My Journey - Low GPA/Low MCAT: 4 Years Later

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GratefulDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the interview season is wrapping up, some of you may be discouraged because you are still waiting for an acceptance or you didn't have any interviews at all this year. 5 - 6 years ago, I was in your shoes. So I know exactly how you are feeling. I want to write this message to give you all a shout out and to let you know that if medicine is your calling, then don't give up. I wrote this thread 4 years ago after my acceptances to medical schools. At that time, there were a number of nay-sayers. And I don't blame them since both my GPA and MCAT scores were low (and with multiple MCAT attempts).

Fast forward 4 years: Match Day was yesterday. I am happy to report that I matched into my #1 choice in one of the most competitive specialties (think Derm, Neurosurgery, Plastic Surgery, Ortho, ENT, Intervention Radiology, etc.). I did this despite a Step 1 score that is well below the average of matched candidates for my specialty. I worked very hard in medical school and had high hope. But perhaps standardized test is just not my strength, I only managed to score right in the average for my Step 1. My Step 1 score is about 15 - 20 points below the average for matched candidates in my specialty. When I got my score, I was completely crushed (just like I was when I received my MCAT scores) and thought that it would be the end of my dream in that specialty. I thought very seriously about changing my goal. Even with several away rotations in my target/then-unreachable-so-I-thought specialty already lined up, I was still wavering about whether I should spend the time and money in doing so since my chance of getting matched in that specialty is so low given my very sub-par Step 1 (sub-par compared to the other candidates in my specialty, not sub-par in the general sense). Not only did I not have the Step 1 score, I also did not have any research for a field that highly values research (it is not uncommon for candidates to take a research year in order to be competitive). As late as the week before residency applications were due, I still wasn't sure if it was the right thing for me to apply to that specialty. But at the end, my heart won out - I've got to try before I throw in the towel.

Not only did I end up getting a good number of interview invites, some of them are top 10 programs in my specialty and my back-up (my Step 1 score is ~5 points below the average for matched candidates in my backup specialty). And yesterday, I found out that I matched my #1 choice in my specialty - my dream has indeed come true. I want to share this story because I want you all to know that numbers do not define who you are. Yes, numbers are important, but they are not as important as you think or as SDN may have you believed. I am a classic example of this. In both my medical school and residency applications, I did not have the numbers to be considered (to be honest, I think my numbers will be laughed at in SDN if I disclose the details). What I did have is an incredible work ethics, very good interpersonal skills, extremely strong recommendations, and mentors who believed in me throughout my journey.

If I would have given up 6 years ago when I had zero interview during my first med school application cycle, I would not be here today. The morale of my story is that if medicine is truly what you want to do, don't let failures along the way deter you. And certainly don't let a mere number (GPA or MCAT) define you. It is certainly possible, but be prepared to work very hard and have a good backup plan. I did, and I am so excited about what future will bring. Take care and the best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Congrats on your accomplishments and thanks for sharing your story!