My DAT Breakdown!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted767916

Hi guys, I recently took the DAT and this is my breakdown/advice to those who are going to take the DAT in the future!

I'm a financial need student so paying for the test was rough, buying studying materials was even more rough. If you're in a financial crunch like me only buy DAT bootcamp, DAT destroyer/math destroyer, and Chad's Videos; other resources I tried were outdated or even worse incorrect.

Perceptual Ability 22: This section was definitely my most worrying section, I would consistently score 15 or 16 on this section on bootcamp. I was so embarrassed I would get like all of them wrong. My biggest advice is just practice and timing; for angle ranking I use to always second guess myself and waste time. Bootcamp is amazing for this section.

Quantitative Reasoning 22: Honestly, I didn't practice enough for this section. I was too confident because I was an engineering major. My biggest advice is breadth; there are a lot of easy math topics I just failed to study for and couldn't answer on the exam because I forgot how to do them. I feel this section is the easiest to improve on for the majority of students. Bootcamp was a lot easier than my actual test and destroyer I used it briefly and then I was like nah; destroyer looking back is more representative of my real exam.

Reading Comprehension 27: My personal opinion on the reading section is that it's the hardest to improve on; you can improve definitely but it's hard to versus the other sections as it requires more time to develop good reading skills. I've always been a reader so this section was smooth sailing. Don't bother studying for topics because they're really random. Bootcamp was accurate to the actual test but the text they used were a bit longer it seemed.

Biology 22: I was sad because I'm a biology major and this section was my best while I was studying. When people say study for breadth in biology they really mean breadth because there was a lot of things that could be tested. DAT destroyer and bootcamp were great resources; try to find other sources as well besides feralis notes.

General Chemistry 23: Same thing as biology, I did well during this section but worse on the actual exam. Once again, study in breadth! So many topics I didn't study for showed up on the exam; for me that was laboratory techniques oh man. Destroyer and bootcamp were great resources; I just realized I didn't do the entire general chemistry section on destroyer, do all of it!

Organic Chemistry 27: I always thought I was good at organic chemistry, but it was my lowest grade and hence it made me feel not confident about this section. My lack of confidence made me really prepare for this section as I went all out on this section using chad's videos to supplement my learning materials. His notes/outlines really helped me out!

Total Science 24; Academic Average 24:

My biggest advice is spending all your focus and attention to studying; don't listen to music or have your phone out. Just tough it out. I spent probably 2 months studying for the exam and then took a week break to take a mental break which might not be for everyone but for me your mental state is really important when you take the exam, need to be calm, focused, and confident!
Use destroyer as a learning tool first; people keep saying you don't have to do all of it to get a 20 AA, which is probably true. However, if you want to get above a 20 you definitely need to do the entire thing. Then use bootcamp once you studied all your material to judge where you're at what you need to study on more; I used it as a study material and I really regret it. Lastly, focus your studies on your weak points, yeah I could have studied more for math but I spent that time studying for the PAT and OC so it's somewhat balanced out I guess.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! C:

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 1397718551.png
    1397718551.png
    932.5 KB · Views: 173
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users