My mentor wants to Cold Call, should they or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Premed Geek

Reaction score
Hey all, I hope everyone is well. I am an applicant. I have a strong GPA, EC's, great clinical experience, lots of research (some going to be published very soon), etc. Anyways, my MCAT is the only thing holding me back. I have already spoken to several adcoms, have received great advice as well, etc. There is this one school I am obsessed with it, and anyways would it be beneficial for my mentor to give a cold call to the school? He offered me to do it, he is a well-known MD from an Ivy League as well, and he loves the osteopathic principles, but I am not sure how the school will take an MD cold call? Also, I have never even heard of a cold-call until he mentioned it. Also, would it hurt my chances, etc? Idk if I should allow him to just call up the dean.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your MCAT? A former grad or faculty call would carry more weight in my mind. The MCAT is used as a predictor, although not a strong one, on 1st and 2nd yr academic performance. Low Mcat scores suggest a greater chance for course failure, remediation, repeating a year, or national board failure. Quite frankly, a cold call endorsing a student with a low mcat might have little impact on my recommendation to the ADCOM. I would not view the call as a negative.

Last edited:
What is your MCAT? A former grad or faculty call would carry more weight in my mind. The MCAT is used as a predictor, although not a strong one, on 1st and 2nd yr academic performance. Low Mcat scores suggest a greater chance for course failure, remediation, repeating a year, or national board failure. Quite frankly, a cold call endorsing a student with a low mcat might have little impact on my recommendation to the ADCOM. I would not view the call as a negative.
In the 490s, I took it multiple times too.

Multiple attempts with similar low scores would be problematic for me to recommend admission. Having said that, there are students who receive admissions with scores like that. Something to consider might be a post bac yr with a link to admission, NOT just an interview, as some offer. Meaning, if you maintain a certain GPA during the post bac, you are in. This is a strong indicator to the school that you can handle the rigors of the first 2 yrs. I'm not saying there is no hope by any means. Your entire app has to be considered, especially if you have other positive points, a D1 athlete, volunteer med team on an Everest climb, military service, etc.. Another Mcat try might not help as some schools avg them together. Lots of advice on DIY post bacs or formal post bacs on SDN. I think they call them Masters of Medical Sciences now. Regardless, this is my 2 cents. Good luck and best wishes for whichever way you choose!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank your mentor and tell his NOT to do this.

"well-known MD from an Ivy League"
He may be well known in his own academic circle, but I guarantee you that even if he were a Nobel laureate, his call would do nothing for your status, except maybe get you a courtesy interview, which would be followed by a polite spot on the wait list, to be followed by an even more polite reject at the very end of the cycle.

Reactions: 5 users
Thank your mentor and tell his NOT to do this.

"well-known MD from an Ivy League"
He may be well known in his own academic circle, but I guarantee you that even if he were a Nobel laureate, his call would do nothing for your status, except maybe get you a courtesy interview, which would be followed by a polite spot on the wait list, to be followed by an even more polite reject at the very end of the cycle.
Ahh makes sense. Yah you’re right. That’s what I was thinking too. But damn he’s like let me. And I was like nahh,

Reactions: 1 users