My OAT Experience

freeapple123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to share with you all about my OAT experience in August 2020. Although I did not get an almost perfect sore, I still think it would be still helpful to those writing or in the process of writing the OAT.

I studied for this exam for about one and a half months using the Kaplan book, and Chad's videos. The subjects I studied in order were: general chem, physics, organic chem, and bio. I did not study for the reading comp or quant reasoning sections. I do not recommend this because it definitely showed on my actual OAT scores. For general chem, physics and organic chem, I used Chad's videos and took notes on it. Give this man your money! For biology, I used the Kaplan book and would supplement it with YouTube videos when I did not understand something. My biggest advice is to practice, practice, practice! I did the Kaplan diagnostic test, as well as the two free full lengths that came with the big blue Kaplan book. I did not have enough time to write the free OAT practice exam on DATbootcamp and Chad's free exam questions but I wanted to!

Kaplan Diagnostic:
BIO: 280
GCHEM: 300
OCHEM: 290
RC: 310
PHYSICS: 320
QR: 290

Kaplan FL 1:
BIO: 290
GCHEM: 320
OCHEM: 300
RC: 310
PHYSICS: 310
QR: 280

Kaplan FL 2:
BIO: 300
GCHEM: 310
OCHEM: 300
RC: 320
PHYSICS: 320
QR: 300

Like everyone else, my biology section was super random. I did see quite a bit of reproduction and gastrulation compared to everything else. For gen chem, it was also random. It tested a bunch of concepts. I saw a bunch of questions varying from bonding, periodic trends, gas law, redox, thermodynamics. Very little calculations and more so conceptual. Organic chem was a guessing game for me. Expect seeing questions like naming the compound, acidity, reactions/ mechanisms, predict the product. For reading comp, I used the search and destroy method. It worked pretty well until I realized I did not have much time left. I ended up clicking random answers to make sure they were not blank. Physics was not bad! This was my biggest worry, but I barely had any calculations. even if I did, they were easy plug and chug questions. They were more so conceptual. My exam had an emphasis on kinetics and dynamics/ mechanics for sure. While doing practice exams, I knew I had an issue completing QR on time and it definitely showed but I thought the OAT would be easier. Boy was I ever wrong. There are so many questions on data comparison and data sufficiency. These were lengthy and wordy. On my practice exams, I was able to get the correct answer, but found time to be not on my side.

Actual OAT:

BIO: 340
GCHEM: 370
OCHEM: 320
RC: 340
PHYSICS: 350
QR: 300

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! Congrats on surviving the OAT! I'm currently studying for it and taking it in early October. I have been mostly using Chad's videos along with DATbooster. I do get overwhelmed which leads to more stress. I often times find that I forget specifics of what I have studied months prior. Do you have any recommendations for studying for QR? Do Chad's videos/quizzes help with QR type problems that I may encounter on the OAT? Also what makes the difficult questions difficult? Is it the amount of specifics you have to remember or the amount of work needed to be done to get one calculaton question done? Sorry for so many questions coming your way, not knowing how the exam will be is making me anxious!

Hi! Congrats on surviving the OAT! I'm currently studying for it and taking it in early October. I have been mostly using Chad's videos along with DATbooster. I do get overwhelmed which leads to more stress. I often times find that I forget specifics of what I have studied months prior. Do you have any recommendations for studying for QR? Do Chad's videos/quizzes help with QR type problems that I may encounter on the OAT? Also what makes the difficult questions difficult? Is it the amount of specifics you have to remember or the amount of work needed to be done to get one calculaton question done? Sorry for so many questions coming your way, not knowing how the exam will be is making me anxious!
Thank you! I would definitely recommend practicing lots and lots of QR questions so you can get faster at solving them! I would also recommend you looking up data comparison and sufficiency questions. I found those the most difficult because of how time consuming they are. Chad's QR questions were easier than my actual OAT because his did not have data sufficiency questions. It is still good practice. To me, a difficult question is one that takes me a long time to figure out. If I do not know it, I pressed a random answer just so I answered it and flag it and would come back to it later. Most questions should be a quick solve and move on kind of thing. Hopefully I answered your questions.

Thank you! I heard OAT Destroyer has good QR practice but not sure if there are other less expensive options to study this