My own PAT tips!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitee_84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I took DAT last Monday and I got 24 and it was 99.9% (It was odd, because in oder to get 99.9% you should get like 26 or 27, I guess my PAT was pretty difficult). I might not be the best, but a lot of people ask me about PAT tips and I want to help all people who are having a problem with PAT. I will try to write as much as I can with my lousy English (please do not be angry at me because I am not a good english speaker :()

Most of all, I think it is very important to make it REAL!!!!!!! From childhood, I used make my own gift boxes(all different shapes such as retangle, cynlinder, pyramid, star, heart and so on). So I was very familar with 3D objects and could visualize them in my head. That was my biggest advantage, but I was not special, I just made it real. Everytime, you are stuck with punch hole, or paper folding I recommend to make it with real paper when you have free time for fun! You will understand specially, paper folding if you try a dice, a cynlider and a pyramid, you already done 70% of folding section.

Firstly, key hole section, you have to look for hole or certain rectangle or tyramid that project out of the object. Those are the first thing you should look at and eliminate all those answer choices. Most of time, I can find the answer right away by looking at where the hole is situated or how the hole would look like. If there is crazy shapes that look alike somehow and randomly, one of the answer option is rectangle, it is more likely not the answer. You might think there is no answer choice and chose the most normal answer, but that is a big mistake! If you look carefully one more time, you can find the answer most of time. Only time you choose retangle is when you absolutely sure that all four answers are wrong, then you can make your decision.

Secondly, top, end, and front view, as I mentioned before if you see perfect symmetry (even solid line and dot line have in be symmetry) in TOP VIEW, the end and front view have same exact view. Always start with easy view that you can get the clues to find other missing view. You should remember if you start with easiest part that you know easily can be clue and you can eliminate the answer which save your time and you can focus on.

Thirdly, the angle part, when you look at the angles compare with 90 degree and compare with other angles.You know your pencil is straight line, so use it as an advantage. Sometime it is apparent to see the biggest and smallest at the first time, then look for the answer 30% you will see there is only one option.

Fourthly, punching hole, well I strongly recommend try to fold and punch the paper at home. When you do several time, you will know the pattern. Remember you cannot visualize everything in your head, but once you see it, it is easier to visualize.

Fifthly, blocks! I think most people doing really good in there since no people asked me for that! So use your own STRAGY!!! :)

Lastly, paperfolding, I think I mentioned about making real boxes! Also, remember look for odd shape!

I think I put all my tips that I used in PAT. I cannot garantee those are 100%efficient, since I came up with those tips and rules(I did not reviewed any books for PAT), but I can garantee you can improve PAT at least a little. Hope my small tips can be help those who people who are having difficulties in PAT. I would appericiate those who people who have great tips that I never mentioned add in this tread, so other people can share.

Please write how much your PAT score improved, since I want to know if I could be help to some people or not :)
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

whitee_84,

Thank you so much for those tips. Honestly, I am confuse on how you do keyhole. As for other parts, my rules are the same as yours... Especially the angle ranking one. You said you took the DAT last Monday? Can you please tell me what was the real DAT like? for natural science and quantitative reasonning? I am pretty sure that RC will be my lowest score...was the quantitative reasoning the same as Kaplan? Topscore? or Barron's review? Thanks...

jessica22 said:
whitee_84,

Thank you so much for those tips. Honestly, I am confuse on how you do keyhole. As for other parts, my rules are the same as yours... Especially the angle ranking one. You said you took the DAT last Monday? Can you please tell me what was the real DAT like? for natural science and quantitative reasonning? I am pretty sure that RC will be my lowest score...was the quantitative reasoning the same as Kaplan? Topscore? or Barron's review? Thanks...

Well, it was different from Kaplan, Kaplan only covers like 80% and QR was horrible! I used only Kaplan and Topscore, but the questions I never seen those practice came out. So I think you should not depend on them. I do not know about Barron's, but try to go over school book rather than review which I do not want to do. PAT was kinda difficult since some are very tricky and angel ranking was the most difficult one. Keyhole, I just meant that try to identify hole or projected object, then you can eliminate a lot of answer choices. hope I answer all your question.

wow thanks whitee so much!!! I'm so scare of PAT section, I have no clue how to look at the hole punching ...sigh ... I hope I can make it, to you it's easy but to me it's so difficult...

moonlight123 said:
wow thanks whitee so much!!! I'm so scare of PAT section, I have no clue how to look at the hole punching ...sigh ... I hope I can make it, to you it's easy but to me it's so difficult...

-i practice dat achiever for this....i miss about 1 or 2 due to careless mistakes. But the key point is to unfold in your mind and remembering the line of symmetry. practice makes dramatic improvement if not perfect for this section.