My last recommendation letter, who should i get it from? Please let me know.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OATAcer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm trying to decide who I should get my last recommendation letter from.

Option 1: I took Physics 1 & 2, and obtained an A (In both lecture & Lab) with the same instructor. This course was taught at community college. Instructor holds a masters degree.

Option 2: I took Organic Chemistry Part 1 and I received an F (In lecture only). This course was taught at a university. Instructor holds a PhD. Then I repeated the course with the same instructor at the same institution and received a B (In lecture only). :)

Both instructors are willing to write me a letter of recommendation. Who should I go with? I trust both, but what would make my application sound better. Physics or O-Chem (Failed then repeated)?

Members don't see this ad.

Physics? Can you please tell me why you say physics instead of organic chemistry? The way I am thinking is that since I failed Organic Chemistry and later repeated it with the same instructor and received a very good grade, maybe he can provide better insight to the schools about my maturity and want to learn more? I don't know, please help people! I need opinions on this one. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
If you failed a class and re took it with the same professor and got a better grade..it's because you already knew what he was going to teach. Anyways the degree the professor holds doesn't matter, it is what they have to say about you.

So in your opinion Physics?

Would it matter if letter is from a community college instructor vs. university instructor?

If you failed a class and re took it with the same professor and got a better grade..it's because you already knew what he was going to teach. Anyways the degree the professor holds doesn't matter, it is what they have to say about you.

Hi All,

I'm trying to decide who I should get my last recommendation letter from.

Option 1: I took Physics 1 & 2, and obtained an A (In both lecture & Lab) with the same instructor. This course was taught at community college. Instructor holds a masters degree.

Option 2: I took Organic Chemistry Part 1 and I received an F (In lecture only). This course was taught at a university. Instructor holds a PhD. Then I repeated the course with the same instructor at the same institution and received a B (In lecture only). :)

Both instructors are willing to write me a letter of recommendation. Who should I go with? I trust both, but what would make my application sound better. Physics or O-Chem (Failed then repeated)?

Why not both? Last time I checked, you may have up to 4 Letter of Rec for the OptomCAS.

However, Did you confront the professor with "Professor, can you write me a great letter of recommendation?" And not just, "Are you able to write me a letter of rec?" I believe, professors have had student asked for a letter of rec before and if they don't think they can write you a great/personal one, then they will be honest with you. You have to feel it out too, does the professor know you in some ways and your NOT just a number in the class or just by your grade?

Personally, I choose professors that I've gone for office hour help (sometimes just to talk with them), I sat in the front of the class where he or she sees me, participate if there is a need, and have attained an A.

So my answer is BOTH, if you think it is conformed by my second question (even if you got a "B" on OChem, heck that's awesome). I hope you're able accomplish the task. Make sure to give at least 1 month for them to turn it in (as a courtesy). Have an awesome day!

Last edited:
You choose the prof that can give you the best recommendation and the one that knows you the best. The degree and subject matter or grade shouldn't be in your priority when asking for recommendation. For instance its better to ask a prof that you made a "B" in, but have TA for them over a prof that you made an "A" in, but don't know who you are b/c you took the class with 100 other students. It comes down to what he/she has to say.

You are so right about how you ask for the LOR! I like that point. Well, I have already received 3 letters of rec's and I am onto the last one, still deciding :cool: All your points are legit, thank you so much! Have an awesome day!

Why not both? Last time I checked, you may have up to 4 Letter of Rec for the OptomCAS.

However, Did you confront the professor with "Professor, can you write me a great letter of recommendation?" And not just, "Are you able to write me a letter of rec?" I believe, professors have had student asked for a letter of rec before and if they don't think they can write you a great/personal one, then they will be honest with you. You have to feel it out too, does the professor know you in some ways and your NOT just a number in the class or just by your grade?

Personally, I choose professors that I've gone for office hour help (sometimes just to talk with them), I sat in the front of the class where he or she sees me, participate if there is a need, and have attained an A.

So my answer is BOTH, if you think it is conformed by my second question (even if you got a "B" on OChem, heck that's awesome). I hope you're able accomplish the task. Make sure to give at least 1 month for them to turn it in (as a courtesy). Have an awesome day!

True

You choose the prof that can give you the best recommendation and the one that knows you the best. The degree and subject matter or grade shouldn't be in your priority when asking for recommendation. For instance its better to ask a prof that you made a "B" in, but have TA for them over a prof that you made an "A" in, but don't know who you are b/c you took the class with 100 other students. It comes down to what he/she has to say.

You are so right about how you ask for the LOR! I like that point. Well, I have already received 3 letters of rec's and I am onto the last one, still deciding :cool: All your points are legit, thank you so much! Have an awesome day!

You're welcome OATAcer. I hope lurkers are taking it into account as well. I learned those little details from attending Pre-Med/Law Advising Workshop and I truly hope students are taking advantage of those workshops from there university. :thumbup: