My GPA's by AADSAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fannian

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not a good test taker, and don't feel prepared right now at all!

Members don't see this ad.

yeah schools that have a 3.0 filter will automatically toss your application, I know, cause it happened to me when I applied. That being said, nothing you can do about it now except focus on your DAT.

Do schools look at the BCP GPA or science GPA when they throw away those applications with below 3.0?

Members don't see this ad :)
fannian said:
I've allready submitted my application, and chosen my schools. How do I know which schools have a 3.0 filter? And how did you know for sure that your application was tossed because of the filter? Did you ultimately get into dental school with a GPA below 3.0? And if so, what did you get on DAT?

You do not know which schools have the filter, if you really want to know, and are pretty decent on the phone, you can call and ask... although right around rush application time you'll find that not a lot of people in the admissiosn department will want to take the time to really talk to you.

I found out it was tossed when I called up to check on an important additionally submitted LOR to make sure it had arrived before their deadline, and she said it didn't matter cause they'll look at my GPA+DAT first without reading anything else. So then I asked if they had a cutoff, she said yeah they do, and then after some hemming and hawing she said it was generally a 3.0 and that with "my numbers at this point of the game" there is 0% chance for the adcoms to even look at the other parts of the application. (I inquired because the strong point of my application lied with extracurriculars) She then told me it's pretty common with schools, and esp. as their classes gets more and more filled, the more rigorous the filter is applied.

Yes I ultimately got in because there are schools who looked at my overall application and invited me in for a few interviews, upon which I made the most out of the opportunities. My dat was not high, 20-21s, but I had special circumstances in the sense that I was personally well connected, and have held a crazy elite multimillion job in the finances prior, so those became the focus of my application.

It took me two cycles, and the entire process was very difficult and it's a definite uphill battle for us low GPA folks. Psychologically prep yourself in advance, and I highly recommend having a plan B.

Clarification: my overall GPA was over 3.0, science + BCP was under.... I have no idea what my GPA would have been categorically under this year's AADSAS system. I did apply really late though, so the road should get a bit easier if you apply early.

If you have any specific questions, PM me, as SDN's forums load up really really slow for me... and sometimes it just craps out.

fannian said:
I didn't expect my GPA's to be off the charts, but I didn't expect them to be this low either. I'm kind of worried about my chances for admission, what do you all think? I'm taking DAT in August, what score do you think I'll need to stand a chance? I'm not a good test taker, and don't feel prepared right now at all!

BCP 3.15
Sciences 2.97
Non-Sciences 3.17
Cumulative 3.04

I'm also worried about my Science GPA being below 3.0, I'm guessing I wouldn't even be considered for schools that have a minimum 3.0 GPA. Is this true?

You say that you didn't expect your gpa to be this low (ie. after aadsas calculated it), so what was your gpa at your undergrad school.

KHANSAHAAB said:
You say that you didn't expect your gpa to be this low (ie. after aadsas calculated it), so what was your gpa at your undergrad school.

Cumulative, 3.20. And I made all A's and B's in all Sciences, except two F's in a Chem and Math Class. My school gives out grade forgivness (3), but AADSAS doesn't.

fannian said:
Cumulative, 3.20. And I made all A's and B's in all Sciences, except two F's in a Chem and Math Class. My school gives out grade forgivness (3), but AADSAS doesn't.

AADSAS sounds fair to me. Yes I had problem with AADSAS GPA which counted all my 3.5 as 3.33 but I think they are doing this to be fair to everyone.

fannian said:

Grade forgivenss? Never heard of that concept before.