My insane program (LIU Post) has decided to enroll a class of 43 people next year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

truthteller91

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you plan on attending LIU Post's PsyD program, I have some grave news. After the firing of two Program Directors in the past 2 years and the rest of the mishaps they've had, they now decided to enroll 43 students for the incoming cohort. If you plan on attending this program, I honestly would advise anyone not to. It's a mess. Between the constant changes in leadership, the pressure from the university administration to enroll more people while having fewer resources, this program is probably months away from losing APA accreditation.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OP, you may also want to post this issue on GradCafe, as there are far more incoming grad students on there then here.

Reactions: 2 users
I just looked at the program data page. $52,000 a year?!

• Wow
This is extremely unfortunate, especially for current students. The cost is exorbitant, but the other metrics (e.g., prior class sizes, internship match rates, licensure rates, attrition) looked to be respectable and the program's been accredited since 1974. Given the current list of faculty, that would basically work out to each faculty member taking on 3-4 new graduate students.

Have the faculty discussed this at all with current students? And have the discussed with you how this might affect things like class sizes and externship opportunities?

Reactions: 1 users
If you plan on attending LIU Post's PsyD program, I have some grave news. After the firing of two Program Directors in the past 2 years and the rest of the mishaps they've had, they now decided to enroll 43 students for the incoming cohort. If you plan on attending this program, I honestly would advise anyone not to. It's a mess. Between the constant changes in leadership, the pressure from the university administration to enroll more people while having fewer resources, this program is probably months away from losing APA accreditation.
This is awful!

How are 43 students in a cohort going to get quality training!? They won't.

APA needs to look at CW Post. Someone needs to report them to accreditation. If you're in the program and know the details, you can do it anonymously .

This is awful!

How are 43 students in a cohort going to get quality training!? They won't.

APA needs to look at CW Post. Someone needs to report them to accreditation. If you're in the program and know the details, you can do it anonymously .
The APA isn't going to do anything when Nova routinely has cohorts twice that size and nothing happens to them.
1619034328279.png

Reactions: 4 users
The APA isn't going to do anything when Nova routinely has cohorts twice that size and nothing happens to them.
View attachment 335331
Man, that sucks!

Spread the word, folks...large cohorts dilute every aspect of training. It is the starting difference between a predatory program and quality training.

Dude, MAKE SURE THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN GET DOXXED FROM THIS ACCOUNT.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is actually worse than what people think. The NYC area has an externship matching process similar to internship, so this may strain the system and create an imbalance of positions for all NYC area programs.

Reactions: 12 users
I’ve seen some programs that bring in close to 100 students per year.

I remember other posts in the past 2 years indicating a change at LIU Post. I think the university, rather than the dept, are pushing this change. Is that accurate?

Here is a relevant thread:

I have some friends in programs in the greater Boston area who are already feeling the strain from things similar like this. Massachusetts has externship matching, like NYC, that sites can opt-into. Some places, like VAs, don't opt in I believe.

If I am reading this correctly, William James took in 103 new students this year, and 119 students a few years ago: Clinical PsyD Student Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data at William James College

Absolute insanity...

What is absolutely wild. That's over twice the number of students in your normal cohorts. How are they even going to balance that? I understand university pressure to expand the program but are they threatening to fire everyone if they don't do what the university asks or something? Because they might assume it's as easy as just taking more students but at what point do you just drive a program into the ground?

What is absolutely wild. That's over twice the number of students in your normal cohorts. How are they even going to balance that? I understand university pressure to expand the program but are they threatening to fire everyone if they don't do what the university asks or something? Because they might assume it's as easy as just taking more students but at what point do you just drive a program into the ground?
It’s a professional program at a private college. Admin might well look at the admissions numbers and say, “you’re turning down fifty buckets of money a year I mean students??” Faculty could well have been told they are not generating enough. Maybe. Or maybe it’s crooked the whole way through.

It’s a professional program at a private college. Admin might well look at the admissions numbers and say, “you’re turning down fifty buckets of money a year I mean students??” Faculty could well have been told they are not generating enough. Maybe. Or maybe it’s crooked the whole way through.

I am curious about the affect the pandemic had on this decision. It would not surprise me if this was done to offset revenue losses in other areas.

Hi all,

I can provide some insights here.

The truth was core faculty members at this program were never informed by the school admin for such a huge number of admission (which is over 40) until the last day of offer acceptance. After feeling angry and disappointed, then, faculty members urgently decided to email all incoming students about this news in order to let them make an informed decision and promised students the deposit could be refunded. However, at that time, those students might have no choice but came into the program.

Furthermore, despite knowing the fact that this year was extremely competitive due to the pandemic, the school admin did not set a cap for the number of admissions and urged the interim program director to send more offers than in previous years.

TBH, the cohort size of this program has been historically small (among PsyD programs) and this program is not prepared to accommodate such a large cohort size. Even worse, there were some chaotic events that happened during the pandemic--in a nutshell, this program lost the official program director, one tenured professor, and some adjuncts. As a consequence, now it needs at least two tenured professors (to achieve the professor: student ratio regulated by APA), a bunch of supervisors, adjuncts, a new classroom, a new clinic...let alone this program is transitioning from the college of liberal and arts to the college of nursing and helping profession. It's a mess.

Losing APA Accreditation may be a little bit alarmist--just think about some problematic programs yet still with APA Accreditation lol. Besides, losing accreditation may take a long process, which gives people enough time to fix it. But one thing people should concern about is that this program may keep expanding as the core faculty members do not have much power to influence the decision. And apparently, the current LIU Post admin regards this program as a "money generator" rather than the school's star program, despite its decent reputation. Pessimistically speaking, maybe one day, it will become a giant program with watered-down training quality. Optimistically speaking, core faculty members and students are fighting against that. The new program director is coming. And this program is transitioning from the college of liberal and arts to the college of nursing and helping profession, which may be a good thing, considering some staffs at the college of liberal and arts, align with the upper admin, do not have a good relationship with this program.

Admittedly, this program still enjoys a great reputation in the NY area with solid training and stellar faculty members such as Jill Rathus, the developer of DBT Adolescent, and the co-author with Marsha Linehan. However, I would advise people to be cautious about applying to this program in the next years until everything has been settled down, as I have no idea about the future of this program and no one can foresee that so far.

Hope things there will get better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Yeah I honestly just don't know. Like it's possible they don't care right? Program directors and chairs maybe don't bat an eye at placing more burden on their faculty for the sake of making more money for the university. Or maybe there's a lot of pressure that in some way compels them to do this. It's all pretty shady.

Twice? That's over six times the number of students that were in my cohort!
LOLZ yeah our cohorts are 4-6 usually so this is 10 times our normal cohort size. But the normal cohort size at LIU Post is typically 19 or 20 from what I can see. So a suddenly ramp up of 2x the normal amount is intense.

I was accepted to the PsyD. program at LIU Post this year, and I plan to matriculate this fall. I agree, that news of the cohort expansion has been incredibly troubling to me. I am well aware of the many predatory PsyD programs, particularly those at professional schools, which can accept 80 or more students in a given year. I applied to LIU because the program has, historically, had small cohort sizes (for a PsyD), and good APA match rates/licensure outcomes.

I have had several conversation with the interim program director since my acceptance, so hopefully I can provide some insight. According to the director, the program did not intend to double the cohort size this year. It is true that the program has been growing, this was said during my interview. The school planned to accept 24 to 26 students this year. In what was, frankly, a massive overcorrection due to COVID-19, the school sent over 100 acceptances (twice as many as a normal year) to secure ~25 students. During the last 24 hours before the national acceptance deadline (April 15), the school received close to 40 acceptances, leading to the extraordinarily large cohort.

The director has informed me that a committee has been created within the program to hire additional faculty. To paraphrase his words, he told me that the program intends to live up to the requirements of their accreditation, and provide the education/training for which you are paying tuition.

To give credit where it's due, the department has been very transparent. The program director called me from his personal cell phone on April 15 (acceptance deadline) to inform me of the changes to the program size. He did indeed offer to return my application fee and deposit if I decided not to attend. Obviously, this is the last thing anyone wants to hear before they commit 5+ years of their life to something, but I took it as the director trying to be up front about the mistake, and allow students to make informed decisions.

I am not trying to defend LIU Post or the PsyD program. As an incoming student, I feel that the program is not what I initially applied to, and I am incredibly frustrated by the mistakes that have been made. Again, to credit the faculty, however, they have been very communicative and up-front about these changes. I agree that none of this is good news, though I would not necessarily jump to the conclusion that this is a death sentence for the program.

I was accepted to the PsyD. program at LIU Post this year, and I plan to matriculate this fall. I agree, that news of the cohort expansion has been incredibly troubling to me. I am well aware of the many predatory PsyD programs, particularly those at professional schools, which can accept 80 or more students in a given year. I applied to LIU because the program has, historically, had small cohort sizes (for a PsyD), and good APA match rates/licensure outcomes.

I have had several conversation with the interim program director since my acceptance, so hopefully I can provide some insight. According to the director, the program did not intend to double the cohort size this year. It is true that the program has been growing, this was said during my interview. The school planned to accept 24 to 26 students this year. In what was, frankly, a massive overcorrection due to COVID-19, the school sent over 100 acceptances (twice as many as a normal year) to secure ~25 students. During the last 24 hours before the national acceptance deadline (April 15), the school received close to 40 acceptances, leading to the extraordinarily large cohort.

The director has informed me that a committee has been created within the program to hire additional faculty. To paraphrase his words, he told me that the program intends to live up to the requirements of their accreditation, and provide the education/training for which you are paying tuition.

To give credit where it's due, the department has been very transparent. The program director called me from his personal cell phone on April 15 (acceptance deadline) to inform me of the changes to the program size. He did indeed offer to return my application fee and deposit if I decided not to attend. Obviously, this is the last thing anyone wants to hear before they commit 5+ years of their life to something, but I took it as the director trying to be up front about the mistake, and allow students to make informed decisions.

I am not trying to defend LIU Post or the PsyD program. As an incoming student, I feel that the program is not what I initially applied to, and I am incredibly frustrated by the mistakes that have been made. Again, to credit the faculty, however, they have been very communicative and up-front about these changes. I agree that none of this is good news, though I would not necessarily jump to the conclusion that this is a death sentence for the program.
This reads as if the school sends out an over abundance of acceptances all at once and just hopes/assumed only 25% accept. Is that a correct interpretation? If so, that sounds problematic, as it may then turn out... as it did. Typically, programs only extend as many offers as they can handle, then wait for a response from potential students before moving down the waitlist.

This reads as if the school sends out an over abundance of acceptances all at once and just hopes/assumed only 25% accept. Is that a correct interpretation? If so, that sounds problematic, as it may then turn out... as it did. Typically, programs only extend as many offers as they can handle, then wait for a response from potential students before moving down the waitlist.
This is indeed what happened. I can't speak for previous years, but this year, in order to secure 25 students, the school sent out 100 acceptances. I would imagine that this was a response due to the circumstances created by COVID-19. Schools across the country received far more applications than usual. LIU, for instance, received over twice as many applications compared to a "normal" year (400+ applications vs 200 for most years). As a result, students held onto acceptances far longer into the application cycle than normal as they waited for wait-list offers. I imagine that, in order for the PsyD program to remain financially feasible, the school needed to secure a certain number of incoming students, panicked, and subsequently accepted too many students.

Again, I am not defending the actions taken by LIU. There are certainly management problems at the school, which are very worrying as an incoming student. I do feel it is necessary, however, to take all factors into consideration. The program at LIU has steadily grown over the past several years from 18-20 students to about 24. It does not seem that the administration willingly doubled the incoming cohort for 2021. 2020 caused many unforeseen circumstances which have impacted higher education. For instance, some programs (not necessarily psych) have had to cancel incoming classes altogether due to lack of funding. In light of these circumstances, I do not believe it is fair to jump to the worst-case scenario, i.e. LIU doubled the size of their PsyD just to scam twice as many students.

This seems very unfortunate. Even with hiring more faculty, it takes time to interview, hire, get them onboard, get them situated, get them in a position to actually be able to adequately mentor a student. Those first couple years are going to be ROUGH for some students.

I just want to warn you, the interim Director (he's only been hired for a faculty role last year, then ended up becoming interim director because Dr Vidair was removed by the school administration; the current director will leave this role next year, there is already a process in place to find the new director) has not shown great leadership throughout this whole endeavor. He has consistently failed to deliver in terms of his duties this entire year. He's very incompetent.

While I took every precaution, on some level I almost wish I did get doxxed lol. I want out.
Dude. Maybe you could. Take your losses. Don’t fall into the sunk cost fallacy. Use this experience (good grades etc) to get into a more advantageous program.

Here are the ads I could locate for the PsyD program:

It is so interesting that the ad includes an Assistant Professor for a DCT position. That would be asking for continued leadership problems.

The only other position is to teach the Personality Assessment course. I am assuming that the current instructor for that course refused to double the class enrollment. My Personality Assessment course was 6 students and the instructor had a TA. I taught a Personality Assessment for masters-level students with an enrollment of 10 once. I cannot imagine the load of reading numerous reports, watching videos, and grading any other exams/assignments for even 20 students.

Overall, this does not seem like a significant increase in resources for a doubled cohort. I would likely riot as a a faculty member if everything was doubled for a cohort.

It is so interesting that the ad includes an Assistant Professor for a DCT position. That would be asking for continued leadership problems.

The only other position is to teach the Personality Assessment course. I am assuming that the current instructor for that course refused to double the class enrollment. My Personality Assessment course was 6 students and the instructor had a TA. I taught a Personality Assessment for masters-level students with an enrollment of 10 once. I cannot imagine the load of reading numerous reports, watching videos, and grading any other exams/assignments for even 20 students.

Overall, this does not seem like a significant increase in resources for a doubled cohort. I would likely riot as a a faculty member if everything was doubled for a cohort.

Yeah, I TAed a grad assessment course with 10-11 students but the professor had two TAs, myself included.

Yeah, I TAed a grad assessment course with 10-11 students but the professor had two TAs, myself included.

Yeah, I can't imagine being a faculty there. Also, I think people tend to conflate the workload of teaching an undergrad section and teaching grad sections as equivalent. "And there are fewer students in a grad class!" Yeah, but grad classes aren't just MC quizzes and tests, with maybe a short writing assignment. The workload difference in the instructor is HUGE for these grad classes" If they're doing it right, anyway.

This is so interesting to read about. I applied to Post in 2018 and it was actually a very pleasant experience. It has a history of good training and is well respected in the area. It's sad to hear about all the changes and honestly makes me feel pity to see a good program tumble into the weeds :(
If I am reading this correctly, William James took in 103 new students this year, and 119 students a few years ago: Clinical PsyD Student Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data at William James College

Absolute insanity...
WJC has been doing that **** for over a decade. It sucks, because there ARE good students at that school and the instruction is actually not that bad once you get into the specialized classes... but when you have 100+ in a cohort there are bound to be a heaping handful of bad eggs. We had one of those bad eggs at our facility a while ago as an advanced prac student. She just straight up didn't show half the time, leaving the rest of us to scramble for coverage. I don't understand -___-

I had to teach personality assessment for 20 students for the last two years with 1 TA. I immediately requested to transfer teaching load and thankfully am free of that impossible request. the growing program and large cohort make it impossible to give the same level of attention for a six person course, which is what is typical. I teach for two programs in a combined course, which partially explains the size. But growth pushed by admin for grad enrollment was the major issue. The only way to do it is decrease the content and experience, especially as a pre tenure who's job security is centered on Grants / papers, not teaching. Its unfortunate because it's an area I am an expert in.

Dude. Maybe you could. Take your losses. Don’t fall into the sunk cost fallacy. Use this experience (good grades etc) to get into a more advantageous program.
I really appreciate you saying that. Truly. Apparently, a few of my classmates were shopping around and were told they would need to start over if they transfer to another PsyD/PhD program. As difficult as that is to hear, it may be worth it. The program may not survive the next 3 years. Who knows what it will look like by the time we graduate. I'm also considering leaving the field entirely, partially because of how low internship and post-doc salaries are. It seems that there aren't many well-paid opportunities prior to licensure.

• Sad
Apparently, a few of my classmates were shopping around and were told they would need to start over if they transfer to another PsyD/PhD program. As difficult as that is to hear, it may be worth it. The program may not survive the next 3 years.
Some programs might be more flexible in allowing you to waive retaking certain non 'core' classes (e.g., social psych) but you'll likely still need to fill that slot with another elective or extra research credits so it probably won't be shortening the program length. It could potentially be different if somebody is more advanced and/or can demonstrate having met core competencies but you'd be at the mercy of the new program.

Do you think you'd be competitive for funded PhDs if you were to apply next cycle or have ways to beef up your CV? Or would you be PsyD focused if you looked elsewhere?

Any program looking at an application from somebody who has withdrawn from another doctoral program would definitely scrutinize the context but given how dramatically your program has changed without student input, that seems like a valid reason to me. Good luck!

@truthteller91 Recent Post alum here. I feel terribly for your experience at Post. Given the pragmatic difficulties that existed in a cohort of 19 (which based on my experiences talking with other programs wasn't necessarily individual to our program) but the problems that have multiplied ridiculously in the past two years, I do worry for the quality of training. The multiple roles that each professor is asked to do (CCE chair, dissertation chair, supervision, student advisor, professor) seems impossible. It was already stressful and competitive to get the person who was a fit for you.Honestly, depending on how far you are in (if it's just one year) I might suggest a transfer even if you lose a year. However, I will say that we did/do have a good reputation at externships/internships which is a plus and where most of your learning happens anyway. Good luck!

I'd like to make an update to this thread because our program just lost more faculty members and the 3rd Director (in 3 years) announced he will be resigning. There aren't enough people this year to chair a dissertation.

• Wow
  • Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 6 users
Thanks for the update. That's horrifying.

I'd like to make an update to this thread because our program just lost more faculty members and the 3rd Director (in 3 years) announced he will be resigning. There aren't enough people this year to chair a dissertation.
Resigning in the middle of the year? Yikes! Or is he staying through the end of Spring semester? That’s rough!

Resigning in the middle of the year? Yikes! Or is he staying through the end of Spring semester? That’s rough!
The Director of the orogram (who was just appointed a few months ago!) announced last week that he will be resigning after the Spring semester. And the Director of Clinical Training (who served as Program Director last year) announced his resignation as well and gave 2 weeks.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Many of our faculty have also chosen to retire/leave. There was a meeting with the Dean today about the future of the program. Please, advise new applicants not to apply here. Even last year as I made my appeal on here, I got messages from applicants saying they still wanted to go and ignore my advice. The 1st year cohort this year has 44 people! Save your money and save your sanity.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
The Director of the orogram (who was just appointed a few months ago!) announced last week that he will be resigning after the Spring semester. And the Director of Clinical Training (who served as Program Director last year) announced his resignation as well and gave 2 weeks.
Resignation from the DCT position or from the program entirely?

Many of our faculty have also chosen to retire/leave. There was a meeting with the Dean today about the future of the program. Please, advise new applicants not to apply here. Even last year as I made my appeal on here, I got messages from applicants saying they still wanted to go and ignore my advice. The 1st year cohort this year has 44 people! Save your money and save your sanity.
Applicants: Please trust the consensus of others and the professionals in the field, not your gut. I promise they know something you may not.

Reactions: 3 users