My experience in applying to DPT programs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

89bogues

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Beware - long! (but I think it is a good read for those applying)

I have been lurking here for a few years and have found a lot of useful information and insight on this forum. I recently applied to two state schools and was accepted to both. This thread will relate my experience in applying to DPT programs. It will probably also include some rambling.

Background
First, I am a single non-traditional student and a veteran. When I decided to pursue PT I had already completed two years of undergrad, in which I had earned a sub 2.0 gpa (not the best place to start). Once I started doing research and looking at program requirements I had serious doubts about whether I could even get into a DPT program. After an additional 3 yrs of school making up for the first 2 years my stats were 2.99 cgpa (PTCAS), 3.5 sgpa, 3.9 pgpa, 3.9 last 60hrs gpa, and a 320 4.0w GRE.

GRE
For the GRE, I took it twice to raise my writing score. I studied for about a week the first time and a few days the second time. My first score was a 317 3.5W and my second score was a 320 4.0. The GRE website has both study material and free downloadable software with two practice tests. There wasn't much material for the verbal portion so if you struggle with that you might have to look elsewhere. I spent most of my time brushing up on math and taking the practice tests. I am a firm believer that the GRE can be studied for and that most people can get a good score on it if they put in the time. I definitely think I could have gotten a higher score had I spent a few months studying for it, but I didn't think a higher score would make much difference in the eyes of admissions committees.

Grades/GPA
With a low cgpa the first thing I did was research schools that focused on recent coursework and GRE scores. There are many schools that will use your last 60hrs gpa in lieu of cgpa if it is higher. A simple google search for "physical therapy schools that look at last 60 hrs" will bring up most of them. I am from AR so here are a few off the top of my head from surrounding areas.

Schools that look at last 60hrs
Central Arkansas
Arkansas State
Texas State
Texas Womens
North Texas
San Angelo
Missouri
Wichita State
North Florida
Central Florida
St. Augustine
Northern Illinois
Chicago

Essays/personal statements
For the essay I wrote something that was thoughtful and conveyed my understanding of the profession and my desire to practice PT. I also proof read it myself and had it proof read at my school writing center.

Observation
For observation I completed 80hrs of obs. in various settings. This is a great time to show professionalism and get to know PTs. You will likely need reference letters from some of them as I did. I guaged which PTs I worked with liked me the most and asked them to write reference letters. In my interview I was complemented on how good they were. The interviewer also commented that many of the applicants had many more obs. hrs. than I did, and asked how I knew I really wanted to be a PT with so few hrs. My answer was that I was sure I wanted to become a PT after doing 10hrs of observation, and that while 80hrs of observation might not have been enough for some people it was certainly enough for me. This seemed to satisfy the two interviewers.

Deciding which schools to apply to
I started with a list of over twenty schools but after doing hours and hours of research I was able to whittle it down to around six and eventually applied to only two. Every school I looked at had a comprehensive website listing requirements for admissions, and most had a list of the average stats for the last cohort accepted to the program. The biggest factors on my decision of what schools to apply to were whether or not I met the requirements, if I had a chance to get in, tuition, location, and finally school rep and licensure/grad rates.

The first school I applied to, which I really liked but was a little far from home, had a very early admissions cycle so once I was accepted I only had to apply to my first choice school and I was done with applications. Had I not been accepted to that first school I was ready to send in another round of applications to schools with later deadlines.

A major area I researched was tuition policies for out of state residents. I am a veteran so policies are a little different for me, but there are various schools that have very lenient policies which waive out of state tuition after one year or waive out of state tuition for various other reasons. You just have to do the research to figure out which schools do this because it usually isn't broadcasted. In my case I spent a lot of time reading different state laws regarding residency policies that were specific to veterans. (The new federal VA reform bill grants in state tuition to veterans but does not apply to me because I have been out of the Army for too long. This is why you actually have to read the law and not just the headlines.)

Interview
Getting an interview is 90% of the battle. I pretty much looked at it as a pass fail situation in which I had to demonstrate professionalism, be personable, pleasant, knowledgeable, and convey my desire to be a PT. My first interview was an individual interview with two interviewers. My second interview was a group interview with six applicants and six interviewers. Both lasted around 30 min. The group interview was a little less intense due to it being my second, and the questions being spread out among the applicants. As I was in the first chair, I answered the first few questions first and then kind of held back to let some of the other applicants go first (they were kind of timid). It really sucks answering a question last. After five people have answered the same question it is hard to come up with something original I found myself stumped and stumbling a bit by the time they got to me on one question. I wore a suit and tie to both interviews. I didn't have any memorized or rehearsed answers (some applicants did), but I did have a general idea of what I would say to your standard DPT interview questions, which seemed to work well. Overall both interviews went well.

Final advice
In the end I was accepted to two schools including my first choice school where I live and completed my B.S.

My advice to anyone, especially those without stellar stats, is to research, research, research! While programs look at many of the same things, they are different enough that you might be a shoe in at one school but be an automatic rejection at another.

Low cgpa- find a school that looks at your last 60hrs instead.
Low GRE- some schools don't even require it or place little emphasis on it or vice-versa (or study/practice harder)
Low pgpa or sgpa- some schools look at one or both and some schools look at neither.
Low stats overall- find a school that likes extra curriculars, reference letters, essays, etc.

Find schools that are looking for your strengths and not your weaknesses, or change so you have the strengths they are looking for. Find schools that won't leave you in debt forever! If you are thinking of paying out of your own pocket to attend a private school over a public school please first use an online calculator to figure out what your monthly payments will be after school. The difference when I did it was somewhere between a new car payment and a mortgage payment. If an expensive school is your only choice then do what you have to and look for other ways of offsetting the debt, but at least be aware of the financial ramifications going in.

That is all I can think of for now.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users
Thank you for posting this I appreciate the effort. I am looking to apply next round and am nervous about the process.

Reactions: 1 user
My advice to anyone, especially those without stellar stats, is to research, research, research. While programs look at many of the same things they are different enough that you might be a shoe in at one school but be an automatic rejection at another.

:bow:

I am going to quote this post repeatedly in every future thread asking can I get into PT school with a low GPA. Seems like we've had a lot of posters lately who's strategy is to shoot their application out at random to 30 different schools. Thank you for explaining how to put in the effort to employ a sniping method rather than the spray and pray method. :thumbup:

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks abynormal. This forum has a lot of good information and advice. It definitely helped me in navigating through the admissions process. I am glad I found it.

Thanks knj27. It boggles my mind when people apply to 20 schools. You can only go to one. I found that as I did more and more research for each school I was able to decide to eliminate or focus more on that school by looking at things like prerequisite classes, admission requirements, how applications were reviewed and scored, tuition, location, average acceptance stats, etc. In the end I had a small list of schools that I thought I had a good chance of getting into and were a good fit for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks knj27. It boggles my mind when people apply to 20 schools. You can only go to one.

For MD, an applicant with mediocre stats has to apply to easily 20+ programs to hope for an acceptance. For PT it is probably more like 5-7 well-targeted schools to be safe.

You applying to 2 schools and getting into both with a 2.99 is rare. Clearly it was possible because the rest of your application was strong enough to make up for it at those schools. But your example nonetheless highlights while applying to 20+ schools is an inefficient strategy in PT. I think the fact that your pre-req GPA was so good was key. Having a high pGPA and a low cGPA seems to be better than the opposite situation to me.

Did I really just write a 1400 word essay when I didn't have to, and then revise it? I barely do that for school papers.
Those of you whom post all the time answering all sorts of questions have my admiration and thanks.

For MD, an applicant with mediocre stats has to apply to easily 20+ programs to hope for an acceptance. For PT it is probably more like 5-7 well-targeted schools to be safe.

You applying to 2 schools and getting into both with a 2.99 is rare.

I agree MD/DO is a different animal with much larger applicant pools.

As far as having a 2.99 cgpa, I got lucky. My first choice school had a 3.00 cut off but I did the research and knew they calculated gpa differently than PTCAS so they had my cgpa as a 3.07. Having above a 3.00 was a stipulation to be able to substitute my recent coursework gpa for cgpa, but I made it, barely.

Last edited:
As far as having a 2.99 cgpa, I got lucky. My first choice school had a 3.00 cut off but I did the research and new they calculated gpa differently than PTCAS so they had my cgpa as a 3.07. Having above a 3.00 was a stipulation to be able to substitute my recent coursework gpa for cgpa, but I made it, barely.

These are the nitty gritty details that a lot of applicants fail to look into for each school.

Did I really just write a 1400 word essay when I didn't have to, and then revise it? I barely do that for school papers.
Those of you whom post all the time answering all sorts of questions have my admiration and thanks.

:lol:

You have our admiration and thanks as well.

Can't believe I spelled knew as new, and was then quoted. It'll be there forever:(.

Reactions: 2 users
I could change it....but I'm not going to :vamp:

LOL. It's okay. There are probably still plenty of errors in my first post to go along with it.

This was awesome, thank you for writing that and for your service.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for this!
I just want to add a couple more schools I've found in my research that don't require the traditional 3.0 cumulative GPAs:
East Tennessee U.--does not even consider overall gpa, just prereq gpa (however they have early decision which left zero seats for regular admissions last round)
Dominican College of Blauvelt (NY)--looks at last 60 cr hrs (it's a non-traditional program that takes place during the weekends to allow for work, etc.)
Brooks College of Health (FL)-- last 60
U. of Utah-- requires an "undergraduate GPA minimum of 3.0 based on all undergraduate work OR work completed during the last 2 years of study, whichever is higher." (but it does require a 3.0 prereq)

Also, developing DPT programs tend to have lower GPA requirements, so it doesn't hurt to at least check them out!

This really gives me hope, and more motivation for the future. With a low GPA (just above a 3.0) and a low prereq gpa (2.93 so far) I now know my experience volunteering and my this PT aide job i'm working on can help me get into a DPT program and make it.

This really gives me hope, and more motivation for the future. With a low GPA (just above a 3.0) and a low prereq gpa (2.93 so far) I now know my experience volunteering and my this PT aide job i'm working on can help me get into a DPT program and make it.

I would retake the pre-reqs you didn't get at least a B in. Getting in with a pre-req GPA much lower than about a 3.4 is an uphill battle.

How many pre-reqs do you have left to take?

OvO425, this is definitely a great place to find info and advice which are invaluable in formulating a plan for successfully being admitted to a DPT program.

There are numerous stories on here of students starting off a little rough, and then getting it together and strategically doing the things that need to get done in order to gain admittance to a DPT program. Doing retakes, finishing strong, studying hard for the GRE, taking PT aide jobs, etc.

Although having a strong performance throughout undergrad would make applying much less stressful and leave more options open, there are plenty of schools that see the merit in students who start weak and finish strong. Either way, in the end all students have to show an ability, potential, and a desire to do what it takes to become a PT. Some of us just happen to do it in a roundabout way.

Good luck! Do what you need to and finish strong!

Reactions: 3 users
This is incredibly helpful! Thank you!

Thanks for posting this, it's exactly what I needed to hear!

My stats are pretty good, but sometimes I doubt that they're competitive enough. I just recently decided on PT after so many years as a pre-med student, so I'm always afraid I'm behind everyone else. It's nice to see someone with a similar story. Thanks for sharing!

Wow, I know this was posted nearly a year ago but thank you for all of the useful information! I appreciate the time you spent to explain your individual experience.

Beware - long! (but I think it is a good read for those applying)

I have been lurking here for a few years and have found a lot of useful information and insight on this forum. I recently applied to two state schools and was accepted to both. This thread will relate my experience in applying to DPT programs. It will probably also include some rambling.

Background
First, I am a single non-traditional student and a veteran. When I decided to pursue PT I had already completed two years of undergrad, in which I had earned a sub 2.0 gpa (not the best place to start). Once I started doing research and looking at program requirements I had serious doubts about whether I could even get into a DPT program. After an additional 3 yrs of school making up for the first 2 years my stats were 2.99 cgpa (PTCAS), 3.5 sgpa, 3.9 pgpa, 3.9 last 60hrs gpa, and a 320 4.0w GRE.

GRE
For the GRE, I took it twice to raise my writing score. I studied for about a week the first time and a few days the second time. My first score was a 317 3.5W and my second score was a 320 4.0. The GRE website has both study material and free downloadable software with two practice tests. There wasn't much material for the verbal portion so if you struggle with that you might have to look elsewhere. I spent most of my time brushing up on math and taking the practice tests. I am a firm believer that the GRE can be studied for and that most people can get a good score on it if they put in the time. I definitely think I could have gotten a higher score had I spent a few months studying for it, but I didn't think a higher score would make much difference in the eyes of admissions committees.

Grades/GPA
With a low cgpa the first thing I did was research schools that focused on recent coursework and GRE scores. There are many schools that will use your last 60hrs gpa in lieu of cgpa if it is higher. A simple google search for "physical therapy schools that look at last 60 hrs" will bring up most of them. I am from AR so here are a few off the top of my head from surrounding areas.

Schools that look at last 60hrs
Central Arkansas
Arkansas State
Texas State
Texas Womens
North Texas
San Angelo
Missouri
Wichita State
North Florida
Central Florida
St. Augustine
Northern Illinois
Chicago

Essays/personal statements
For the essay I wrote something that was thoughtful and conveyed my understanding of the profession and my desire to practice PT. I also proof read it myself and had it proof read at my school writing center.

Observation
For observation I completed 80hrs of obs. in various settings. This is a great time to show professionalism and get to know PTs. You will likely need reference letters from some of them as I did. I guaged which PTs I worked with liked me the most and asked them to write reference letters. In my interview I was complemented on how good they were. The interviewer also commented that many of the applicants had many more obs. hrs. than I did, and asked how I knew I really wanted to be a PT with so few hrs. My answer was that I was sure I wanted to become a PT after doing 10hrs of observation, and that while 80hrs of observation might not have been enough for some people it was certainly enough for me. This seemed to satisfy the two interviewers.

Deciding which schools to apply to
I started with a list of over twenty schools but after doing hours and hours of research I was able to whittle it down to around six and eventually applied to only two. Every school I looked at had a comprehensive website listing requirements for admissions, and most had a list of the average stats for the last cohort accepted to the program. The biggest factors on my decision of what schools to apply to were whether or not I met the requirements, if I had a chance to get in, tuition, location, and finally school rep and licensure/grad rates.

The first school I applied to, which I really liked but was a little far from home, had a very early admissions cycle so once I was accepted I only had to apply to my first choice school and I was done with applications. Had I not been accepted to that first school I was ready to send in another round of applications to schools with later deadlines.

A major area I researched was tuition policies for out of state residents. I am a veteran so policies are a little different for me, but there are various schools that have very lenient policies which waive out of state tuition after one year or waive out of state tuition for various other reasons. You just have to do the research to figure out which schools do this because it usually isn't broadcasted. In my case I spent a lot of time reading different state laws regarding residency policies that were specific to veterans. (The new federal VA reform bill grants in state tuition to veterans but does not apply to me because I have been out of the Army for too long. This is why you actually have to read the law and not just the headlines.)

Interview
Getting an interview is 90% of the battle. I pretty much looked at it as a pass fail situation in which I had to demonstrate professionalism, be personable, pleasant, knowledgeable, and convey my desire to be a PT. My first interview was an individual interview with two interviewers. My second interview was a group interview with six applicants and six interviewers. Both lasted around 30 min. The group interview was a little less intense due to it being my second, and the questions being spread out among the applicants. As I was in the first chair, I answered the first few questions first and then kind of held back to let some of the other applicants go first (they were kind of timid). It really sucks answering a question last. After five people have answered the same question it is hard to come up with something original I found myself stumped and stumbling a bit by the time they got to me on one question. I wore a suit and tie to both interviews. I didn't have any memorized or rehearsed answers (some applicants did), but I did have a general idea of what I would say to your standard DPT interview questions, which seemed to work well. Overall both interviews went well.

Final advice
In the end I was accepted to two schools including my first choice school where I live and completed my B.S.

My advice to anyone, especially those without stellar stats, is to research, research, research! While programs look at many of the same things, they are different enough that you might be a shoe in at one school but be an automatic rejection at another.

Low cgpa- find a school that looks at your last 60hrs instead.
Low GRE- some schools don't even require it or place little emphasis on it or vice-versa (or study/practice harder)
Low pgpa or sgpa- some schools look at one or both and some schools look at neither.
Low stats overall- find a school that likes extra curriculars, reference letters, essays, etc.

Find schools that are looking for your strengths and not your weaknesses, or change so you have the strengths they are looking for. Find schools that won't leave you in debt forever! If you are thinking of paying out of your own pocket to attend a private school over a public school please first use an online calculator to figure out what your monthly payments will be after school. The difference when I did it was somewhere between a new car payment and a mortgage payment. If an expensive school is your only choice then do what you have to and look for other ways of offsetting the debt, but at least be aware of the financial ramifications going in.

That is all I can think of for now.

thanks so much for posting this, ill make sure to come back to this every time i start to question about applying.
how has PT school gone for you? any tips? :)

PT school has been awesome! I've been able to do well, learned a lot, and made many new friends. I'm definitely looking forward to more clinical experience and less classroom.
Advice: One day, one quiz, one test, one practical, one presentation at a time!

This thread is two years old but it's really informative. Thanks for posting