My OAT experience!

WhyNeedAName

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've been wanting to share my OAT experience ever since I first heard of SDN, and finally, I can do so!
I wrote my exam yesterday, and here is what I got:

Bio: 350 (81%)
Chem: 330 (67%)
Orgo: 260 (19%) (I'll explain that laterlol)
Physics: 320 (80%)
RC: 310 (38%) (English is my second language)
QR: 310 (55%)
TS: 320 / AA: 310

What I used to study:
- I bought the 2014 kaplan lesson and review book from someone, I read mostly everything except physic since it had magnetism.
- I bought the Big blue Kaplan book, but I only bought it for the online access for the exams (which lowkey was a waste of money since the written context of the book was exactly like the review book... Btw, the last word of the first paragraph of chapter 23 is "numbers").
- mometrix flashcards (idk how old they are, I bought it with the used kaplan lesson book kit)
- feralis notes
- DAT boot camp gen chem and orgo review sheets
- Quizlet OAT and DAT bio notes
- these "Quicknotes" pamphlet I bought for bio 2, gen chem, and orgo back when I had those classes.
- Crash Course physics videos (the British lady has a beautiful accent, so they were not boring lol)
- Chad's Ultimate notes, but I used it mostly for gen chem and physics.

My study plan: (because why buy all of that and not know how to use it)

I originally was supposed to take the OAT on July 30th. My semester finished on May 4th, and I gave myself a week to relax as much as possible and I made a schedule based on what has the largest percentage on each section and made a calendar for what needs to be done. I had 12 weeks til my exam, and I planned on using 2 of those weeks for practice tests. So, for the bio section, AnP, genetics, and Cell and molec was the largest percentages, so I took two weeks to study each of those topics and then 1 week for the rest of the bio topics since they has less chance of showing up. Gen chem and orgo had a different "topic period" so I can give, for example, gen chem 4 days to study a topic instead of a week like bio.

I didn't start studying physics until about 5 weeks in mainly because I know physics pretty well. I had AP physics, took physics 1&2 in college, and took an optics course as well, so I'm not too bad with it.... At least, until my Kaplan tests said otherwise lol

When the exam day gotten closer (that 2 weeks period) : I took 2 kaplan exams and the sample OAT:

Subject: Sample/K1/K2
Bio: 310/ 300/320
Chem: 320/320/320
Orgo: 320/270/300
Physics: 250/240/310
RC: 300/250/250
QR: 340/350/370
TS: 300/idk/290
AA: 300/290/310

Why I moved my exam? I had a lot of stressful things going on, and I thought if I move it, it'll be better for me. Also, have you seen my physics scores? I honestly thought it would be easy, but it wasn't. I know optometry schools hold physics scores higher than the others, so if everything else is good except that one, it could have been horrible. So I paid $100 to move my exam, best decision I made.

What did I do for the extra 2 weeks? Crash course, Chad's worksheet (his videos are too boring for me.. I only watch them if I need clarification on a problem), flashcards everywhere I go, and learn more about my body's behavior so I can know what to do and what not to do on exam day.
I used quizlet and the Quicknotes because I know the material, I just have to refresh on some topics and I'm not looking at my notes I made from those 10 weeks of studying unless I forgot something completely. I also studied with one of my best friends who also is taking her OAT (her's is this Friday!) I studied basically everyday all day (from 9am-9pm) and I don't regret a second of it lol.

On August 11th, I took the Paid ADA exam and here are those scores:

Bio: 400
Chem: 390
Orgo: 390
Physics: 300
RC: 350
QR: 270 (ran out of time and left 15 blank)
TS: 380 / AA: (didn't calculate it)

Test day:
On August 13th, I didn't look at any OAT material and took the day to relax at the pool. I took melatonin and went to sleep at 8pm, and I woke up at 3am. I hoped to be up by 4 am, but I just moved on. I drank coffee early to keep me up and also to handle my side effects of caffeine at home.
My whole plan was to wake up early and do things I noticed I did that makes me more alert of my surroundings earlier. I didn't wear comfy clothes like sweats because that'll make me sleepy.
At the testing location, I had a thin sweater because idk if a regular hoodie is acceptable at this location. So, for the first half, I was shivering cold and had gotten sleepy during orgo because I didn't eat breakfast (I usually don't get hungry until 11, no matter how early I wake up, so this was weird because I planned to eat during my break). What woke me up was touching my lower eye lids with my cold fingers, so that's why my orgo section was bad.

During the break, I ate a fruit cup and the prometric lady was nice enough to let me go inside my car to get my sweater, because I hear you usually are not allowed to go to your car.

Final thoughts:
So, as the scores show, it is possible to pass the exam. Kaplan and feralis was the best to learn stuff, and the paid ADA is waaaaaaay too easy, in fact, some questions from the sample test was in there. For physics, I saw a lot more conceptual problems compared to kaplan's ratio of concepts and calculations. If you have any questions, ask away!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the post!

Does the general chem portion have a lot of calculations? I know you don't get a calculator during that part.

Also, I've been taking practice exams and studying the answers/what I got wrong. Do you recommend that? I feel like I'm learning doing that.

I can't seem to learn physics well (I haven't taken a class yet) but I am using Princeton review for it and trying to go through it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the post!

Does the general chem portion have a lot of calculations? I know you don't get a calculator during that part.

Also, I've been taking practice exams and studying the answers/what I got wrong. Do you recommend that? I feel like I'm learning doing that.

I can't seem to learn physics well (I haven't taken a class yet) but I am using Princeton review for it and trying to go through it.
Lol, you're welcome!

In gen chem, it's mostly simple one step calculations with simple numbers. In the OAT, you can set up the algebraic expression to solve for what you need and not actually calculate to find the number itself, so the choices would be like A) 4/(3x70).
I didn't see any gas law equation and thermodynamics in my gen chem, but I did see thermo in physics. That caught me a bit by surprise lol.

That is a great method to learn lol. I would know what each option are and know the background behind it too just in case the test pulls something similar to a topic from one of the choices.

For physics, study the equations and learn how to solve some questions. For kinematics and dynamics, know how to solve each force on a free body diagram, and memorize the give kinematics equations. Lastly, I saw some trick questions on there, so learn the concepts. I didn't use Princeton, so idk if it can help you for the physics section suffice.

Lol, you're welcome!

In gen chem, it's mostly simple one step calculations with simple numbers. In the OAT, you can set up the algebraic expression to solve for what you need and not actually calculate to find the number itself, so the choices would be like A) 4/(3x70).
I didn't see any gas law equation and thermodynamics in my gen chem, but I did see thermo in physics. That caught me a bit by surprise lol.

That is a great method to learn lol. I would know what each option are and know the background behind it too just in case the test pulls something similar to a topic from one of the choices.

For physics, study the equations and learn how to solve some questions. For kinematics and dynamics, know how to solve each force on a free body diagram, and memorize the give kinematics equations. Lastly, I saw some trick questions on there, so learn the concepts. I didn't use Princeton, so idk if it can help you for the physics section suffice.

thank you so much for your sharing. very helpful

I am going to take OAT exam next Wed (Aug 22). I have some question regarding your just mentioned:

1: you said 2 days before exam, you took paid ADA exam. and "DA is waaaaaaay too easy, in fact, some questions from the sample test was in there." do you think is worth to buy and do it in this 5 days for me ?
if yes. which website I can buy it?

2: for your list " sample OAT" is this one: "6773479-Oat-Sample-Test-Rev.pdf" file size: 513KB?
this one only has 15 questions for Reading comp, right? or you have another version?

3: my Reading Comp are very bad, never make 50% - to 60% correct in all the testing.
how do your prepare and review the RC?

your suggestion would be very appreaciated.

thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you so much for your sharing. very helpful

I am going to take OAT exam next Wed (Aug 22). I have some question regarding your just mentioned:

1: you said 2 days before exam, you took paid ADA exam. and "DA is waaaaaaay too easy, in fact, some questions from the sample test was in there." do you think is worth to buy and do it in this 5 days for me ?
if yes. which website I can buy it?

2: for your list " sample OAT" is this one: "6773479-Oat-Sample-Test-Rev.pdf" file size: 513KB?
this one only has 15 questions for Reading comp, right? or you have another version?

3: my Reading Comp are very bad, never make 50% - to 60% correct in all the testing.
how do your prepare and review the RC?

your suggestion would be very appreaciated.

thanks again
Hello! And I wish you the best of luck!

1) it is good to take it, but I personally don't think it is worth paying $100 for... Maybe pay the $20 for a section you're not too strong in. I just googled the ADA practice OAT exam and found the page.

2) yes, that is the sample test lol

3) I quickly scanned through the paragraphs and highlighted key words in a paragraph during the OAT, and the highlights would guide me to whatever paragraph a question's answer lies. Being honest, during Kaplan exams, you can highlight, but the highlights will disappear the in the next question, so I ctrl+F though that so I can get by. Like, I knew where an answer would be, but I couldn't find it in the passage unless I did so. Also, the reading prompts in the OAT were more interesting than what kaplan had. Even the practice test had interesting prompts.

Hope this helps!

Hello! And I wish you the best of luck!

1) it is good to take it, but I personally don't think it is worth paying $100 for... Maybe pay the $20 for a section you're not too strong in. I just googled the ADA practice OAT exam and found the page.

2) yes, that is the sample test lol

3) I quickly scanned through the paragraphs and highlighted key words in a paragraph during the OAT, and the highlights would guide me to whatever paragraph a question's answer lies. Being honest, during Kaplan exams, you can highlight, but the highlights will disappear the in the next question, so I ctrl+F though that so I can get by. Like, I knew where an answer would be, but I couldn't find it in the passage unless I did so. Also, the reading prompts in the OAT were more interesting than what kaplan had. Even the practice test had interesting prompts.

Hope this helps!

thank you so much for your quick response.

I didn't even know this can pay $20 for each section. (for sure I am going to take RC and Physics, maybe full test)
sorry for some stupid questions:

1: on this website, there are only one Full Practice Test ? ( I thought at least 3 to 5 full tests)?
(I just want to confirm this is the right website) ?

2: they said:
"Once purchased, candidates will have 24 hours to access and complete the testing module.
When the time expires, the test will end even if you are taking the test at that time.
The Individual Modules for the OAT are identical to the modules included in the Full Practice Test."

so in this 24 hours. I can only do one times? can I repeat do as many as I want within 24 hours?

thanks again

thank you so much for your quick response.

I didn't even know this can pay $20 for each section. (for sure I am going to take RC and Physics, maybe full test)
sorry for some stupid questions:

1: on this website, there are only one Full Practice Test ? ( I thought at least 3 to 5 full tests)?
(I just want to confirm this is the right website) ?

2: they said:
"Once purchased, candidates will have 24 hours to access and complete the testing module.
When the time expires, the test will end even if you are taking the test at that time.
The Individual Modules for the OAT are identical to the modules included in the Full Practice Test."

so in this 24 hours. I can only do one times? can I repeat do as many as I want within 24 hours?

thanks again
I think there's multiple practice tests, I honestly don't know for certain because I only took it once. The 24hr access is for the section practice, and I don't know how they work because I never utilized it.

I think there's multiple practice tests, I honestly don't know for certain because I only took it once. The 24hr access is for the section practice, and I don't know how they work because I never utilized it.

thank you so much for all your information.

BTW, did you already apply to the university? ( my plan is after exam next week, I will apply. do you think is too late)?

thank you so much for all your information.

BTW, did you already apply to the university? ( my plan is after exam next week, I will apply. do you think is too late)?
Lol, yeah I started applying ever since last cycle. I just need an LOR from an Optometrist.

Lol, you're welcome!

Hey! as for thermo in physics was it many questions or just one or two? I haven't looked over the thermo section in physics b/c lots of ppl say its hit or miss on the exam

Hey! as for thermo in physics was it many questions or just one or two? I haven't looked over the thermo section in physics b/c lots of ppl say its hit or miss on the exam
I only saw 2 thermo questions, but they were simple "plug and chug" questions.

Thank you! Also one more quick question

For Gen Chem was there a lot of math and calculation questions that would take time to answer?
It's very simple calculations. If something is going to take a while to solve, then the choices would be an expression that you can solve to get the answer.

Hello !
I'm taking the OAT on the 7th and was wondering was it mostly physics one or physics two? I've only taken physics one and taught my self-physics 2.

I also heard that the physics on the Oat is easier compared to Kaplan, What are your thought?

I'm taking the OAT next week and had a question regarding the reading section. Does the section allow you to use Control + F to find key phrases in the passage? I can use it during practice tests but wasn't sure if they disable it for the OAT.

Hello !
I'm taking the OAT on the 7th and was wondering was it mostly physics one or physics two? I've only taken physics one and taught my self-physics 2.

I also heard that the physics on the Oat is easier compared to Kaplan, What are your thought?
I saw a lot of physics one stuff like momentum and force. One friend of mine saw a lot of tension, and another one saw a lot of currents. It's honestly a bit of everything and I can't say much except that it's easier than Kaplan.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm taking the OAT next week and had a question regarding the reading section. Does the section allow you to use Control + F to find key phrases in the passage? I can use it during practice tests but wasn't sure if they disable it for the OAT.
I used to do that in the practice test whenever I was running low on time. Try to not use it because the keyboard is disabled during the exam. Also, some proctor locations can even see where you are in the exam and what keys you had pressed.... During the exam, all highlight you will make will retain, so don't fret too much.