My Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoadTo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have never felt so lost in my thoughts, I have come to across many things that I thought I would love doing. I remember when it was pharmacy...Freshmen year of college , oh then a semester later it was dentistry... Worked at a dental office.

Respect, Money, but rather lonely. Consumed by greed the dentist was.
[Figured it wasn't my path to take, although If I put my mind to it I can easily achieve it]

Moved on to PA, and oh how I was settled that this is for me. Took an accelerated 21 day EMT course. This course was military style teaching. You are yelled at, they beat the information in you! I passed my skills final, and failed my written exam by 1 point. You are suppose to get above an 80 percent to pass I got a 79% [Bummer, so gotta take another one. So much for accelerated! ]

Depression Phase - I began reconsidering my path, and decided Med School might be a better option.
I started reading on the internet PA vs MD, blah blah blah . All the posters made me sick, and even more confused.

I was so sure about PA and then started reading and seeing how many people went from PA to MD was shocking. I am not sure if I should shoot straight for MD or If I should just finish my degree, my PA pre-reqs, and apply to PA school. I have some shadowing and volunteering to do. I have an EMT course to take again, and experience to gain. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If your long term goal is MD/DO don't go to PA school. it is too hard to get back into student mode after making good money and paying off your debts. many folks say they will do it and very few end up staying the course. I started back on the path to MD (actually DO) several times but life kept getting in the way.
make a decision, stick to it, and aim high.
failing an emt basic program is a red flag for your study skills. emt programs are actually pretty easy. figure out what went wrong and don't repeat those mistakes or you will not do well in any health care field.
best of luck.
p.s. apparently the dentist was also a 900 year old jedi knight based on your quote:
"Consumed by greed the dentist was." (reference yoda, a character in a series called star wars for you youngins....:) )

With your history if going back and forth I would take a year and shadow both PA and md/do and then decide. Making the wrong choice will cost tons of $$$$.

I'm a PA that went back to med school. The only regret I have is missing my kid grow up. The other stuff($, rude staff etc..) is unimportant and doesn't bother me personally.

Members don't see this ad :)
The other stuff($, rude staff etc..) is unimportant and doesn't bother me personally.
The lack of respect and arbitrary restrictions to scope of practice are what bother me the most. the money is fine as a pa. if I went back to school 0% of the reason would be financial.
I am currently in an academic doctoral program. chances are if I start teaching a few days/mo I will take a salary cut for those days vs working clinically. it can't all be about the money.

The lack of respect and arbitrary restrictions to scope of practice are what bother me the most. the money is fine as a pa. if I went back to school 0% of the reason would be financial.
I am currently in an academic doctoral program. chances are if I start teaching a few days/mo I will take a salary cut for those days vs working clinically. it can't all be about the money.

I agree but it seems $ is the major topic of discussion in the allied health professions.

If your long term goal is MD/DO don't go to PA school. it is too hard to get back into student mode after making good money and paying off your debts. many folks say they will do it and very few end up staying the course. I started back on the path to MD (actually DO) several times but life kept getting in the way.
make a decision, stick to it, and aim high.
failing an emt basic program is a red flag for your study skills. emt programs are actually pretty easy. figure out what went wrong and don't repeat those mistakes or you will not do well in any health care field.
best of luck.
p.s. apparently the dentist was also a 900 year old jedi knight based on your quote:
"Consumed by greed the dentist was." (reference yoda, a character in a series called star wars for you youngins....:) )

Thanks for the heads up. Ya didn't pull through on the EMT course by 1 point. It was 5 days a week for 9 hours a day. I was also working morning shifts & on weekends. So I guess that has something to do with it. got a 79% out of the 80% on the written final... Did great on the skills, but It is what it is. I guess it made me a stronger individual! Haha ! Star WAAAARS!!!

With your history if going back and forth I would take a year and shadow both PA and md/do and then decide. Making the wrong choice will cost tons of $$$$.

I'm a PA that went back to med school. The only regret I have is missing my kid grow up. The other stuff($, rude staff etc..) is unimportant and doesn't bother me personally.

Shadowing is something I better do soon! Also I have talked to a friend whose brother is a PA, and the other an MD. He explained to me how the PA is much happier. He is making decent salary and loves it! I guess it really depends on the person, but for me making decent dough, not worrying about unemployment and doing what I love is what truly matters. If I could do all of those as a PA in less years then might aswell.

I agree but it seems $ is the major topic of discussion in the allied health professions.

They both make decent money, I feel its more a matter of prestige to most individuals. Yet again from what I see it you arent working for a doctor.. Your working for the hospital, maybe if your in a doctor owned clinic then thats different. But hey it goes both ways.

RoadTo:

I think first that you need to slow down with your decision making. The example I like to use is to "zoom" out to a sky view of yourself in your current situation. Once you have evaluated your current condition and where you stand on decision making, then you should consider all of the jobs that you at least seem remotely interested in. Weight the pros and cons of each profession and REALLY sit down and do your research on each one before making a complete decision. Whether you end up chasing PA/NP school or MD/DO, you need to be sure to focus on your short term goals first, which sounds like EMT. Attending PA/NP or MD/DO school takes a lot of mental endurance and if your mind isn't in the right place, you will burn out quickly, not to mention all the unpaid loans you still owe.

I'm a Paramedic that is trying to finish undergrad and attend PA school. A few months ago, I was almost in the same situation as you. All of these big decisions can be demoralizing and depressing. It takes a lot of self motivation to pass even EMT school and you have to make sure your mind is in the right place before making any decision.

Just some considerations, best wishes to you and your future in whatever you decide on doing!

Johnathan

Thanks for the response Jonathan! Keep up the good work, and PA school is all yours !