My Dry Eye Problem

Started by fkajoshaj
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fkajoshaj

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To all practicing OD's,

I was wondering if I can receive any advice as to what steps I should take next in trying to find a solution to my dry eye condition that has been affecting my everyday life. My eyes are constantly burning, most times red and feel really dry. The optometrist I currently work for has done the schirmer's test only to confirm that I do have dry eye syndrome. If I remember correctly, I fell between the 7-9mm mark.

I have tried ALL of the following topical drops in hopes of finding a permanent solution:

-Vigamox (in case I had an infection)

-Zylet- this worked the best for me. However, the doc advised me to stop once I was done tapering the dosage. He told me that the steroid would inhibit my natural defense mechanism to fight off any antigen, and could also risk increasing my IOP.

-Zaditor (got the redness out, however, did not alleviate the dryness and burning sensation. My eyes are rarely itchy so I do not believe my dry eyes is caused by allergies)

-Lotemax
-Systane
-Gel Tears

None of which helped me find a permanent solution. I noticed that even when I try to focus, my eyes begin to tear and burn and turn red. It is really annoying me.

Does anyone doc out there, have any advice as to what I should do next?

P.S.
My doc advised me not to get punctal plugs
 
This probably isn't the place for medical advice, but in general what I tell patients to do about about dry eye is:
  • Avoid smoke, other irritants, angle AC vents away
  • Drink more water, dry eye is worse if you're dehydrated
  • Avoid caffiene, alchohol (also dehydrate)
  • uncorrected refractive error? CL wearer?
  • try to increase blink rate (esp at computer/reading)
  • Fish oil supplement (triglyceride prep over ester-based)
  • Artificial tears/ gel in pm (temp relief)
  • Punctal plugs (only in some cases)
  • Lotemax-may stimulate meib. glands
  • Restasis, $$ (works well, but takes 4-6 weeks to really kick in)
  • R/O sytemic causes (meds, Sjoogren's, rheumetiod
Sometimes the simpliest solutions are most effective, sometimes you have to get more complex
 
Status
Not open for further replies.