Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I figured I'd share this story with my fellow non-trads. Warning, it's long.
I'm not going to lie. As of late I've been reading tons and tons of stuff related to medical training etc. Whether it be a blog, book, or magazine article I've noticed a lot of cynicism and distaste towards the training process in general. I admit that these things have influenced me a bit. That isn't to say I regret going through the application process, but more so that I find myself in a bit of self doubt at times.
That being said last night, I went to the E.R. Not shadowing, not to volunteer, but as a patient. Yesterday is one of five times in my life I've been to the E.R. as a patient. The first time was when I tried to fight a tree (I was on a bike) when I was about 13. The second was for a broken bone and lucky numbers 3 and 4 were both related to the eventual lap chole I had done. I like to think of the E.R. as an absolute last resort. I only go there if I feel really really bad.
Well, last night I felt really really bad. At about 8:30 I started breaking out in sweats, my heart started skipping beats, and I began to feel pains in my chest. I'm more of a tough through it sort of guy, so I went on with the night. These symptoms lasted for about an hour. I told my wife and she asked me what I wanted to do. I said I could wait and would go see a PCP or urgent care in the morning. As we were out with friends, I tried my best to relax and eventually my symptoms subsided somewhat. However, that would only be temporary as when I got home (about 1am) the real symptoms began. At about 1:30 I started sweating and couldn't lie down. Then I started to feel fairly deep stabbing pains in my chest (fairly painful) compounded with a massive building of pressure in my head (Very painful). So, I told my wife that I think I should go to the E.R.
That was it, we hopped in the car and off we were. I got there, told the triage nurse my symptoms and was immediately put in a room to get an ekg. My wife (who handled this all brilliantly) suggested I look at the ekg. So, I do and I start thinking out loud. Rate is fine, a pvc in a rhythm strip, axis is normal, no ST changes (whew), No significant Q waves, nothing really of notice. Essentially a stone cold normal ekg. As I'm doing this the nurse starts to look at me funny like..
Her: "So you know about ekg's eh?"
Me: "Yeah, it's a hobby." ← smiling.
I try to be the best possible patient I can in the E.R. because for one, it's the right thing to do. For two, people are generally more motivated to help you if you're polite. And lastly, I get that E.R. people have some of the rudest/meanest SOB's for patients.
So they wheel me off to a room, get me set up, draw blood and get a urine sample. So then a PA comes to see me and gives me one of the, "So I hear you like ekg's." He was really nice and even though the pressure was continuing to build in my head and my chest hurt like the fire of a thousand suns, I was cordial. We talked, I told him my symptoms and then I told him I was starting medical school in the fall. He told me I'd be his boss some day and we both laughed. We chit-chatted, I made a few jokes and he talked to me about how he hated to be pimped back in the day.
Meanwhile, I can hear a patient tell some of the staff to F*** off and that she's leaving. In another room I could hear a nurse calmy explaining to a man why Dilaudid isn't really necessary for his pain (that one made me laugh).
So, in a bit the attending comes in and we talk. He's a DO, I'm going to be a DO. We chit chat for a bit about specialties and OMM and then he tells me what's up. Normal ekg, normal enzymes, but he wants to run enzymes again in 4 hours. I tell him ok, but that the pressure in my head is really starting to get bad (It was). He says..
"Let's get a CT. And I'll get you some medicine to help you relax."
I say fine, we chit chat some more (his wife is an internist). Essentially, one of the coolest dudes I've ever met. I really felt like he cared.
Nurse (who was very cool) walks in with relaxing medicine (morphine), she gets about halfway down the syringe and I tell her to stop. This is the part in the story where I try to comprehend anyone wanting to be a drug addict. It felt like poison. I got sick, felt hot, thought I was going to throw up. Not relaxing at all. In fact, far from it. Eventually though I did calm down and the pressure in my head seem to subside.
Long story short, other than my BP (which was high all night >150/90), everything came back normal. I talked to the internist and he said the pressure in my head could be due to allergies (just having moved and not used to where I live now) and that the second set of enzymes were fine. The internist was a DO too. I could tell he hadn't slept in about 2 years, but again it was obvious that he cared. They were d/c'ing me and I'd follow up with an outpatient stress test.
For the most part, all my pain has gone away. I'm just sharing my story because the people (PA, Nurses, Docs) at this hospital really helped me. Yeah, they didn't give me a definitive diagnosis but they sure as hell pushed me through what was to me a pretty scary situation (I've NEVER felt that bad before). It was obvious that many of them were exhausted, but that they also honestly gave a crap for someone they hardly knew (which is more than I can say for most people in this world). Last night made me proud to say this is the field I'm going into. I just hope one day, I can be there for somebody too.
Thanks for letting me share. Now, I'm going back to bed 🙂
I'm not going to lie. As of late I've been reading tons and tons of stuff related to medical training etc. Whether it be a blog, book, or magazine article I've noticed a lot of cynicism and distaste towards the training process in general. I admit that these things have influenced me a bit. That isn't to say I regret going through the application process, but more so that I find myself in a bit of self doubt at times.
That being said last night, I went to the E.R. Not shadowing, not to volunteer, but as a patient. Yesterday is one of five times in my life I've been to the E.R. as a patient. The first time was when I tried to fight a tree (I was on a bike) when I was about 13. The second was for a broken bone and lucky numbers 3 and 4 were both related to the eventual lap chole I had done. I like to think of the E.R. as an absolute last resort. I only go there if I feel really really bad.
Well, last night I felt really really bad. At about 8:30 I started breaking out in sweats, my heart started skipping beats, and I began to feel pains in my chest. I'm more of a tough through it sort of guy, so I went on with the night. These symptoms lasted for about an hour. I told my wife and she asked me what I wanted to do. I said I could wait and would go see a PCP or urgent care in the morning. As we were out with friends, I tried my best to relax and eventually my symptoms subsided somewhat. However, that would only be temporary as when I got home (about 1am) the real symptoms began. At about 1:30 I started sweating and couldn't lie down. Then I started to feel fairly deep stabbing pains in my chest (fairly painful) compounded with a massive building of pressure in my head (Very painful). So, I told my wife that I think I should go to the E.R.
That was it, we hopped in the car and off we were. I got there, told the triage nurse my symptoms and was immediately put in a room to get an ekg. My wife (who handled this all brilliantly) suggested I look at the ekg. So, I do and I start thinking out loud. Rate is fine, a pvc in a rhythm strip, axis is normal, no ST changes (whew), No significant Q waves, nothing really of notice. Essentially a stone cold normal ekg. As I'm doing this the nurse starts to look at me funny like..
Her: "So you know about ekg's eh?"
Me: "Yeah, it's a hobby." ← smiling.
I try to be the best possible patient I can in the E.R. because for one, it's the right thing to do. For two, people are generally more motivated to help you if you're polite. And lastly, I get that E.R. people have some of the rudest/meanest SOB's for patients.
So they wheel me off to a room, get me set up, draw blood and get a urine sample. So then a PA comes to see me and gives me one of the, "So I hear you like ekg's." He was really nice and even though the pressure was continuing to build in my head and my chest hurt like the fire of a thousand suns, I was cordial. We talked, I told him my symptoms and then I told him I was starting medical school in the fall. He told me I'd be his boss some day and we both laughed. We chit-chatted, I made a few jokes and he talked to me about how he hated to be pimped back in the day.
Meanwhile, I can hear a patient tell some of the staff to F*** off and that she's leaving. In another room I could hear a nurse calmy explaining to a man why Dilaudid isn't really necessary for his pain (that one made me laugh).
So, in a bit the attending comes in and we talk. He's a DO, I'm going to be a DO. We chit chat for a bit about specialties and OMM and then he tells me what's up. Normal ekg, normal enzymes, but he wants to run enzymes again in 4 hours. I tell him ok, but that the pressure in my head is really starting to get bad (It was). He says..
"Let's get a CT. And I'll get you some medicine to help you relax."
I say fine, we chit chat some more (his wife is an internist). Essentially, one of the coolest dudes I've ever met. I really felt like he cared.
Nurse (who was very cool) walks in with relaxing medicine (morphine), she gets about halfway down the syringe and I tell her to stop. This is the part in the story where I try to comprehend anyone wanting to be a drug addict. It felt like poison. I got sick, felt hot, thought I was going to throw up. Not relaxing at all. In fact, far from it. Eventually though I did calm down and the pressure in my head seem to subside.
Long story short, other than my BP (which was high all night >150/90), everything came back normal. I talked to the internist and he said the pressure in my head could be due to allergies (just having moved and not used to where I live now) and that the second set of enzymes were fine. The internist was a DO too. I could tell he hadn't slept in about 2 years, but again it was obvious that he cared. They were d/c'ing me and I'd follow up with an outpatient stress test.
For the most part, all my pain has gone away. I'm just sharing my story because the people (PA, Nurses, Docs) at this hospital really helped me. Yeah, they didn't give me a definitive diagnosis but they sure as hell pushed me through what was to me a pretty scary situation (I've NEVER felt that bad before). It was obvious that many of them were exhausted, but that they also honestly gave a crap for someone they hardly knew (which is more than I can say for most people in this world). Last night made me proud to say this is the field I'm going into. I just hope one day, I can be there for somebody too.
Thanks for letting me share. Now, I'm going back to bed 🙂
Last edited: