1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

My heart sunk a bit

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Accent, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Accent

Pre-Dental
    I thought I did well on the DAT so I applied, recently. Now, after I have read the posts on here, I'm pretty sure I went pale and my heart stopped for a minute from shock. I think I may have wasted my money.

PAT 22
    QR 21
    RC 22
    Bio 21
    GC 22
    OC 20
    TS 21
    AA 21

Overall GPA 3.0
    Science GPA 2.8

I received quite a few Ds and Fs and a good amount of Cs. There was no upward trend during my undergrad.

I spent the last 2 years re-taking some science courses along with science classes I haven't taken yet (ex. anatomy, physiology, microbio). I got all As. However, these were taken at a community college since I couldn't afford to take them at a "better" school (some of these classes were still hard though! Just sucks that community college is known to be easy even though it's not always true). My GPA used to be worse... I thought hitting 3.0 would be good, but ~3.5 is still considered low?:scared:

I see people here improving GPA through masters. Assuming I get rejected, what kind of a masters program should I be looking into? There was someone who mentioned a 1 year program, but I can't seem to find that post again. Is there any other way to prepare myself to apply again next year, instead of waiting another few years?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mightyrat

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    your DAT is phenomenal, good job!! :thumbup:

the only thing that will hurt you now is your GPA. Yes it is definitely on the low side and i do agree that it does suck that Community colleges arent given the credit they deserve...:mad:

as for the 3.5 being too low...thats just SDN being SDN...people on here score 23 AA and still ask if they should retake LOL a 3.5 is good enough for a LOT of dental schools. If you look at the averages for Columbia, they are at i believe a 3.3/3.4 something like that.

My advice is load up on courses this year and get As and hope for the best. Load your application with the other goodies (the ECs, the dental experience, you know that good stuff). As for the DAT...a job well done :)

4. Accent

Pre-Dental
    Thanks for your quick response. I'll have a bit of trouble loading up on some courses as I took most the science classes at the community college I have been attending. I almost hit the limit for some schools, I think it was around 60 units from cc? Does masters offer good financial aid?

Also, does it hurt if I just concentrate on EC and shadowing?

5. crew09

crew09 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Your DAT is excellent. I think the issue of CC is going to, unfortunetly, hurt you. I know that many times classes at CC can be even harder than those at a 4-year, but adcoms generally frown upon taking science classes there.

Regardless, you really should be proud of yourself. The ADEA AAADSAS handbook specific schools CC policy (some take none, others some, others only 60 hrs etc) if I were you I'd call each school either now or after the dec (you may still get interviews) and get advice verbatim from them. If you have dschools that you can meet in person with adcoms i'd do that.

People pursue masters because it's an entirely different GPA calculation. Check with schools first though, because some schools prefer undergrad courses (4-yr).

Great job on the DAT, you've cleared a huge hurdle.

To look up post-bac programs go to the main SDN forums and scroll down to 'post-bacc programs' or search the dental forums for masters or post-bacs...

6. LetsGo2DSchool

Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Which schools are you applying to? Some schools do not accept any CC credits. I can look them up in the ADEA Guide for you.

7. Accent

Pre-Dental
    I wished I signed up here sooner.

Just making sure... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=71 I'm looking in the right forum right? Not just for med students?
    I did apply for a post-bac program earlier this year. (I only knew of the one offered at SFSU at that time) I got rejected because they said they don't think the program will help improve my GPA...or something to that extent. I'll have to find that email again, but isn't that the point of a post bac? =/

So, masters help much?

I applied to 17, and I didn't think to thoroughly research for cc credit, until after I submitted. Stupid, I know, now. I looked at prereqs and class size.

ASDOH
    Midwestern AZ
    USC
    UOP
    Western U
    UCSF
    UCLA
    U Colorado
    Nova
    U Iowa
    U Louisville
    Tufts (found out no cc)
    BU (found out no cc)
    U Michigan
    U Minnesota
    UNLV
    NYU

I'm a CA resident if you're wondering why so many CA schools. Just thought I might have a better chance, heh.

8. jaymin8

2+ Year Member

Agree with everyone above. DAT scores are really good. You got 20+ in each section which makes you a strong applicant (as you are well rounded). Your GPA is pretty low. I would check to see if there is a cut off GPA for all the schools you applied to. Also, your EC, shadowing, volunteering, any research or internship will help out. Also, remember, although DAT and GPA play a big role, the interview, your EC, shadow, volunteer, etc., and personal statement still play a key role. If you "ace" the interview and personal statement, you should get accepted to some of the schools you applied to. Wish you the best!

9. LetsGo2DSchool

Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    17 schools -- man, you're making me work bro lol

ASDOH - accepts CC for pre-reqs and electives, no limits

Midwestern AZ - accepts CC for pre-reqs and electives, no limits

USC - accepts very limited CC for pre-reqs (no details) and 60 credits max for electives

UOP - accepts CC for pre-reqs and electives, says no limits but also says max 0 units

Western U - accepts CC for pre-reqs and electives, no limits

UCSF - accepts CC for pre-reqs and electives, 70 credits max

UCLA - accepts CC for pre-reqs and electives, 70 credits max

U Colorado - accepts CC for pre-reqs and electives, 60 credits max

Nova - accepts CC for pre-reqs and electives, 60 credits max

U Iowa - accepts CC for pre-reqs and electives, 60 credits max

U Louisville - accepts CC for pre-reqs and electives, 60 credits max

Tufts (found out no cc) - you are correct

BU (found out no cc) - says accepts CC for pre-reqs and electives, 30 credits max

U Michigan - accepts CC for pre-reqs and electives, 60 credits max

U Minnesota - accepts CC for pre-reqs and electives, 64 credits max

UNLV - accepts CC for pre-reqs and electives, 60 credits max

NYU - accepts CC for pre-reqs and electives, no limits

I would take these at face value since the info may not have been updated or submitted by a admin assistant. Best to call the schools to confirm.

10. Accent

Pre-Dental
    Thanks jaymin8. Some of the school were pretty ambiguous about gpa cutoff, just stating the entering class average or what they considered competitive. I was nowhere near that. ASDOH was 2.5, but recommended 3.0. Midwestern AZ was 2.75, but that's cutting close. I'll definitely look more into it.

Oh wow! I didn't expect you to answer all, but thanks a bunch, Lets! :D Guess it's like applying to 15 now, hopefully, that number doesn't decrease.

11. TamHLe

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    What were your study schedules?
    Congrats btw

12. crew09

crew09 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Officially, if anyone says LetsGo2DSchool is mean, I'll smack them across the face.

That's the right forum. Search 'dental'. Also search the dental forums for 'post-bac' there are a few threads on them.

So, it's a weird dilemma, a persons GPA can be too 'good' for a postbac and but not good enough to land interviews. Tough place to be. the SF post bac from what I understand is aimed at disadvantaged students (a lot of post bacs are) but there are some out there that are not, and those are better off for students who aren't Under Represented Minorities. Ideally try to find post-bac programs that have a 'linkage' of some sorts with a dental school, for example a high percentage of students that gain admission from that program etc.

a post bac can be both undergrad courses with a certificate, or they can award a masters degree (usually called SMP special masters program).

13. LetsGo2DSchool

Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I got some muscle watching my back lol.

Also, regarding post-bacs, it's not necessary to spend the big $$$ to enroll in a formal post-bac program, typically costing around $25K, when all you get is a year's worth of intro Bio, GChem, OChem and Physics (32 credits). One can easily enroll in classes at a nearby college and take the same courses on your own which will total around $15K. Plus, you can use the money saved on additional courses such as Biochem, Anatomy, Physiology, Histology, Microbiology, etc. which will make you a more desirable candidate as well as extra help in boosting the GPA.

14. Accent

Pre-Dental
    Guess I'll just save money for university classes, unless I can get into some programs that has what crew is talking about.

Thanks!
    My schedule was kind of...messy, so this might be messy to write out. I put into about 5 weeks of studying.

My materials were: kbb, destroyer, mcat examcrackers (this i don't recommend unless a friend lets you borrow, which was what happened in my case)

I don't remember my day-to-day schedule. This is roughly how my schedule went week-by-week:

1st week: I read kbb bio section. Jotted down section I felt weak in, but did not write any other notes. Didn't study those sections yet. Instead, I did the PAT section to see where I was at. I did not time myself. I just wanted to know how it worked. I studied the weak bio sections from textbook. Took the bio portion of the kbb practice test in back of the book. Any question I did not know at all or how to make a guess, I left blank. After I finished, I read sections in my textbook to help me answer the blank questions. I felt that if I checked my answers, I would cheat myself by thinking "oh yeah, that makes sense now" or "i remember now" when in actuality, I'll forget it easily because I was given the answer. Read mcat examcrackers bio as a review.

I averaged around 6 hours a day.

2nd week: I read kbb chem section. Jotted down what I should review. Read kbb ochem section. Make sure you understand sn1, sn2, e1, e2 reactions... I feel that this is very important. Used my ochem textbook.

I averaged around 6 hours day, with 2 days off. Ochem had burnt me out. I studied this subject the most that I wanted to get the highest score for this section. I made it my goal to aim for 25 on ochem. Talk about being cocky! It ended up being my lowest score lol.

3rd week: More ochem. Destroyer arrived! Went through about 100 ochem problems. Focused on my weakness. Copied the road maps in pen, leaving the products blank for me to fill in with pencil. Filled in one before or after a break, to give myself a sense of accomplishment or get myself back into study mode. Erased and left blank for another day. Made sure I filled in a minimum of 2 each day during this week. Returned to chem. Used textbook. I used some of the chapter review questions to get the basics down. Did kkb practice test for chem. Same technique as bio. Reviewed chem in mcat examcracker.

Some one told me that Kaplan PAT is just way too easy compared to the real DAT.
    I tried to modified the kbb PAT to get my brain thinking. So when I took the kbb practice PAT, I gave myself only 45mins rather than 60. Went back to the kbb PAT review section. I tried to imagine what the keyholes look like from different angles, making answers that were not listed. For TFE, I went through the wrong answers and point out parts that were wrong and how the object would have to look like. For angles, I just thought "argh, I'll take the hit on this one." Later, I practiced with the ADA sample test. I printed 2 pages on one paper, so the angles were pretty tricky due to the size. (I wasn't confident on any angle questions on the real test). For hole punching, I thought that that wouldn't be so bad. I just practiced this section with a shorter time limit. Cube sides were pretty easy, if you use kbb's strategy of tallying the cubes. For paper folding, I actually traced a couple of the harder shapes and cut them out, which turned out to be very tiny! I folded them, rotated, unfolded, and partial folded to create this motion object in my head. It's kind of hard to explain.

Averaged about 8 hours a day. 1 day off.

4th week: Did 100 bio question in Destroyer. This time I did check my answers instead of going to hunt for them because I felt pressured with time. I wrote any answers that I was pretty much clueless on down on paper as many of the answers that destroyer gives are pretty detailed. Read them before I went to sleep. Scanned through kbb QR to get the gist of things. Didn't read it like the science sections. Did kbb practice qr test. Mostly worked out of the destroyer. Attempted a destroyer math practice test every other day. Never finished on time. I gave up on timing and made sure I knew how to start on the problem right after I finish reading. I practiced until I didn't not have many pauses for each problem. Did about 50 chem problems. Check answers. Re-did ochem problems from destroyer that I did last week to make sure I didn't forget what I had learned. Did kbb computerized practice test. Reviewed answers with textbooks.

Averaged 8-10 hours a day. Both unfortunately and fortunately, my hours at work got cut and I was able to focus on studying more and prep my sleeping cycle for testing. I started to wake up around 5am and sleep around 10pm. A week from testing day, I went to the testing center to to gauge traffic and make sure I wouldn't get lost on testing day.

5th week: Did about 100 chem problems. Reviewed answers. Reviewed major ochem points. Did about 100 bio problems. Reviewed answers. Practiced QR. Reviewed answers. Did ADA sample test. I did not review answers yet. I read anything that I still felt weak on. Wrote down the answers to the ADA sample test again. Then checked both answer sets to see any improvement. Then reviewed answers. Lot of reviewing for the last few days. I could have continued with the rest of the destroyer as I have not went through the whole thing, but I thought it was better to just review. I think I ended up going over most of the destroyer chem section, and at least over half of ochem and bio sections and qr.

Averaged 10-12 hours a day. I requested this week off. Last day I did nothing, but review major points and went over qr. I had a nice dinner, watched tv, and had a heart-to-heart talk with my mom that had nothing to do with school or testing. My test was at 8am. I let myself sleep until 6, ate a simple breakfast (grits, sausage, and juice). I was used to waking up at 5 that I felt really refreshed getting an extra hour of sleep.

Oh, I didn't know I could bring food and water for break! :( My tummy did a lot of grumbling and rumbling during rc section. Speaking of rc, I didn't practice it much except for the ADA sample test, so I kind of used a different technique for each passage.

1. Read all questions and write down keywords, then read the passage and keep note of where the answers are. :thumbdown: (Would work better if you could have access to all questions at once)

2. Read entire passage. Then answer. :thumbdown: (I did this on a weird passage -not sure if I can say what the topic was on-, so it was time consuming).

3. Read questions and search for answers. (Wasn't a bad method)

What I wish I have tried was to read half the passage. Then looking at questions, you would know which half to look in. And if the answer was in the read half, then you should be able to find it easier and leave some extra time for questions that involve the unread half. Let me know if someone decides to try that.

15. nondescriptive

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    awesome score