May 19, 2017
Status
Pre-Optometry
So I just took the OAT yesterday and thought I would try and give back for how much these threads have helped me. I would say the best study materials were DAT Bootcamp and chads videos/quizzes for the test. It may be a stretch to order DAT bootcamp for an OAT, but there are about 11 practice exams for each subject, and they help a lot for realistic practice. I had bought the destroyer set, but didn't have time to finish it through most of it, however, if you do plan ahead and have time I would suggest it for more practice. The first thing that I studied was my notes from chads videos. He really helped get concepts down, and practice on the DAT bootcamp solidified the information since it wasn't crazy hard.
For physics, i would say the BEST thing you can do is order "Cracking the OAT". About 300 pages of straight physics review, and it really helped for the real OAT since physics isn't really based on crazy calculations that involve multiple steps. If you get the concepts of physics then the test should go smoother than trying to learn how to do these problems the Kaplan practice test/destroyer gives. Not saying that you shouldn't use it for practice, but don't get discouraged too much. But also I wouldn't just bank on getting a higher score either since physics is more about trying to get all the concepts down. I personally didn't think Kaplan physics was too reflective with the real OAT since I had gotten a 260 on it but scored a 330 on physics on the real one. I would say chads quizzes for physics and the cracking book helps a lot for that subject and are worth your time. I had also gone through the 148 problems on destroyer two days before, but again the real OAT did not require you to do a lot of calculations, and if they did it was very doable if you understood the concept. If you also do buy the cracking the OAT, (20$ on walmart.com)
For bio, I had run down the 592 destroyer problems that they had and then did the 10 practice tests on DAT bootcamp. Kaplan's book is useful for one tool only in my opinion and that is the biology section. I didn't read any of the subjects besides BIO, but if you don't get a concept on orgo or chem it might help you to read it if you'd like. But I tried sticking with just BIO. You should also look at the ferralis notes if you have time, which is a very nice detailed run through on everything, and the taxonomy cheat sheet.
For Chem, I mainly did the gen chem quizzes/videos on Chads, and practice on DAT bootcamp. It wasn't a very calculation based section either that required lots of time and effort. However, if you have time, destroyer problems would help to make sure you got certain concepts down.
For Orgo, again chads quizzes, DAT bootcamp practice, and the road maps for the destroyer were VERY helpful. They give pages of all sorts of reactions, and if you got that down orgo shouldnt be too bad. Destroyer might be beneficial here for that key tool it offers.
Now there are new changes to QR. I would look at the 2017 ADA guidelines and you will see that there is no more trig on there and something called quantitive comparison. Geometry might also show up but I don't recall if it was on the list off the top of my head. THIS is where DAT bootcamp saved me because I did not know of these changes until recently, but they were updated on that and gave MANY problems on quantitive comparison. This was good exposure since I wasn't surprised on test day since I had gone through those 11 QR tests on boot camp. I don't think chads, Kaplan's, or anything else could have served more useful for this subject. However, I understand not many people would be willing to get DAT BOOTCAMP, but it really helped me to have it and was very reflective of the actual test.
KEY MATERIALS I USED IN SUMMARY: Cracking the OAT, Chads videos, Kaplan BIO (can rent from a library if you're only using the bio section like I did), DAT BOOTCAMP. The destroyer set would be useful if you have time and money for it but I don't think it really is necessary. The DAT bootcamp is a lot more reflective of the test as mentioned above.
Also don't get super discouraged if Kaplan doesn't go well. I got a 280 overall on Kaplan but ended up with a 340/350 on the real test. Physics seemed impossible on Kaplan, but like I mentioned above the material I used really helped me learn it.
Bio/Gen chem/Orgo/ RC/ Physics/QR
kap1: 290/320/280/280/230/290
kap2: 300/330/290/280/260/300
ada: 330/350/340/310/340/360 TS: 340 AA: 340
OAT: 320/350/370/320/330/330 TS: 350 AA:340

so as you can see the ADA is the most reflective like people say on this thread, so don't worry too much on Kaplan, but also don't use it as an excuse to not study as hard because you're banking on the material to be easier and for you to do better. The OAT is a very manageable test when you get to it and it seems as though it will be crazy but if you've used the materials I've mention I really think you would be fine. It's more so the concept of each subject than how to do lengthy problems! If you have any questions please let me know!

Jul 20, 2017
Status
Pre-Optometry
congrats on your scores, that is so exciting! this post is really encouraging, I took the online kaplan course and was scoring pretty low on the quizzed/ tested material, even when I felt like I was moving ahead in my studying. how long did you end up studying for the test? Its good to hear that those resources worked so well for you, Ive been religiously watching chad and I feel like he's a life saver. I also just signed up for bootcamp for the extra tests and hopefully will be able to retain alot from those. Right now, my biggest struggle is chem. would you say that chad helped you prepare enough for both gen chem and orgo? my test is late sept and Im pretty nervous, so your post was super helpful to read :)

Faefly

2+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Congrats on your scores. Awesome job!

Reactions: vdlbj23
About the Ads

arredon9

2+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2017
Status
Pre-Optometry
Wow congratulations!!! Thanks for your input! I am actually about to take it in less than two weeks and I've been studying a lot using Kaplan book and Chad's videos/quizzes. Can I ask how long did you study for the OAT?

OP
V
May 19, 2017
Status
Pre-Optometry
congrats on your scores, that is so exciting! this post is really encouraging, I took the online kaplan course and was scoring pretty low on the quizzed/ tested material, even when I felt like I was moving ahead in my studying. how long did you end up studying for the test? Its good to hear that those resources worked so well for you, Ive been religiously watching chad and I feel like he's a life saver. I also just signed up for bootcamp for the extra tests and hopefully will be able to retain alot from those. Right now, my biggest struggle is chem. would you say that chad helped you prepare enough for both gen chem and orgo? my test is late sept and Im pretty nervous, so your post was super helpful to read :)
I had a very untraditional way of studying. It was on and off throughout the summer for a couple hours a day, until the two week mark hit the first week of august, and i studied pretty much day and night for the last two weeks trying to cram in everything ive put together. However, I had most of chads videos and notes done by that time so it was just review of those/quizzes and the DAT bootcamp, in the two weeks.

Reactions: Faefly
OP
V
May 19, 2017
Status
Pre-Optometry
Also yes i think chad prepared me enough for the understanding of orgo concepts and mechanisms, but for orgo the more exposure you have the better youll do since you will get familiar with how it works. The DAT bootcamp solidified what i learned with those 10 tests, and i used the roadmaps in the destroyer the night before to make sure i got everything down. didnt have time to finish destroyer though. Chem i just used my notes from chads which were nice, and i think he was good for that section since they had not asked something to complex for you to try and get the first time around.

JAB1215

2+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Optometry
Also yes i think chad prepared me enough for the understanding of orgo concepts and mechanisms, but for orgo the more exposure you have the better youll do since you will get familiar with how it works. The DAT bootcamp solidified what i learned with those 10 tests, and i used the roadmaps in the destroyer the night before to make sure i got everything down. didnt have time to finish destroyer though. Chem i just used my notes from chads which were nice, and i think he was good for that section since they had not asked something to complex for you to try and get the first time around.
Congrats on those awesome scores! I'm taking the OAT in less than a week & am planning on taking the ada's OAT tomorrow. However, I can only find the pdf file of the test. How did you score your practice ada exam after taking it? I found a score conversion chart on here that someone had posted, but I wasn't sure if it was correct. I think it's reading comprehension corresponded to the older OAT version, as the score conversion chart didn't include all 40 questions.
Thanks!

OP
V
May 19, 2017
Status
Pre-Optometry
I used that conversion chart you found on some thread here too! And yeah i just used the same thing for reading too!

Mar 3, 2017
Status
Pre-Optometry
Congrats on doing so well! Can you give an example of what a "Quantitative Comparison" question is like?

About the Ads