harder to get a bench research position in a lab. I've seen some humanities people do it, but im sure it was more difficult.

If bench research isn't what you want, then obviously this won't be a factor. Just something you might want to consider.