my oat score

tigereyes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ah i just took my OATs yesterday and i'm so mad!! this is my breakdown..

orgo- 400
gchem- 370
bio-350
physics-330
quant-340
reading comp-270 :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

AA= 340
TS=370

my reading comp totally sucked..i don't know if i should take it over because my sciences and math were pretty okay but it brought my AA down! if i retake them i won't be able to apply this year since they want your OATs taken by january..should i apply and see what happens? are those ridiciliously bad scores? :(

Members don't see this ad.

ah i just took my OATs yesterday and i'm so mad!! this is my breakdown..

orgo- 400
gchem- 370
bio-350
physics-330
quant-340
reading comp-270 :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

AA= 340
TS=370

my reading comp totally sucked..i don't know if i should take it over because my sciences and math were pretty okay but it brought my AA down! if i retake them i won't be able to apply this year since they want your OATs taken by january..should i apply and see what happens? are those ridiciliously bad scores? :(

Everything else is fine except the reading. Have you talked to any of the schools that you are applying to to get advice? Maybe they could give you a provisional acceptance pending results of a retake. I think much depends on the school.

what was your strategy for Reading Comprehension? I've been noticing a lot of low RC scores with High everything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
reading comp has always been a sore subject for me since SAT's so i feel like i'm not good at it to begin with but what i did was start with questions first and skim for the answers ..i didn't think i did that bad during the exam because i thought the passage and questions were pretty straight forward but i guess not. if i was able to go back i think i might have done better by actually reading the passage and writing key words down like kaplan suggested but eh..whatever now..

i might just call schools and see what they suggest and take it from there but what do you think..any advice?

reading comp has always been a sore subject for me since SAT's so i feel like i'm not good at it to begin with but what i did was start with questions first and skim for the answers ..i didn't think i did that bad during the exam because i thought the passage and questions were pretty straight forward but i guess not. if i was able to go back i think i might have done better by actually reading the passage and writing key words down like kaplan suggested but eh..whatever now..

i might just call schools and see what they suggest and take it from there but what do you think..any advice?

yea the thing i think with RC is when you do mock exams, there are way more concrete direct questions referring back to the passage. Whereas the OATs is more general concept or authors tone about something, so you can't really answer it without reading the full passage. What I did was just read through it at a fast comprehendable pace and afterwards would look at the questions and if it was a direct questions I would know exactly where to look in the passage, because after reading I tend to know the generalized area the topic is located.