my dat scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sk06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i took the dat this morning, here are my scores:

PAT:15
QR:17
RC:19
BIO:21
GCHM:20
OCHM:22
TS:21
AA:20

I don't post on here much but this site has been really helpful so thanks to everyone for all the advice. I know the PAT & QR are quite low but I def don't plan on a retake. What do you guys think of my scores?

Members don't see this ad.

u did well in the sciences, which are probably the most important. If you have a decent gpa (above a 3.3) i think u hve a good shot of getting in. What did u use to study? what was most helpful?

I think that you did well, you are in the 83th percentile as far as AA which is good. If anything, it just shows that you are not a visual learner, which is ok (at least that is what I get from ur scores). A good GPA should get you in I think. Relax now that it is over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Id call the schools you are applying to and check on if they have any cut offs. Some require a score of 16+ on every section. Good luck to you.

u did well in the sciences, which are probably the most important. If you have a decent gpa (above a 3.3) i think u hve a good shot of getting in. What did u use to study? what was most helpful?

thanks for the support guys! My gpa is on the low side which concerns me but my undergrad was really tough for me for some reason. Anyways, this is how I studied & what I used:

started off going through the Kaplan blue book first taking notes on all the chapters. Then I went through EK Bio & G-chem & added onto my notes from Kaplan with those. (EK really helps to explain concepts in these subjects). I bought Schaum's bio outline for help with ecology & evolution stuff. It's a little too detailed though. I also got Barron's for the PAT section. The best investment I made, however, was the DAT Destroyer like everyone says. It really helps you nail the sciences. I did all the science problems & made sure I understood why I got problems right & wrong. I wrote down solutions to problems I missed & new knowledge I gained from the explanations and kept reading over those notes 100xs (or so it seemed)!!

I spent a lot of time on gchem & ochem the last few weeks since it's been 3 years since i've taken those & even looked up rxns I didnt understand in my old ochem notes & textbook. Destroyer really helps for ochem! I'm a bio major so I really didnt mind studying for bio & I knew a lot of the stuff already.

*I started light studying around mid-April like 2-3 hours/day and then put in 6 hours/day in June but took off on weekends & took lots of breaks. Starting July up till the test ~8 hours/day & 10-16 the last 2 weeks. I don't really recommend starting too early for this exam since it requires so much memorization b/c some stuff I studied in April/May I forgot in July. I also didnt really practice PAT & QR as you can prob tell b/c I was so worried about the chemistries. I took 3 practice tests within the last 2 weeks (1 from Kaplan, 2 from Achiever- all 3 much harder than the actual DAT in my opinion).

Gchem on actual is basically all conceptual ?s like everyone is saying (got only 2 calcs) & I didnt get any classification/taxonomy questions thank god. Angles are hard like everyone is saying and RC has author's tone questions u should watch out for. Time is a huge issue in QR (i had to guess on many ?s b/c i was running out of time).

Good luck! It seems like I did a lot of work but i still went out on weekends & took breaks & only stopped everything about 4 weeks b4 the exam. All the hard work is worth it in the end. Ok sorry for such a long msg hope it helped someone out! :)