my first topic, please say something!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rohit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone this is my first message on this board, i know its not that big of deal but just liked to say hi to everyone.

i just got my scores back, (8, 12, 9, O), so its an allright score. I'm trying to get into UAB (birmingham), so if anyone knows anything about this school, or if you've already interviewed there and could give any information, please do!

i just hope i get an interview there.

well, my first one is gonna be short, but expect some long replies later on.

actually one other things that i'd like to know is this. i'm an officer of the pre-med club at my school, and i'm trying to find projects to work on. we always work on heartwalk and other things, but i just wanted to know if there are other things out there... thanks for the replies (if i get any at all)

------------------
rohit patel
"knowledge is limited. imagination encircles the world" -- Einstein

[This message has been edited by rohit (edited 10-20-2000).]

Members don't see this ad.

okay, i see no one is responding. maybe i need to come up with better topic...

well, i'll think about it for awhile.

------------------
rohit patel
"knowledge is limited. imagination encircles the world" -- Einstein

Here's a seasonal project for you...you've got ten days to organize it. Go trick or treating for canned goods that you'll donate to a local charity. You can dress up, go in groups of three or four, and you'll probably get some candy along the way. I did this for my church, and it worked pretty well. Only one house refused to give anything. It helps if you can give them a thank-you note indicating where the food will be going. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
.........."Something".........

Sorry, couldn't resist
smile.gif

Rohit,

Congratulations on surviving the MCAT (and that awful wait for the scores)! I'm just glad I can stop biting my nails...

Anyway, I'm also involved with my school's pre-med club, and we do a variety of "events." We've had several docs come to tell premeds and other interested folks about their experiences (such as one doc who had just gotten back from Rwanda), we've had events that allow premeds to get acquainted with volunteer opportunities in our area (including how to get EMT certification and actually use it!), we have how-to-get-into-med-school events several times in order to give premeds a "timeline" for the application process so they can schedule classes and MCAT sittings and other things, and a bunch of other stuff. We've discovered that people generally show up for stuff that is interesting and that offers free food, so our events have been pretty successful for the most part!

Another idea that I had was to create something of a support network for premeds so that people could hang out and complain about orgo without driving all their non-premed friends away. I have two very close friends who are premed as well and have been very important to my survival, and I wonder how other people manage without people who are going through the same thing. I figure that upperclassmen could be a great resource for underclassmen as far as neat classes, MCAT preparation, volunteer opportunities at their school, etc.

Sorry this is so long winded, and hope it helped a little!

Karen

thanks for the responses. good ideas, i think we may try some of them. We had the idea about student mentors( like seniors to freshman, sophomores) to help them with time schedule of doing things and stuff. we just need to follow through with it.

thanks

It's funny that you asked this question, because I just happened to look in the MSAR published by AAMC last night about UAB. I am a CA resident and have no plans to go to Alabama, but I happened to see it anyway. Well, from last year's stats, they got about 540 in-state applications, 490 were interviewed, and 100 matriculated. And since med schools usually admit more than actually matriculate, your chances look good. I don't know about UAB, but I have gathered that most med schools accept roughly 1.5x-2x the number of students that will actually go.

Go to usnews.com and click on the "best colleges" label. Go to UAB (which is about 19 I think) and click on it. Next, click on the "compare schools" label to find all the good facts. UAB is one of my first choices...good acceptance rates.

It'd be hillarious to see what med schools would do if all the accepted applicants opted to matriculate. Probably something like "Sorry, we said we accepted you, but space is limited." It's a court case waiting to happen.

Imtiaz,

There's nothing to wonder about. Med schools generally admit additional students (those over the number allotted for each incoming class) as acceptees decline. Since some applicants get >1 acceptance, they invariably have to decline at least one acceptance. Cumulatively over the course of the interview season, a number of the accepted students chose to go elsewhere, and additional acceptances are offered, either to late-interviewing students or to those on the waitlist.

It's not as though a school sends out 200 acceptances en masse for 100 slots.