My DAT Breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G-dawg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!! I finished taking the DAT yesterday and ended up scoring pretty high. I was definitely surprised when I saw my scores, and was expecting to get around a 19-20AA (a score I would've been thrilled with, so you can only imagine my reaction to seeing the scores below). I was planning on posting a breakdown regardless since many of the breakdowns helped me shape-up the basis of my studying. Thank you all! Now, let's get into it:

Bio:22

GC:22

OC: 25

PAT:21

RC:20

QR:20

TS:22

AA:22

Some quick background: I'm a senior biology major at a top 40 university, and studied for about a month for about 6-10 hours each day, pretty hardcore. In retrospect, I should've spent more time studying over summer as opposed to during the semester (since I have to play "catch-up" in all my classes) but it is what it is :p.

Materials used: Dat Destroyer, Math Destroyer, DAT Bootcamp, Chad's Videos, Cliffs Bio 3rd edition, my own version of Feralis.
NOTE: I truly feel that with these preparatory materials, anyone can succeed as long as you study hard. No matter what, be truthful to yourself when studying. All of these materials are 10/10 for me, as I feel all of them definitely helped me succeed.

How I studied for each section:

Bio 22: I am a bio major, so I was feeling pretty confident, but still, I knew that they would probably test me on really obscure topics, and they did...so be ready for that. Cliff's AP Bio coupled with Feralis Bio notes for content, and DAT destroyer and DAT Bootcamp for questions. DO ALL OF THESE. They're amazing.

GC 22: Gen chem I and II were BY FAR my worst classes I've ever taken in my life...so if I'm able to reverse this, I am absolutely certain all of you guys can too!!! Chad's videos + quizzes pretty much covered everything that was tested. I supplemented these with DAT destroyer and Bootcamp, again, and really saw improvements quickly.

OC 25: Orgo was my in college. I only took orgo I, but I took it two years ago, so I had to re-learn everything from Chad and then practiced my knowledge, again (surprise-surprise), with Destroyer + Bootcamp.

PAT 21: Bootcamp >>>> CDP. CDP was helpful (I guess) for introducing everything, but is waaay overpriced for what it's worth. Bootcamp is essential here!! Just practice, and do NOT get discouraged by Bootcamp exams, plan to score 1-2 points higher on the real thing. Bootcamp was incredibly representative, but definitely harder than the actual (which is a good thing). Also, there is an amazing youtube tutorial for hole punching if you haven't already seen it:

RC 20: Wow, I suck at reading comp but I'll take a 20 RC any day of the week! I did 3 bootcamp exams trying a paragraph-mapping method, but that did not work well for me. On the real deal, I just used search-and-destroy for all 3 passages since the questions are primarily regurgitate information but in different words. Like seriously, WTF is the point of this if it doesn't actually test "comprehension..." Oh well, screw it...NEXT

QR 20: Chad's QR +Dat destroyer + Math destroyer. Again, learned stuff from Chad, then practiced everything the latter. Destroyer ruled for this! I did not use Bootcamp's QR because I heard it was too hard.

**Here are my ADA PRACTICE SCORES (compare away!!):

2007 DAT: Too easy, but similar format. Bio-24; GC-23; OC-30; PAT: 20; RC: n/a; QR: n/a

2009 DAT: Bio-23; GC-21; OC-23 ;everything else n/a

These above exams are pretty representative of what is expected on the actual sciences section, cause my scores ended up being remarkably similar to the average of these^

**Bootcamp exams: (bio/gc/oc/pat/rc/qr)

1. 23/19/20/NA/18/NA

2. 20/19/20/17/16/NA

3. 21/23/19/17/18/NA

4. 18/20/20/18/NA/NA

5. 22/19/21/18/NA/NA

Pat exams 6-8: 18, 19, 19

^So yeah, I didn't really take FULL advantage of all of the Bootcamp practice tests, you guys definitely should though! Also, this is very important: Do NOT get discouraged by low practice scores, the real DAT actually isn't that bad! The best thing about Bootcamp is that it forces you to do harder problems in the same amount of time on the actual DAT, so please do NOT worry about timing if you are unable to finish some bootcamp exams (namely RC and PAT).

D-DAY: I ate an egg-bagel cheese with a glass of milk, and a multivitamin for breakfast this morning. My exam was at 8am (yeah, it sucks, I know). I arrived at the testing center 45 minutes in advance, and they got me started right away. Protocol (in case anyone isn't familiar: put belongings in a locker, leave food on designated food shelf, show ID's, get fingerprinted, confirm information, check-in, get metal-detected, receive two pink double sided laminated boards with grids, and fine-point sharpies, and get seated. BEGIN EXAM: Oh crap, it's starting.

BIO: started off nice, but then I got some REALLY obscure questions, details that one would normally dismiss as unimportant while studying, but I think I was able to eliminate some choices. No plant questions (unfortunate, cause I had extensively prepared for those) and only one animal diversity question (also unfortunate for the same reason). Lots of physio, so be sure to be comfortable with it!

GC: was almost too good to be true. I was cruising through many of them, simple rearrangements of equations, common bioling point/ranking acidity questions, no too sure what I missed here.

OC: was too good to be true (i.e. it was easy to go through) and had 8 minutes to spare. I looked back at some of the stupid bio questions, and decided not to change any of my initial answers.

PAT: keyholes kind of sucked, they were on par with bootcamp (which is already pretty tough for keyholes). TFE was a lot easier, as it was pretty easy to eliminate choices (avoid line counting because it will NOT work). Angles... I don't want to sound arrogant, but seriously, these angles were EASIER than anything I had practiced before. Maybe one tough ranking question, the rest were just obvious to me (so definitely practice these! Even while going through Bootcamp's solutions, I would re-do them and stare at them until I could see an apparent discrepancy. Just as Ari says, study the PAT solutions CAREFULLY!). Hole punching: only 1 tough hole, everything else was straightforward. Cube counting: expect 10-14 cubes on average, one of mine had 17 though, but not too bad. Pattern folding: surprisingly straightforward, Bootcamp helped immensely with this!

RC: 3 words... search-and-destroy

QR: a lot of straightforward calculations. I actually went in blind expecting to run out of time, but math Destroyer was easily the most helpful for this section. I went through exams 1-5 and saw a lot of EERILY similar questions, so be sure to study up on those.

In the end, and I emphasize this for a reason: DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED by the DAT, nor any of your practice exams!! They're meant to be more challenging to better prepare you for the real deal. The real DAT wasn't nearly as hard as some of them, albeit it had a bunch of random questions in it to ensure no one gets 30's across the board...

Nonetheless, feel absolutely free to ask questions!! I will get to them as soon as I can. Now that you know that it is really not that bad and that anyone can do it, go and kill it! It's your turn.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Way to go man. Awesome scores and def. made me feel a lot better 7 days before my test as I'm on the same level as you in terms of Bootcamp practice exams.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations and great scores. How many times did you go through DAT Destroyer. Also, did you do Math Destroyer timed or untimed and how many times did you do Math Destroyer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys!

Congratulations and great scores. How many times did you go through DAT Destroyer. Also, did you do Math Destroyer timed or untimed and how many times did you do Math Destroyer?

^ I ran through Dat destroyer 2 times, did math destroyer exams 1-10 and went through exams 1-5 (in Math destroyer) a second time. Everything was untimed. Also note, that I am not the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to math, so yeahhh... you got this!

OMG, just Genious!! "No matter what, be truthful to yourself when studying" by G-dawg
Congratulations!!!

the problem is with the questions that have half punches in them... he forgot to do a sample question on those

the problem is with the questions that have half punches in them... he forgot to do a sample question on those

Yeah those can get tricky at times. On my DAT, however, I only had one half-punch problem and it was pretty straightforward (luckily)! If you practice using Az's axis of symmetry method and couple that with Bootcamp's hole punching problems (they have PLENTY of half punches to practice), you will be good to go. And don't feel bad about missing Bootcamp PAT questions, they are designed to be harder than the real thing and will ultimately help you kick the real thing's A$$.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any tips on TFE or keyhole or cube counting ?
and for tfe, I sometimes use line counting method. Does that still work for on the dat questions?

TFE - do NOT depend on line counting, I was told about this going into the exam but just in case I even checked to see if it would be possible and it wasn't. I know this may sound tough at first, but it really is not that bad: first, I would look at the two views I'm given and tried viewing the 3-dimensional picture, and then I would look at the choices (usually you can narrow down to two right away if you train yourself to view the givens in 3d) -- especially on the real DAT. I would suggest looking at bootcamp exam 1 solutions (the free one) if you haven't already, and look at the 3D shape given and try seeing WHY the answer is what it is. In other words, use it as sort of a walkthrough to know what to expect and how to approach these types of problems. I'm not aware of any ground-breaking tricks for TFE, I just know it TAKES TIME to get used to, and becomes quite simple (and even kinda fun) once you're used to it!

Keyholes - I would kind of approach these like TFE in that we are trying to fit our object of interest through a Top, Front, or End view. I would look at the shape, and start by looking at the top view (and before seeing the choices, my mind would create a "rough" image of what it should look like from the top. Then, I would look at the choices that I would believe are looking from the top, and eliminate if any of them had any inconsistencies with my 'rough' view of the given object. Next, I would do the same thing, but this time looking at it from the Front view, and eliminate any front view choices that were off. Lastly, the end view. I think this is a pretty efficient way to approach these because you will be saving time not having to look at the same keyhole multiple times (since time is very valuable on the PAT section). This also, takes practice and I would suggest looking at the free bootcamp exam if you haven't already done so.

Cube Counting - This video does a good job of explaining how to approach cube counting. The only twist I added was that I would tally/count the sides of ALL the cubes at the bottom of the entire shape, and work my way up, level by level. On my actual DAT, I used the mouse to help me keep track of which cube I left off on, and this way, I would not have to waste time recounting all of the cubes again if I had lost my place. Also, expect 15 or less cubes per shape (generally speaking) on the real DAT. Many of the practice materials go up to like 20, or 30, a little overkill, but they help you master whatever technique you end up choosing.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you think it is worth memorizing the taxonomy stuff?

^ I would say yes! From what I've heard people end up getting at least 1-2 questions from taxonomy (I did also) and getting a question right vs getting it wrong will amount to either a big increase or dip in you Bio score, and consequently, your TS as well. You cannot afford to lose any 'easy points' because they will already throw some really arbitrary bio questions your way (in order to try lowering your score) so it would be in your best interest to make sure you are as ready as possible for them, especially if you feel like you have the time to do so!

Last edited:
^ I would say "yes"! From what I've heard people end up getting at least 1-2 questions from taxonomy (I did also) and getting a question right vs getting it wrong will amount to either a big increase or dip in you Bio score, and consequently, your TS as well. You cannot afford to lose any 'easy points' because they will already throw some really arbitrary bio questions your way (in order to try lowering your score) so it would be in your best interest to make sure you are as ready as possible for them, especially if you feel like you have the time to do so!
Got it. Thanks. So, I believe one should know plants and ecology as well.

G-dawg,

Thank you so much for all of your advice!! I also had really similar scores to you and found your post very helpful. Thank you and congratulations!!!

Nice work! I was wondering about the questions that you said were "out there" to ensure test takers miss a few. What kinds of subjects could I brush up on to be less surprised on test day?

Hi! I was just wondering, if you make a mistake (very stupid mistake) on a simple question on the dat (ie. In the biology section) would it affect your mark by a lot? Just realized I missed the square root for allele frequency and now I'm beating my head up about it! Thank you!

Hi! I was just wondering, if you make a mistake (very stupid mistake) on a simple question on the dat (ie. In the biology section) would it affect your mark by a lot? Just realized I missed the square root for allele frequency and now I'm beating my head up about it! Thank you!

For Organic Chemistry, I'm certain I missed only 1 question and ended up getting a 25, for all other sections, I would assume that you get a mark according to some algorithm that takes into account everyone else who took the same DAT you did. Not entirely sure though, sorry.