my first OAT achiever scores...

Puchinita5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am new here.

So I purchased the OAT achiever program. Just as a curiosity, I took an exam without ANY studying whatsoever, to see how I would do if I were to just wing the exam and to gauge how much work I will need to do to get good scores.

My scores are

Quant...300
Reading...210
Biology...250
General Chem... 320
Orgo...290
Physics...290
TS...280

now, i'm pretty sure that these would normally be considered bad no? Or are they just average? I can't really gauge what they mean. Is this a good starting point, or am very behind?

I think my reading score is pretty abysmal for sure. And I really felt in the biology section that I knew nothing... which was demoralizing. :( The other sections I felt my problem was that I am a REALLY slow thinker, but knew how to do everything, just didn't have enough time.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
most schools require a 300 and above for each section. OAT Achiever scores are usually a little low compared to the actual. Most people do worse on the Achiever. You'll want to significantly improve these though.

most schools require a 300 and above for each section. OAT Achiever scores are usually a little low compared to the actual. Most people do worse on the Achiever. You'll want to significantly improve these though.

You mean EVERYONE does worse. Achiever is by no way a gauge on your OAT scores. Do a forum search about achiever. I scored about what you did on achiever and on the OAT had a TS and AA of 340 with a 380 in Ochem and a 360 in Bio. Lowest score was 320 in Physics and QR

Did you use anything else besides the OAT Achiever? I have the OAT destroyer, Kaplan Review Notes, & the Kaplan book (practice problems and 2 practice tests). How close are these to the actual OAT? I feel as though I don't know anything (especially physics and bio) and I've been studying for a month. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
since you haven't studied yet, i'd say you're fine. i got 280-320 on RC on the acheiver tests but a 350 on the real OAT. i also got for TS on the acheivers 350-360 but a 390 on the real test. if you study your weak points, you'll be fine.

since you haven't studied yet, i'd say you're fine. i got 280-320 on RC on the acheiver tests but a 350 on the real OAT. i also got for TS on the acheivers 350-360 but a 390 on the real test. if you study your weak points, you'll be fine.

I Hate physics.. and wanted to know how do you study for physics.. just memorized the formulas and how to apply them basically?

I thought physics plays a big role in the field of optometry but the optometrist that I've shadowed dislike physics. is it true?

I Hate physics.. and wanted to know how do you study for physics.. just memorized the formulas and how to apply them basically?

I thought physics plays a big role in the field of optometry but the optometrist that I've shadowed dislike physics. is it true?

that's funny, all the docs i shadowed love physics (and hate chemistry). i read through the princeton review MCAT physics book (cover to cover because it had been years since i had the class) and memorized as many formulas as i could which actually helped the most i believe. and did as many probs as i could (from destroyer, kaplan, and acheiver). chad's videos helped too. i thought i had memorized everything possible but when i took the real test they threw some curve balls at me that i had no idea how to answer. i completely guessed at 5 or 6 probs thinking i was going to get a low score, but in the end i got a 360 which isnt too bad. so i would say make sure you understand things conceptually, memorize formulas, and practice practice practice!

What are the best studying strategies to use in order to prepare for the OAT? Or, which topics do I need to focus on or study the most in biology, chemistry, and physics? When I took the OAT last time after studying Kaplan, I still felt a bit overwhelmed afterwards, and didn't score as high as I wanted to:)

Last edited:
that's funny, all the docs i shadowed love physics (and hate chemistry). i read through the princeton review MCAT physics book (cover to cover because it had been years since i had the class) and memorized as many formulas as i could which actually helped the most i believe. and did as many probs as i could (from destroyer, kaplan, and acheiver). chad's videos helped too. i thought i had memorized everything possible but when i took the real test they threw some curve balls at me that i had no idea how to answer. i completely guessed at 5 or 6 probs thinking i was going to get a low score, but in the end i got a 360 which isnt too bad. so i would say make sure you understand things conceptually, memorize formulas, and practice practice practice!

Thanks for the advice.. we just need to know basic formulas right? Will there be "fill in the blank" on the actual OAT? can we bring calculators or we can only use the computer calculator? ( I hate using those type of calculators, not advance enough for these type of problems lol)

Thanks for the advice.. we just need to know basic formulas right? Will there be "fill in the blank" on the actual OAT? can we bring calculators or we can only use the computer calculator? ( I hate using those type of calculators, not advance enough for these type of problems lol)

No fill in the blank questions, only multiple choice. You can't bring your own calculator, and you only get an on screen calculator (4 function) during QR.

As far as the scores go, this would be considered "diagnostic". But most schools require at least a 300 on EACH SECTION for admission, higher to be competitive. As you study, take more full length tests and mock the testing conditions as best you can to see how you progress. Keep in mind that once you take the test, you need to wait 90 days between testing dates, so don't take it just to see how you do if you aren't really ready. If your GPA is low, you need to really step up your game and aim for the 340-350 range to really show that you can handle the material to be considered for admission.

How do the Kaplan practice tests and the ADA online practice test compare to the real test? I am taking my test this Tuesday and would like an idea of what scores to expect based on my scores on the practice tests.

How do the practice Kaplan tests and the ADA online practice test compare with the real OAT? I take my test Tuesday!

How do the practice Kaplan tests and the ADA online practice test compare with the real OAT? I take my test Tuesday!

I thought Kaplan tests were easier than the real thing. Destroyer questions much harder than the real thing. The online OAT Achiever was pretty accurate on my scores, maybe slightly harder. I didn't take the ADA test. hope that helped!

Thumbs up for Achiever that prepares you for the worst on the OAT. The formats of the tests look almost the same on the real screen.

I thought Kaplan tests were easier than the real thing. Destroyer questions much harder than the real thing. The online OAT Achiever was pretty accurate on my scores, maybe slightly harder. I didn't take the ADA test. hope that helped!

I thought, taking the kaplan would be enough. I used the kaplan only to study and some youtube videos and I did worse. I heard a lot of people say the kaplan was harder than the real thing, but I agree that it was easier than the real test.