My Experience with Pharmacy (Must Read)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

VP_Pharm2004

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I graduated, the shortage was huge and I made bank while floating and working at my home store. I even got a relocation bonus (shocking, I know)! Also, the pharmacists in California are hourly (not salary), thus they got overtime for working more than 8 hours per day. I would have the ability to work 50+ hours and work my ass off if I wanted. We had tons of job openings.

Fast forward to 6-8 years with a **** load of new schools opening up that accept students with GPA of 2.5 or lower, some of these students can't even speak English nor do they have any common sense. Currently, there are no sign-on or relocation bonuses, no drive-time, only float or manager positions open, and absolutely no overtime. With tons of new grads looking for jobs, my company cut overtime and now we get yelled at going over 8 hours a day. We're pretty much expected to walk out and leave **** behind for the second pharmacist. Work truly sucks when you have to follow up after a slow pharmacist. The OT rule has caused a lot of pharmacists to take a 30-40k pay cut! The same stuff is going on in the hospital setting... no raises or bonuses. Now it just seems like with the loans, mortgage, monthly bills, and other stuff we can barely make ends meet. My best friend, who graduated last year from an established school, is having a real hard time finding a permanent position, even with my connections with a few companies! He literally applied to 40 jobs and only heard back from 2.

Pre-pharmacy students really need to think about what they're getting themselves into. Yes, there are jobs posted on various websites, but the real truth is that NO ONE will respond to you if you have no experience or the position was posted just as a formality and someone else already got the job before YOU even applied. The manager position postings are a joke and you'd be a sucker to take that one on. But brainless new grads apply anyways. But according to the new trends, companies love new grads for manager positions so they can pay them lower and use & burn them out until they hire another sucker.

So, the question is... do you really love this profession that much? Do you want to be paying loans off for the rest of your life and never have the ability to save for retirement or even pay off your house (if you can even qualify)? Please weigh the benefit vs risk, people! Don't be like me and wish you'd had done something else in life......
 
Last edited:
I am in total agreement with you. Class of 2011 here. When I started pharmacy school, it was in demand. I mistakenly thought I could choose where I wanted to live, and what type of pharmacy I wanted to practice. I wanted to avoid retail because of safety reasons, not necessarily dealing with the customers, but I ended up having to worki in retail anyways just to find work. The only job in the country I could find was across the U.S. 2000 miles away from my friends and family. Not only could I not see anyone, I was totally alone. Now I am out of work, and I am unable to pay back my student loans. I don't know how people out of pharmacy school can afford to buy new cars and houses. I doubt that I will ever be able to buy a house.
 
My suspicion is that most of the job postings you see for the chains are phony.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Even then, it's not bargain working for a chain, if you can even get the job. A lot of the customers treat you like crap and you have to deal with crime. I've been dealing with entry level floaters- travel up to 3 hours to more, overnight in hotel, asking questions on interviews about MTM and computer programs and such that only certain people would do.
 
To be fair, no one said this would last forever. I don't blame the students. They are just trying to better their lives like everyone else. It is the greedy administers who turned education into a business. They have ruined a good number of lives.
 
Now that the pharmacy students know that it is nearly if not impossible to find work, they should not go into the field. The one job that I did find two years ago , they called me on my 2 days off to come into work, the work environment became horrible, working 7 days a week. They made sure to put me in a pharmacy that got robbed a lot. They make sure to make it as horrible for you as possible when you do find a job because employers know how tough it is to find work.

I wanted to add if any of us who have been down and out looking for work happen to find any, post it.
I would like to hear some good news for us.
 
Last edited:
Now that the pharmacy students know that it is nearly if not impossible to find work, they should not go into the field. The one job that I did find two years ago , they called me on my 2 days off to come into work, the work environment became horrible, working 7 days a week. They made sure to put me in a pharmacy that got robbed a lot. They make sure to make it as horrible for you as possible when you do find a job because employers know how tough it is to find work.

I wanted to add if any of us who have been down and out looking for work happen to find any, post it.
I would like to hear some good news for us.

Yup. For intern positions around here, the boss usually asks the pharmacists if they know any students who want to be interns so pretty much friends of the pharmacists here get the job.

Also for pharmacists, if there is an opening, the boss has to ask everyone already working here if they want it.
 
Even if some people are deterred from Pharmacy from reading these types of posts, you must understand; the rate at which schools are producing Pharmacists will NOT decrease. If some students decide to pursue other fields, it will just lower the quality of student that is enrolling in Pharm School, but the number of students will not decrease.
 
The worst part for me was having to live in some city I didn't even want to for 2 years because it was the only place I could find a job. I had to save up money to even begin to move back. I would have been much happier in another city. I used to watch the news about the city every day, missing where I once lived. It's hard having to be stuck in some city for a job, which isn't even the type of pharmacy you want to practice.
 
You guys do realize that no matter how many of this type of posts you put here, all pre-pharms will read is:

"Craps...bullsh*t...he just doesn't want me to earn that six-figure annual salary...I will work harder than everyone else so luck will be by my side."
 
You guys do realize that no matter how many of this type of posts you put here, all pre-pharms will read is:

"Craps...bullsh*t...he just doesn't want me to earn that six-figure annual salary...I will work harder than everyone else so luck will be by my side."

Again, like I said before, EVEN if you did deter someone from Pharmacy there will be another applicant waiting to take his place. All that will happen is the quality of student will slowly decrease.
 
You guys do realize that no matter how many of this type of posts you put here, all pre-pharms will read is:

"Craps...bullsh*t...he just doesn't want me to earn that six-figure annual salary...I will work harder than everyone else so luck will be by my side."

I think we all know that. I don't think we are naive enough to believe our posts actually would change the direction of the profession and that's fine by me.
 
I started my pursuit of pharmacy right before the huge slide downhill. It was not fun watching everything go to crap all before I could even finish my degree. 🙁

I am very thankful I've been able to secure a job, and I suppose the bright side is I've never worked when it was good times, so I won't know what I missed... right?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I started my pursuit of pharmacy right before the huge slide downhill. It was not fun watching everything go to crap all before I could even finish my degree. 🙁

I am very thankful I've been able to secure a job, and I suppose the bright side is I've never worked when it was good times, so I won't know what I missed... right?

You only missed unlimited overtime, higher 3X travel pay, higher mileage reimbursement, food and hotel allowance, $30-45k sign on bonus, tuition reimbursement, ability to switch company whenever and wherever you want, being treated like golden by your employer, tons of technician help and feeling you are not a disposable trash bag.
 
You only missed unlimited overtime, higher 3X travel pay, higher mileage reimbursement, food and hotel allowance, $30-45k sign on bonus, tuition reimbursement, ability to switch company whenever and wherever you want, being treated like golden by your employer, tons of technician help and feeling you are not a disposable trash bag.

So basically all the greed that got us into this over-saturated mess in the first place? U of M had 1500+ applicants a year back then during the height of all that pork. Down to 400 applicants as of last year.
 
When I graduated, the shortage was huge and I made bank while floating and working at my home store. I even got a relocation bonus (shocking, I know)! Also, the pharmacists in California are hourly (not salary), thus they got overtime for working more than 8 hours per day. I would have the ability to work 50+ hours and work my ass off if I wanted. We had tons of job openings.

Fast forward to 6-8 years with a **** load of new schools opening up that accept students with GPA of 2.5 or lower, some of these students can't even speak English nor do they have any common sense. Currently, there are no sign-on or relocation bonuses, no drive-time, only float or manager positions open, and absolutely no overtime. With tons of new grads looking for jobs, my company cut overtime and now we get yelled at going over 8 hours a day. We're pretty much expected to walk out and leave **** behind for the second pharmacist. Work truly sucks when you have to follow up after a slow pharmacist. The OT rule has caused a lot of pharmacists to take a 30-40k pay cut! The same stuff is going on in the hospital setting... no raises or bonuses. Now it just seems like with the loans, mortgage, monthly bills, and other stuff we can barely make ends meet. My best friend, who graduated last year from an established school, is having a real hard time finding a permanent position, even with my connections with a few companies! He literally applied to 40 jobs and only heard back from 2.

Pre-pharmacy students really need to think about what they're getting themselves into. Yes, there are jobs posted on various websites, but the real truth is that NO ONE will respond to you if you have no experience or the position was posted just as a formality and someone else already got the job before YOU even applied. The manager position postings are a joke and you'd be a sucker to take that one on. But brainless new grads apply anyways. But according to the new trends, companies love new grads for manager positions so they can pay them lower and use & burn them out until they hire another sucker.

So, the question is... do you really love this profession that much? Do you want to be paying loans off for the rest of your life and never have the ability to save for retirement or even pay off your house (if you can even qualify)? Please weigh the benefit vs risk, people! Don't be like me and wish you'd had done something else in life......

Should try posting this in the pre-pharmacy forum. :laugh:
 
It almost doesn't matter what state he or she is from. There's a job crisis everywhere. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll always have to be in retail, if I can even find a job in that. It's been increasingly hard to even get an entry level position. I'll always have to worry about my safety 🙁
 
It almost doesn't matter what state he or she is from. There's a job crisis everywhere. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll always have to be in retail, if I can even find a job in that. It's been increasingly hard to even get an entry level position. I'll always have to worry about my safety 🙁

Me me me me me. Wow. Think about the tech(s) who work with you. At least you're getting paid 4-5x what they are to be in a dangerous setting. And there are tons of jobs that are more dangerous with far less compensation.
 
Me me me me me. Wow. Think about the tech(s) who work with you. At least you're getting paid 4-5x what they are to be in a dangerous setting. And there are tons of jobs that are more dangerous with far less compensation.

:laugh: Did the techs go to college for 6-8 years for their job and rack up $100k in loans? At least here, tech job openings are not too hard to come by.
 
:laugh: Did the techs go to college for 6-8 years for their job and rack up $100k in loans? At least here, tech job openings are not too hard to come by.

Racking up that much debt/time spent is a personal choice. Plus a lot of techs (unfortunately) go to school and get reamed by vocational schools that charge $10k, which is a similar salary-debt ratio to pharmacists. In the long run, a successful pharmacist will still make at least 4 times as much money over the length of their career. Your argument sucks 🙁
 
Racking up that much debt/time spent is a personal choice. Plus a lot of techs (unfortunately) go to school and get reamed by vocational schools that charge $10k, which is a similar salary-debt ratio to pharmacists. In the long run, a successful pharmacist will still make at least 4 times as much money over the length of their career. Your argument sucks 🙁

Your argument 'sucks' just as much. First off, we aren't police, we aren't paid to be put in a dangerous situation. We're paid for the knowledge and training we offer, plus the license we put on the line in case we happen to kill someone. Working in a dangerous situation is something that should never happen for a tech or a pharmacist. Making more money does not make it a better situation.

Also, I made around 30k a year as a tech. Assuming I paid 10k for school (which I didn't, I just started working because techs have that option) that is a nice 3-1 salary - debt ratio. Even 20k would be 2-1. When I graduate I will have accumulated almost the inverse of that. ~100k job with 250k debt once all this crap accumulates. It's on the higher end but even someone who comes out with 100k in debt is still at a 1-1 ratio.

This isn't a complaint or a pity party for me, I know exactly what situation I'm in. My point is you can't dismiss someone's argument as being sucky and present just as horrible of an argument without being called out for it.
 
There are plenty of pharmacy technician jobs out there that are not in retail. I know of several insurance companies and long term care pharmacies who are hiring. You know how I know? All 6 job hunting agencies I registered with for pharmacist positions don't have any, of course, but they have several phamacy technician postings.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your argument 'sucks' just as much. First off, we aren't police, we aren't paid to be put in a dangerous situation. We're paid for the knowledge and training we offer, plus the license we put on the line in case we happen to kill someone. Working in a dangerous situation is something that should never happen for a tech or a pharmacist. Making more money does not make it a better situation.

Also, I made around 30k a year as a tech. Assuming I paid 10k for school (which I didn't, I just started working because techs have that option) that is a nice 3-1 salary - debt ratio. Even 20k would be 2-1. When I graduate I will have accumulated almost the inverse of that. ~100k job with 250k debt once all this crap accumulates. It's on the higher end but even someone who comes out with 100k in debt is still at a 1-1 ratio.

This isn't a complaint or a pity party for me, I know exactly what situation I'm in. My point is you can't dismiss someone's argument as being sucky and present just as horrible of an argument without being called out for it.

Of course pharmacists should never have to deal with dangerous situations. But if you went into retail pharmacy not expecting there to be a risk of being robbed, you're not living in reality. Pharmacies have narcotics in stock. Enough said.

As for your attempt to make tech work sound any more appealing than being a pharmacist, nice try. Ratio this or that, whatever. The bottom line is that earning potential is WAY larger as a pharmacist. For the sake of your ego, lets just say you win. Can't be arsed to argue against someone not willing to look at the numbers.
 
Of course pharmacists should never have to deal with dangerous situations. But if you went into retail pharmacy not expecting there to be a risk of being robbed, you're not living in reality. Pharmacies have narcotics in stock. Enough said.

As for your attempt to make tech work sound any more appealing than being a pharmacist, nice try. Ratio this or that, whatever. The bottom line is that earning potential is WAY larger as a pharmacist. For the sake of your ego, lets just say you win. Can't be arsed to argue against someone not willing to look at the numbers.

If you're trolling, then you got me. Just putting that out there.

I looked at the numbers and I've worked as a tech. I even used real world examples from my own experience. You were the one who brought up ratios and now you're so ready to dismiss it? I did not attempt to make tech work sound more appealing than what it is, I was attempting to call you out for saying someone's argument was 'sucky'. I believe I managed to do that. My point with technician salary was that your salary to debt ratio argument was patently false, nothing more. I have nothing against the technician profession, they will be my backbone when I start working this summer and I know they need to be cared for. I just had a problem with your attack on another poster without providing a decent argument of your own.

As for your first paragraph, 7 years experience in retail has taught me what to expect in retail. I know exactly what I'm getting myself into, and I am perfectly happy with it. I'm well aware of what pharmacies stock, and I work in Florida where we stock and sell a disproportionate amount of C-IIs. Perhaps you meant the figurative 'you' when you said, "But if you went into retail pharmacy not expecting there to be a risk of being robbed, you're not living in reality." in which case I would agree that many graduates don't quite know what they're getting themselves into. However, I believe this misses the point of my initial post.

So, what argument did you 'allow' me to win, by the way? That really just seems like a dodge and my ego demands to know.
 
I expected the remote possibility of getting robbed. It's a fact of life. Unfortunately, robberies are becoming more common. With that being said, I find it really sad that I have to spend my days working at a drive thru behind bullet proof glass and surrounded by the names and phone numbers of police departments and detectives.


What I did not expect is the drug addicts who are customers causing physicial violence against people for not being able to fill their oxycontin. It's not my fault that the insurance would not approve it. More often that not, a confrontation begins with a customer about a controlled substance that you cannot approve. These conversations often escalate where I am concerned for my safety. I do not feel that I should have to put my life on the line in order to practice. Several times I have had to be escorted to my car.
 
Decent discussion, thank you for sharing. Graduating here in a few months, and it really just plays out to an issue of politics. It is who you know and how you go about getting those positions that does it.

Had a "clinical" rotation at a local store, and afterwards (having worked my arse off) had a good word put in by the pharmacist. My interview for an intern position was me and the district manager going to a bar and grill and discussing just how far into this organization I wanted to go.

Been working as an intern, and have signed as a staff pharmacist full time come May. Its not my dream job, but it is basically in the area I wanted to live in all through pharmacy school and for a very good salary/hourly.

Every market, every person is different and your odds of finding or losing jobs depends on many factors. If you are pursuing a PharmD just understand you are not necessarily guaranteed to net a job before graduation. Nobody owes you, me, or anyone anything for spending such a large amount of money on a degree we thought was the damn near perfect path.

But chin up. The jobs are out there, my classmates are getting snatched up left and right. Do not remain pessimistic or you may never get yourself out of depression/debt.
 
I expected the remote possibility of getting robbed. It's a fact of life. Unfortunately, robberies are becoming more common. With that being said, I find it really sad that I have to spend my days working at a drive thru behind bullet proof glass and surrounded by the names and phone numbers of police departments and detectives.


What I did not expect is the drug addicts who are customers causing physicial violence against people for not being able to fill their oxycontin. It's not my fault that the insurance would not approve it. More often that not, a confrontation begins with a customer about a controlled substance that you cannot approve. These conversations often escalate where I am concerned for my safety. I do not feel that I should have to put my life on the line in order to practice. Several times I have had to be escorted to my car.

Not everyone can handle the 'hood. It's understandable. You have to have a completely different approach and if you come across as shy, weak, easily scared, people will treat you that way. This might sound terrible, I know, but that's how it is. Gang bangers and scary freaks can sense if you're afraid. Similarly, they can sense if you're an ******* judging them. If I hadn't lived it/worked there for part of my life, the barrio/hood would probably be tough to handle for me.
 
The crazy lady had no time to tell if I am shy, scared, afraid, because I was a a fill-in and new to the store that day. Yes, I am a tiny woman but that still doesn't make it right how I am treated. It was not the hood, it was tweakerville. I did have a male customer use curse words on me that referred to a female because I refused to fill his Xanax early without doctor's permission.
 
The crazy lady had no time to tell if I am shy, scared, afraid, because I was a a fill-in and new to the store that day. Yes, I am a tiny woman but that still doesn't make it right how I am treated. It was not the hood, it was tweakerville. I did have a male customer use curse words on me that referred to a female because I refused to fill his Xanax early without doctor's permission.

Where do you work, if I may ask? Both chain & location wise? I've noticed different pharmacies located at different parts of the town/state will have different clientele -- each whom you have to change your attitude/style of counseling/etc to adjust.
 
I've seen job postings for nurses, medical assistants, and pharmacy technicians. Lots of posts at insurance companies.
 
how are those better options?

-pharmacy tech - average salary (salary.com) - $37k...so you're prob bringing home $2,400/month with no loans
-medical assistant - average salary (salary.com) - $31k....prob about $2,000/month with no loans
-staff nurse - average salary (salary.com) - $66k...I'm guessing you're taking home $3,800/month, and probably have $30-$80k in loans

pharmacist - average salary (salary.com) $116k...taking home rougly $6,000/month, and even with $100k in loans on a 10 year plan, that's still $4,800/month take home

and I don't know too much about nursing, but my techncians that have just finished tell me that getting into nursing school is really, really competitive. The state ones are worse...

and yes, retail sucks, but I figure any job that pays well is going to be really hard...I know it seems like a lot of people head into pharmacy expecting easy money, but imho there really isn't such a thing..
 
Last edited:
These threads are the reason I fell off the face of the earth around here. Too much doom and gloom. Woe is me. You want to know how to succeed in pharmacy? Get good grades, get involved with school and faculty and work. Work as much as you can as an intern and with as many settings as possible. Learn. Get involved in research. I held two jobs when I was an intern and was able to graduate with a nice GPA. Published some articles in school, did prospective drug trials.

Gone are the days of sleeping through class, and shame on you for thinking that was an option because you are dealing with people's lives for christs sake. Employers don't want graduates that just skirted by with no experience, no desire to work, and barely passable grades.

Its funny because I graduated not too long ago, after the shortage dried up, no residency. I hold 2 hospital gigs and pick up a few hours for a retail every now and then. I live in an area where there is saturation. It ended up going okay for me and for my peers around me.

If your heart isn't in this profession then its not for you. If you are only in it for the wallet, then its not for you. Those who have passion and work hard, you will find something.

Thats my 2 cents.
 
I guess if you're interested in it...then go for it...

physical therapist average salary: $76,000 (salary.com), and required training includes a bachelor's and 3 year graduate/doctorate...just like pharmacy, they both throw you into loans, but a pharmacist makes $30k/year more

the other thing that's good about pharmacy is it pretty much guarantees you a 6 figure salary if you're willing to relocate and/or take a manger position. I know someone who is finishing medical school, did not match for residency (caribbean grad), now is thinking about what jobs he can get without a residency...not much, and now is falling back on his bachelor's degree or "what other degrees can I get to get a job" with $180k in loans.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how are those better options?

-pharmacy tech - average salary (salary.com) - $37k...so you're prob bringing home $2,400/month with no loans
-medical assistant - average salary (salary.com) - $31k....prob about $2,000/month with no loans
-staff nurse - average salary (salary.com) - $66k...I'm guessing you're taking home $3,800/month, and probably have $30-$80k in loans

pharmacist - average salary (salary.com) $116k...taking home rougly $6,000/month, and even with $100k in loans on a 10 year plan, that's still $4,800/month take home

and I don't know too much about nursing, but my techncians that have just finished tell me that getting into nursing school is really, really competitive. The state ones are worse...

and yes, retail sucks, but I figure any job that pays well is going to be really hard...I know it seems like a lot of people head into pharmacy expecting easy money, but imho there really isn't such a thing..

All of the techs I work with, who are pretty much set being a career tech, have at least 2 jobs.
 
I don't think there's a guarantee of a six figure salary anymore. The place I was at was a 5 figure salary. In fact, there's no guarantee of finding a job in pharmacy anymore. And if you can't handle the doom and gloom of life, then you are not living in reality.
 
I was going by Muse600 stating that "the other thing that's good about pharmacy is it pretty much guarantees you a 6 figure salary if you're willing to relocate and/or take a manager position."

There are no guarantees of even finding a pharmacy job at all.


People starting pharmacy school- be warned what you are getting yourself into. You are not guaranteed to find a job. If you are fortunate and do find a job, you cannot pick usually where you want to live or type of pharmacy you want to practice. Good luck!
 
Last edited:
These threads are the reason I fell off the face of the earth around here. Too much doom and gloom. Woe is me. You want to know how to succeed in pharmacy? Get good grades, get involved with school and faculty and work. Work as much as you can as an intern and with as many settings as possible. Learn. Get involved in research. I held two jobs when I was an intern and was able to graduate with a nice GPA. Published some articles in school, did prospective drug trials.

Gone are the days of sleeping through class, and shame on you for thinking that was an option because you are dealing with people's lives for christs sake. Employers don't want graduates that just skirted by with no experience, no desire to work, and barely passable grades.

Its funny because I graduated not too long ago, after the shortage dried up, no residency. I hold 2 hospital gigs and pick up a few hours for a retail every now and then. I live in an area where there is saturation. It ended up going okay for me and for my peers around me.

If your heart isn't in this profession then its not for you. If you are only in it for the wallet, then its not for you. Those who have passion and work hard, you will find something.

Thats my 2 cents.

Pretty much sums up how I feel. I'm aware of the over-saturation and current market status and I'm still willing to take the plunge. I feel pretty good. I mean I already have my residency lined up and I'm not even in pharmacy school yet =).