1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

my list of schools i'm applying to:

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by jlee1986, May 13, 2008.

1. jlee1986

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    hey guys,

i hate to bombard you with another "where to apply" thread, but i'm not sure if i'm applying to the right place/the right number of schools with my stats. if anything, can you guys tell me where NOT to apply? i want to save money on schools not really worth applying to...thanks, i really appreciate your help! :)

3.7 overall, 3.7 science gpa, 21/21/26 DAT
    korean descent
    university of michigan
    3 years of research experience (NIH)
    sorority vice president
    various volunteer activities
    orgo I and II lab TA
    intramural sports
    100+ hours of general dentist shadowing
    pre-dental association
    lifeguard

this is my list of schools:
    michigan
    nyu
    columbia
    stony brook
    tufts
    boston u
    temple
    upenn
    umdnj
    virginia commonwealth
    ucsf
    ucla
    uconn
    case
    asdoh

again, i really appreciate your help!!

oh yeah, i'm a new york resident. forgot to mention that, sorry!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. zoom12

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You have a well rounded app. If you can afford to apply to that many go for it! It should be more than enough.

3. Hybridtavo

Hybridtavo Dr Ortegon
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    All I can say is U r IN!!!! GOod Job!!! Im in the same dilemma as far as what schools to apply unfortunately my stats r not as high as urs, call the schools ask some questions as far as program and what they offer that makes them stand out, I actually did that yesterday + I had some input from the guys here on SDN. Good luck!!!

4. small

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    You're not going to have any problems getting in, so you might consider widdling down your list a bit. Also, did you list your ethnicity along with your achievements because you'd like to know where other Korean-Americans go to dental school? If not, I don't think your race will matter.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Mackchops

Mackchops Toothy grin
    15+ Year Member

Dentist
    You have good stats and assuming you interview well you should do fine. I would recommend narrowing down to 7-8 schools you WANT to attend. Maybe 2 reaches, 3 ballpark, and 2-3 "safer" schools. Depending on where you want to be geographically it might look like:
    Reach - Uconn, Columbia
    Ballpark - Tufts, Stony, Buff
    "Safer" - NYU, Temple

There's no need to apply to all those schools. Also, why isn't Buff on your list if you're a NY resident?

6. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You have very strong stats you pretty much can apply anywhere with the exception of a few state schools that reserve 90+% of their seats for instaters.

Don't overlook Buffalo since you are a ny resident.
    If you want you could try applying to Harvard. :D
    You may get away with not having to apply to NYU since it is one of the most expensive schools around. You can't go wrong with Tufts, it may be expensive but they will work you over, people come out of there with well rounded strong clinical skills.

7. jlee1986

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    thank you so much for your responses guys!! does anyone have any feedback on the california schools? also, i'm not applying to buffalo cause i actually applied for the early assurance program last summer (http://www.sdm.buffalo.edu/programs/dds/EarlyAssurance.html) and was offered a spot for the 2009 freshman class. i still wanted to apply to other schools to get a chance to look at their programs (i'm from buffalo, and i'd actually rather not stay in the area...unless it has a program that i'm looking for over the other schools.

does anyone else have any other comments/suggestions? i'd really appreciate it :)

8. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    UCLA accepts few out of states I think.

9. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i hvae always wondered why some schools are considered safety schools, when people with stats like this are denied from these 'safety' schools just as much as 'top choice' schools???

10. Bruinlove

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Your stats are right around the average for both UCLA and UCSF. So I guess you definitely have a shot.

11. Bruinlove

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I guess it is because those "safety" schools are less selective than top choice schools?