my friends connection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hashwi

futuredds
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys! my friend was just telling me today that his dad is really good friends with a professor at UDM dental school and he is close with the dean. He said he will take care of his son and bring him and to not worry. do you think he should keep going hard in his studies and take summer class this year and apply his jr yr or take the DAT this summer as a sophomore and apply early because he has a crazzzyyyy connection. he is a sophmore currently.

your help is much appreciated!! THANKS!!:):D

Members don't see this ad.

I am sure the kid could get an interview, but has to have decent stats also since usually a committee collectively decides on an acceptance and not one individual. The dean and professor may have some weight on the interview process, but less of one with regard to acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys! my friend was just telling me today that his dad is really good friends with a professor at UDM dental school and he is close with the dean. He said he will take care of his son and bring him and to not worry. do you think he should keep going hard in his studies and take summer class this year and apply his jr yr or take the DAT this summer as a sophomore and apply early because he has a crazzzyyyy connection. he is a sophmore currently.

your help is much appreciated!! THANKS!!:):D

wouldnt your friend need/want a bachelors degree in order to be enrolled/accepted in that ds? i think he should continue to work hard in his classes and get good grades. bc at the end of the day even if u have a legit connec, u dont want to embarass your connec and have someone sticking up for u and pulling for u when your stats arent that good. so your friend is lucky to have a connec, but he shouldnt blow it on his end.

adambennett92 no its really my friend. but thanks alot guys.

gumdrop16 you can get accepted without a degree, but i believe you can not strat until you have a degree

no guarantees that he'll be admitted

1. You CAN get accepted at any many schools without a degree AND start without a degree (check school websites to see if they are one of them).

2. Taking DAT sophomore summer is a good idea anyway, it will alleviate stress on junior summer.

3. Applying early(if you want to) will only help you when you apply in the normal cycle if you get rejected.

4. Do not depend on the connection.

Wasn't trying to be mean haha it just sounded like it, It will help his chances but I believe it helps mostly if he is tied with another applicant or could offset a weak area like low community service or something.

Wasn't trying to be mean haha it just sounded like it, It will help his chances but I believe it helps mostly if he is tied with another applicant or could offset a weak area like low community service or something.

what do you mean tied with another applicant

Definitely get a degree and apply normally. Having connections helps, but in no way will he just be waived in because his father is a good friend with the dean.

Well i'm sure sometimes they decide on applicants that have very similar stats, like if a schools takes only one kid with a 17 and he's one of the three with 17's they are considering than his connection will obviously help.