my destroyer book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaf004

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, a friend of mine lent me his half used and seriously abused destroyer book. I separately purchased math destroyer, so I have that going for me.

However, I am kinda wondering, should I even use this destroyer book? It is written all over, scratches and scribbles everywhere, and there are even some pages where his little sister took a crayon to and the thing is pretty much nuked halfway through each section. The questions are still readable, but the answers are circled so many times you would have to cover them up as to not give them away. He used it to take the DAT in june of 2013, so I would guess that it is the 2012 edition? but not sure what the perks would be of dropping another 150 bucks on a new one.

This is my second DAT, and I am just a little iffy about spending more money on it. Give me your opinion! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

That's kinda rough. You def. need good resources to study from. If covering up the answers work then I would just do that and work the problems out on another piece of paper. I'm using the DAT destroyer from 2010 still for orgo and gen chem and I'm pretty sure it's still very relevant. Although mine has math destroyer built into it which is weird, since they sell that separately now.

The way that I used the destroyer and all my resources is when I would get a question wrong I would re write the whole question in a smaller notebook starting with the subject that the question is about along with all the answers and explanations as to why each question is wrong. I go through these notebooks once a day to jog my memory about things I don't know well. So I kind of remember which answer is correct when I see the questions in the destroyer again but the important thing is that you can work the problem out to get that answer, regardless if you know it's correct.

Reactions: 1 user
There was a breakdown about a student who got a 25 using the 2012 Destroyer. Although, he did started studying a year or so in advance I think.
I personally don't think you really have to spend another $150 for a new edition (I have the 2012 edition) since quite a few members have used older versions and done well.

The 2012 version is really but that is not the problem. The main problem is that it has the answers circled so many times. There's no point in learning something if you can see the answers. On the real test you will not have answers circled to indicate that its a right answer. If I was doing destroyer and I saw circled answers it would be irritating to me to see the answer without even solving it my way or understanding it. Also, think about covering up all the answers for every question that is circled. That would be a time waste for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
The 2012 version is really but that is not the problem. The main problem is that it has the answers circled so many times. There's no point in learning something if you can see the answers. On the real test you will not have answers circled to indicate that its a right answer. If I was doing destroyer and I saw circled answers it would be irritating to me to see the answer without even solving it my way or understanding it. Also, think about covering up all the answers for every question that is circled. That would be a time waste for me.
Ah. Apologies for the confusion. Do you think white out could be an option? It may take a while but it may work.

That's kinda rough. You def. need good resources to study from. If covering up the answers work then I would just do that and work the problems out on another piece of paper. I'm using the DAT destroyer from 2010 still for orgo and gen chem and I'm pretty sure it's still very relevant. Although mine has math destroyer built into it which is weird, since they sell that separately now.

The way that I used the destroyer and all my resources is when I would get a question wrong I would re write the whole question in a smaller notebook starting with the subject that the question is about along with all the answers and explanations as to why each question is wrong. I go through these notebooks once a day to jog my memory about things I don't know well. So I kind of remember which answer is correct when I see the questions in the destroyer again but the important thing is that you can work the problem out to get that answer, regardless if you know it's correct.
Thats an awesome method, I will probably do that if I have enough time. I am taking the DAT on October 17th, but I might push it another week or so.

I am not concerned about covering up the answers being too much of a waste of time, but think of this, on the real DAT SO MUCH of the test is doing quick mental math and making approximations that you rely on seeing the answer choices in order to narrow down possible answers. However, I haven't actually started using destroyer, so I don't know if the GC questions are calculator based or made for mental math like the real test is. But yeah, either way, it is going to be annoying. Even some of the pages are ripped out and I had to find them in various parts of the book and put them back in order lol, but hey, its free

Ah. Apologies for the confusion. Do you think white out could be an option? It may take a while but it may work.
Hey, NP, that was a part of my concern too (it being the older book). Someone posted in another thread "why not buy the newest materials, its an investment", but I think that after doing Chad's, destroyer probably is more of a speed check rather than an educational thing.

Hey, NP, that was a part of my concern too (it being the older book). Someone posted in another thread "why not buy the newest materials, its an investment", but I think that after doing Chad's, destroyer probably is more of a speed check rather than an educational thing.

It can be used for both actually. However, you shouldn't use it to test yourself. Bootcamp is usually what you will use to test yourself. Destroyer simply overprepares you. Which is a good thing lol

Are just the letters circled? Cant you take a marker and black out A,B,C,D; you will still be able to tell which one is which

Guys. It is almost 400$ to take the DAT. Do you think it is worth taking a risk and not getting a new edition of any materials? They are constantly updated with new questions. Any question could be a difference between 19 and 21. Topscore, Destroyer, Kaplan, are always updated.

Reactions: 3 users
This is true, but i don't think i have the time to buy it for this next test. If i had to do it a 3rd time then i would definitely side with you. I am just going to try to cover it up as best i can and see how that goes i guess. At least my math destroyer is new

I had a similar issue with my destroyer. Honestly, I would not waste 150$ on a new edition, because really how much different could it be. 95% of it will be the same exact questions (I actually have both 2012 and 2014, theres only about 20 different problems). What I did was just circle ALL the answers with a dark pen quick before I took the exam so you couldn't tell which was the answer. It took about 2 minutes and I didn't have any problems.

Honestly I would buy the most current destroyer because those questions are more similar to the ones landing, this is the most important test you're taking in your life, and you definitely don't want to skimp out on it but that's just my opinion.

[QUOTEdentalgirl101, post: 15711294, member: 622042"]Honestly I would buy the most current destroyer because those questions are more similar to the ones landing, this is the most important test you're taking in your life, and you definitely don't want to skimp out on it but that's just my opinion.[/QUOTE]
And I totally agree, and I just wish I ordered a new one a few weeks ago! I think it's too close to my test time to wait for the new one.God forbid I have to take the test a 3rd time, but in that case I am definitely getting the newest version. Did you take the DAT yet?

I would 100% get the new destroyer....I have retaken the test as you are about to! I wrote a couple posts before why it is necessary to have the latest version, its important because there are 100s of new questions. So I would for sure get a new destroyer. Check out my breakdown too on how to use it!

And I totally agree, and I just wish I ordered a new one a few weeks ago! I think it's too close to my test time to wait for the new one.God forbid I have to take the test a 3rd time, but in that case I am definitely getting the newest version. Did you take the DAT yet?

I ordered mine on May 26th (Memorial Day) and received it May 30th (Friday). Nothing is opened on Memorial Day so I guess they shipped it out the following day. Also, I don't live in NY. I live in the Midwest.

alright that settles it! I am buying the new one right now! Thanks for your input everyone!

alright that settles it! I am buying the new one right now! Thanks for your input everyone!

Haha I don't wanna force you to buy it man. Majority of the stuff will probably be the same but I was just giving my input. If you are good with the older version then definitely continue to use it.

well I just ordered it, how about I look through it and tell you guys exactly how many questions are different? that will give me a good 15 minutes of procrastination.

Here my 2 cents. Get the new one. Orgoman updates their material very often, and they also add new questions.
New questions added could be the difference between an 18 and a 21. And if you have any questions you can always post here.
good luck

Here my 2 cents. Get the new one. Orgoman updates their material very often, and they also add new questions.
New questions added could be the difference between an 18 and a 21. And if you have any questions you can always post here.
good luck
thanks, I ordered the new one last night and it should be here by Thursday