My options/feeling bad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dapmp91

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got my grades in, I have a 3.15 GPA both cumulative and science and I just ended my 3rd year of college (undergrad major is bio). I probably won't get into any US medical schools :scared: so what are my options from here. What kind of postbacc (SMP) should I choose? I haven't taken the MCAT yet, I am studying for it (I know I am a little late). Anyways I feel really bad regarding my grades, I wasn't serious enough, I will be turning 21 soon and nothing accomplished....

Members don't see this ad.

why are you so down on yourself? you can bang out your final year and apply next year if you want. also you still have to take the MCATs to help determine whether an SMP is the best option right now. Also in state schools are never out the question for you...how are your extracurriculars looking like?? there is still some damage control that can be done...even though an SMP is still a very real option for you..they usually require a 3.0 GPA though and a MCAT around 28 or higher..check the AAMC website for some programs...check out the postbac SMP thread for an

i say remain optimistic...:D

why are you so down on yourself? you can bang out your final year and apply next year if you want. also you still have to take the MCATs to help determine whether an SMP is the best option right now. Also in state schools are never out the question for you...how are your extracurriculars looking like?? there is still some damage control that can be done...even though an SMP is still a very real option for you..they usually require a 3.0 GPA though and a MCAT around 28 or higher..check the AAMC website for some programs...check out the postbac SMP thread for an

i say remain optimistic...:D

Hey thanks for replying, my extracurriculars suck :confused: I have only had 2 summers volunteering for the ER and this summer I am taking classes Physics I and orgo I lab (I'm done with the class). I am studying my *** off for the MCAT currently

well two summers is better than no experience, so do not even worry about that. as long as you are learning and enjoying the environment that is fine..so i say study your butt off for the MCAT and then only from there can you determine your next step..

1. if you dont do well...take a year off and study all over again all while strengthening your extraCs and your Letter of Recs..and at the same time enrolling in some upper level bio courses if money wont be an issue for you..even though u are a bio major, there might be some classes left like biochem, anatomy, genetics, molecular bio..

2. if you do well..then you can start looking for post bac programs and begin applying...because they accept application early January (jus to be safe)

also if you qualify for the FAP (fee assistance program AMCAS) then you can apply to the first 13 schools for free..so it wouldnt be a waste of money..and the AMCAS app fee is waived...options options options..lol

doing well again would mean a 30+...and again state med schools are still fun unless you have a preference