My first DRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cableguy

PA-C
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice before I perform my first DRE tomorrow (on a pt-model)?? Related stories would be good too.

Thanks,

-will

Members don't see this ad.

Any advice before I perform my first DRE tomorrow (on a pt-model)?? Related stories would be good too.

Thanks,

-will

Have you done pelvic exams before?

If so, a lot of the principles are the same:
* Explain what you're going to do before you do it.
* Be confident, and don't be excessively tentative.
* Choose your words carefully. Don't use phrases like "Well, that feels good." Say, "It feels normal," or "I don't find anything that is concerning."

Have you done pelvic exams before?

Pelvic exams are in two weeks.

I can envision how not choosing your words carefully could lead to an awkward moment...thanks for the input!

-will

Members don't see this ad :)
Very simple.

1. Don't forget to wear gloves

2. Make sure you lube up

3. Don't put your finger in your mouth afterwards.

4. Reach arounds are not always appreciated, choose carefully grasshopper!

And don't whistle, "I wish I were an Oscar Mayer weiner!"

Never was I more thankful I am an neonatal NP student until I read this thread.... ;>P

Thanks,

-will

cableguy,

I'm interested to know how'd it go?

So, I'm curious.

Did he go for the reacharound?

cableguy,

I'm interested to know how'd it go?

Well I survived. I had an older guy who had been through a DRE before. That helped. Some of my classmates had young pt-models (early twenties) who were very visibly nervous about getting their first DRE in front of a group of people.

My guy was a little odd though. When we first entered the exam room he was reading a magazine. He never made eye contact and never put the magazine down. Laying down during genital exam, standing for hernia eval, and bending over for the DRE...he never put the mag down or stopped reading it. Kinda wierd.

Next week: pelvic/breast exams...

-will