My honest chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JHI42084

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, if anyone would give me their opinion, it would be greatly appreciated:

my gpa is 3.46 (bioengineering), I have about 2 years of clinical experience working with a physician, no pharmacy experience, lots of extracurricular (engineering honor society, ochem tutor etc), leadership experience for engineering organizations, and community service work. Do you think I have a chance to get into a california pharmD program?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe. Can't tell you unless I interviewed you & knew your PCAT. The GPA is below the mean, but it's ok if you can make up for it in other areas. I got into school with a 3.27 (WVU is comparable insofar as difficulty to get into vs. Cali schools), but I had other attributes that made me stand out.

cali schools don't require PCAT.

im applyin this year too and ur GPA seems average for like USC, UOP, and other schools except for UCSD and UCSF. UCSD is like 3.7 and UCSF is like 3.5+.

but ur clinical experience is fine from what ive heard. just explain why pharmacy is a fit for u.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should definitely get some pharmacy experience. Just start volunteering or something. Everything else you have seem great. As for UCSD & UCSF accepting high GPAs: that's what I thought too, but I still applied anyway and I'll be attending UCSD next year. My GPA was 3.5 when I applied, so you should be fine. Go for it!

JHI42084 said:

my gpa is 3.46 (bioengineering), I have about 2 years of clinical experience working with a physician, no pharmacy experience, lots of extracurricular (engineering honor society, ochem tutor etc), leadership experience for engineering organizations, and community service work. Do you think I have a chance to get into a california pharmD program?

You sound just like me...same degree and experience, but with a much higher GPA. I got into UIC and Midwestern, the only two schools I applied to. I would say you have a very good chance of getting in!

JHI42084 said:

Try to get some pharmacy experience as that will help you look more competitive. I think your GPA is fine. Don't get discouraged to apply to CA schools.
I have a 3.2 overall GPA and 3.1 Science GPA and still got into UCSF and waitlisted at UOP - the only CA schools I applied to this year. So it's possible; give it your best shot, work on your essays and apply early!
Good luck!

JHI42084 said:

Hey there,

It seems that your GPA isn't bad at all considering you're an engineering major. And EC are definitely looked upon favorably, especially at UCSF and UCSD. You have an excellent chance at most Cali schools, and I'd say a good chance at UCSF and UCSD. Remember, the average GPA at UCSF is 3.5 which means half of the applicants admitted had less than 3.5!

As for pharmacy experience, sure every point counts, but if you can't fit it into your schedule, don't break your neck over it.