My pharmacy is on its last breath

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SAMSSONZ

SS
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where to begin???

m/28/so.cal/R.PH

Basically, I acquired an independent long-term pharmacy over a year ago.
Its a 2 man operation(mostly me), but the service/product is top-notch.

Previous owner of 15 years jumped ship,
All/most of my wholesaler's are C.O.D.
Patient base is weak, Location is not feasable for retail...

I dont know if I'll be open "week by week", I have little experience running a business, and thats where I'm losing. The Pharmacist part is not an issue.

Im looking for insight on how to increase my patient-base, In terms of marketing, anything, to help guide me in this crash course of business 101

Input is very appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Where to begin???

m/28/so.cal/R.PH

Basically, I acquired an independent long-term pharmacy over a year ago.
Its a 2 man operation(mostly me), but the service/product is top-notch.

Previous owner of 15 years jumped ship,
All/most of my wholesaler's are C.O.D.
Patient base is weak, Location is not feasable for retail...

I dont know if I'll be open "week by week", I have little experience running a business, and thats where I'm losing. The Pharmacist part is not an issue.

Im looking for insight on how to increase my patient-base, In terms of marketing, anything, to help guide me in this crash course of business 101

Input is very appreciated

Wow...you're asking these questions a year AFTER you acquired the pharmacy? And you're asking for advice on the Student Doctor Network on how to run a pharmacy business? Wow is all I have to say....and good luck.

All I can think of is to try and sell it to someone as naive as you were when you bought. At least try and get some of your initial investment back.

YES- I had to take care of my parents financial doom first.
I just found this website. thx 4 warm welcome-)

Members don't see this ad :)
Selling is out the question.
I'll partner up before that but I know where thats ending-up.
Might as-well just sell the usual suspects(blu,yello, wutever

YES- I had to take care of my parents financial doom first.
I just found this website. thx 4 warm welcome-)

Sorry, no advice...I pondered opening an independent for years and did my homework and found a most excellent partner...I dont even know what to say...

It's gotta make you feel good to come to a message board and have someone tell you to "find someone as naive as you" on your very first post... :mad:

A lot of people on here are students and pharmacists that will give you responses such as the former poster.. apparently the sun doesn't shine in Kansas

My advice would be to get in contact with someone at NCPA and see what kind of professional advice they may have. Cardinal Health has professionals that handle stuff like this as well.

My advice: Contact Cardinal or NCPA and compile as much info as you can. Probably redundant info for you but I'm trying to be positive... change of pace around here

Find a shady pain management clinic and ask them to refer their patients to you for cheap drugs and no questions asked.

Once you get on your feet financially, sell your pharmacy and get a job at Wags.

Find a shady pain management clinic and ask them to refer their patients to you for cheap drugs and no questions asked.

Once you get on your feet financially, sell your pharmacy and get a job at Wags.

Yes. I know two independent pharmacy owners that make their money this way. The key is no questions asked. Make sure ALL your **** is straightened out as far as forms and documentation go, so that you can squarely blame the dr if the dea comes calling

Yes. I know two independent pharmacy owners that make their money this way. The key is no questions asked. Make sure ALL your **** is straightened out as far as forms and documentation go, so that you can squarely blame the dr if the dea comes calling

No, I wouldnt do that...you can only do this for a little bit, a few months, but you're asking for trouble...First, if your not filling scripts, like normal rx's, that means your not ordering much in volume from the wholesaler...You cant order like $5000 worth of lisinopril, metformin etc etc and order 30k in narcs...you will be cut off very quickly...sorry, but that is naive...Sometimes the truth hurts and its the best thing a student can hear...We pharmacists are not trying to be pessimistic, we are realistic...Your business is on its last legs you say...well, then maybe its time to get out...have you found a niche? Compounding? ALFs? Nursing homes? What have you done to better your business? You say you are a long term facility? Have you marketed or advertised in newspapers? Have you visited local ALF's? Nursing homes? Tell us what you have done...Are you only a long term facility or are you open to the public also? Tell me more...

Doctor M.... pretty sure the pharmacy student was using sarcasm..

Doctor M.... pretty sure the pharmacy student was using sarcasm..

you think...cause i know many pharmacys that are narc mills, make some money, and then are shut down...but whatever...

you think...cause i know many pharmacys that are narc mills, make some money, and then are shut down...but whatever...

no, im not sure what you guys are talking about.. i mean, i wasnt being sarcastic but we may be talking about different things. stores i know like this dont fill fake or phony rxs, just.. take advantage of a lot of patients who pay cash by not asking too many questions.

no, im not sure what you guys are talking about.. i mean, i wasnt being sarcastic but we may be talking about different things. stores i know like this dont fill fake or phony rxs, just.. take advantage of a lot of patients who pay cash by not asking too many questions.

Ok, well not asking questions is just as good as taking fake rx's...There are some good fakes out there...they get the paper that says "void"...the dont ask approach is no good...if you look the other way, you may get away with it...but sooner or later you will pay one way or another...

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, well not asking questions is just as good as taking fake rx's...There are some good fakes out there...they get the paper that says "void"...the dont ask approach is no good...if you look the other way, you may get away with it...but sooner or later you will pay one way or another...

yeah its pretty risky

yeah its pretty risky

Im just sharing with you my what I have seen with narcs in chains and owning a store...You have to ask questions...take ID's, verify rx's...cause when the DEA come knocking, you have not done anything wrong...in fact you took steps to validate the rx...The best thing to do is to weed out the fakes...thats what we did...they got us once, and the next time they came in, we just tell them we know...the gang is usually never seen again...

NOT trying to go that route. Thats why im seeking sound advice (WHEREVER I CAN) cuz I dont want to BE A STREET DEALER.

I need guaranteed income that lasts. Not trying to make it then lose it.

Seen enough people do that, its not hard.

Im just sharing with you my what I have seen with narcs in chains and owning a store...You have to ask questions...take ID's, verify rx's...cause when the DEA come knocking, you have not done anything wrong...in fact you took steps to validate the rx...The best thing to do is to weed out the fakes...thats what we did...they got us once, and the next time they came in, we just tell them we know...the gang is usually never seen again...

thx for the How-to be a crook advice.lol

It's gotta make you feel good to come to a message board and have someone tell you to "find someone as naive as you" on your very first post... :mad:

A lot of people on here are students and pharmacists that will give you responses such as the former poster.. apparently the sun doesn't shine in Kansas

My advice would be to get in contact with someone at NCPA and see what kind of professional advice they may have. Cardinal Health has professionals that handle stuff like this as well.

My advice: Contact Cardinal or NCPA and compile as much info as you can. Probably redundant info for you but I'm trying to be positive... change of pace around here
I've been seeking proper professional guidance with min. costs. One thing at a time I guess

Thx for the advice but I'm not trying to take the easy way around things.

hopefully things will get better. I just keep pouring effort into this thing

Thats pretty much the only thing I've invested in this. My time and effort

Thank you for the comments pharmacy student. I am sure what this Pharmacist and business owner needs is advice from you, a pharmacy student.

I do not bull**** or blow sunshine off peoples asses. What else can you say to someone who comes on here and asks what he can do with a business that is failing? If he wasn't naive when he bought the business then he was a freaking idiot. I think Doctor M said it best.
I pondered opening an independent for years and did my homework and found a most excellent partner...I don’t even know what to say...

Sometimes the best course of action when you make a mistake or a miscalculation is stop before it gets any worse. You can always do your homework and give it a go when you have somewhat of a clue what you are doing. Honestly if I had any ideas on how to make it as an independent pharmacy owner I damn sure wouldn't be on here telling everyone. I be out doing it myself.

I didn't buy it. No-loans. Right place/time
I did spend alot of time/effort. Which is more than money can buy.

BUT thats not the issue though.
please stay on topic

Thank you for the comments pharmacy student. I am sure what this Pharmacist and business owner needs is advice from you, a pharmacy student.

I do not bull**** or blow sunshine off peoples asses. What else can you say to someone who comes on here and asks what he can do with a business that is failing? If he wasn't naive when he bought the business then he was a freaking idiot. I think Doctor M said it best.

Sometimes the best course of action when you make a mistake or a miscalculation is stop before it gets any worse. You can always do your homework and give it a go when you have somewhat of a clue what you are doing. Honestly if I had any ideas on how to make it as an independent pharmacy owner I damn sure wouldn't be on here telling everyone. I be out doing it myself.

wuts the sayin'
Those who cant, Teach.

Are u done crashing the thread?

Don't retail pharmacies make most of their money off the front-of-store items?

Stock up on milk and ped-eggs homie.

wuts the sayin'
Those who cant, Teach.

Are u done crashing the thread?

Crashing the thread?!?!? I was the first one to respond and likely the only reason you have any responses!

Okay, I have one comment and I will leave this thread to die. Seriously the pain management thing is not a bad idea. The last city I lived in I knew an independent that was located in the same building as a pain management clinic. The guy was making some serious money. I also know of a closed-door independent pharmacy here in Texas, which is located with a group of pain management Docs. I do not think you need to be afraid of filling lots of narcotic scripts. A pain management clinic usually has their chit wired pretty tight since they know they will be under increased scrutiny. The highest profit margin drugs are narcotics.

Crashing the thread?!?!? I was the first one to respond and likely the only reason you have any responses!

Okay, I have one comment and I will leave this thread to die. Seriously the pain management thing is not a bad idea. The last city I lived in I knew an independent that was located in the same building as a pain management clinic. The guy was making some serious money. I also know of a closed-door independent pharmacy here in Texas, which is located with a group of pain management Docs. I do not think you need to be afraid of filling lots of narcotic scripts. A pain management clinic usually has their chit wired pretty tight since they know they will be under increased scrutiny. The highest profit margin drugs are narcotics.

I live in L.A.
Its reletively easy to become that type of pharmacy with all the paperwork backed.

Again. Not tryin to go that route.

Im not afraid at all really, Im just trying to keep things legal and maitain it.
I didn't torture myself to get the degree just to end up like most my friends.
(which evidently are here judging by the SPECIAL advice Im getting)LOL

I live in L.A.
Its reletively easy to become that type of pharmacy with all the paperwork backed.

Im not afraid at all really, Im just trying to keep things legal and maitain it.

rofl

Don't retail pharmacies make most of their money off the front-of-store items?

Stock up on milk and ped-eggs homie.

Um, most chains make their revenue on Rx sales...like 65-70% of sales come from Drug sales...Front store items generally have higher GP's...Milk is not a money maker...

I live in L.A.

I never said do anything illegal. Not every script for a narcotic is fake. There are actual cronic pain patients out there that legitamtely need narcotics for pain control. Hard to believe I know but its true. I have seen two independants in two states who cater largly or exclusivly here in Texas to pain management clinics. Again, as Dr. M said earlier you have to do your homework and research and make sure you getting itno the right situation. If I were you I would not dismiss anything especially if you are close to going under.

I never said do anything illegal. Not every script for a narcotic is fake. There are actual cronic pain patients out there that legitamtely need narcotics for pain control. Hard to believe I know but its true. I have seen two independants in two states who cater largly or exclusivly here in Texas to pain management clinics. Again, as Dr. M said earlier you have to do your homework and research and make sure you getting itno the right situation. If I were you I would not dismiss anything especially if you are close to going under.

-) Dont worry.

Cough-up the good advice

Jesus...just fill the narcs and be done with it...And I wasnt giving u "how to be a crook advice..." Good luck...LOL

You got insurance? Torch that beast down.

Time to bail on this thread Doctor M! I do not think there is any question as to why he is going under and on here asking for advice on how to run his business.

Im out Mountain...If a business is that bad...then its beyond "forum" repair...lol...

I knew an independent in shady area that would sell individulal insulin syringes for 75 cents, pack of 10 for 6 dollars and box of 100 for 45 dollars. No questions asked no hassell. Tons of users coming in daily who scrape up 75 cents for a clean needle for the day. Made a great profit on needles alone. Got approval with state board, not illegal. Saving money For tax payers by hopefully preventing HIV and hepatitis.

Last edited:
^^^ lmao, sounds like it came from House MD. As I can tell you first hand, in any business, your skill at the profession is not proportional to business saavy. My dad is one of the best automotive diagnostics out there, seeing as how we would get every other local repair shop's (and dealership's) CEL problems that were beyond "put an 02 sensor in it", especially eurotrash like BMW, Mercedes, Porsche etc. However, his ability to run a business is not quite up to par with his mechanical ability. Has made a lot of uninformed business moves that always bite him in the ass.

Really, running a business can be either the most profitable thing in the world, or you can die in debt from it. Gotta know what you're doing, or you'll go down in flames. I suggest either becoming very informed and educated in running a retail pharmacy, or getting out. And do one or the other quickly.

-Cardinal health(wholesaler) offers franchising under medicine-shoppe and medicap.

-Mckesson also offers healthmart and leader as a franchise as well...

I'll contact them today, We'll see where that goes..!

Anyone switch to one of these companies before?

I knew an independent in shady area that would sell individulal insulin syringes for 75 cents, pack of 10 for 6 dollars and box of 100 for 45 dollars. No questions asked no hassell. Tons of users coming in daily who scrape up 75 cents for a clean needle for the day. Made a great profit on needles alone. Got approval with state board, not illegal. Saving money For tax payers by hopefully preventing HIV and hepatitis.

Funny U mention that. At the same time I acquired my pharmacy. A weed clinic opened 2 doors down from me... Its ran as non-profit, with nothing more than a D.B.A. license, Makes 7 figures, no schooling, Hardly breaks a sweat running it, except for kissing all the neighbors ass's. lol

So we go to school,etc.etc.etc. Only to graduate so we can deal with all the ******ed regulations, contracting, approvals, bull****.

This law in Ca is really a spit in the face for our profession and practice.
If its a drug/medicine/treatment, why the fuk is not in a pharmacy.

Is anyone out there even seeing this, why is this not being regulated and let alone why isnt it being distributed through the qualified agency.

In all honesty you haven't given us enough information to offer reasonable help or a plan of attack. Some others have made attempts at getting that needed information but you chose to ignore them.

Sounds like your in a serious bind, but I admire your courage.

I think one thing you need to look at, and maybe tell us, is what are your numbers like. Whats your average Rx/day count, your average sales, your bottom line, that would give us a better idea.

Right now, you need foot traffic. Your not going to create more foot traffic out of thin air. You can offer all the best service in the world, and decent prices, but if people don't know you exist, you have no opportunity to win them and keep them as a customer because they are not there.

In order to beat the chain giants, your going to have to fight dirty with them. Take off the "golden world of pharmacy" hat and put a transfer coupon in the mail or paper. People who transfer their Rx from Rite Aid, Wags, CVS, Kroger, Wally, etc. get a $20 coupon (I am assuming you sell other merchandise correct?) You'll get some foot traffic. Your not busy so you can offer great service and show the type of attention they get there. Hopefully, you'll keep some customers and they'll tell some friends.

What are you filling right now? I'd guess 75/day? So if you use a little ad campaigning and get your Rx's up to 90/day, your moving in the right direction.

Call around and get prices from your competitors, and create a list. Figure out a way to maximize your profit while bringing prices similar to them.

Are their any endocrine/diabetic docs/clinics nearby? Find out. Than, find out the cost of diabetes equipment from competing pharmacies. I think the markup on diabetes testing supplies is around 20 % by most retail pharmacies. So find out their price, and than mark your crap up only 10 %. Yes, your barely making money, but your bringing in foot traffic with your lower prices AND your going to have the opportunity to win Rx's over with this method.

You cannot profit on everything. Every business has loss leaders and you need to figure out which loss leaders you can utilize to increase sales in your core business: filling prescriptions.

Also, look into and offer a MTM service. Your obviously a slow pharmacy, so you may be able to swing something like this, with a 2 man operation.

Finally, what about delivery? Look into delivery services in your area. Or even offer delivery from yourself or a staff member in a 2 mile radius. If you have overlap with your partner, you can easily swing this. Old, immobile people absolutely love free delivery.

You have to get creative. You have an advantage over the chains, and that is your small and flexible and can make your own decisions. Their bulky and slow at adapting.

Good luck.

Also, you can take that diabetes testing supply thing further by actually talking with diabetes providers about the concerns their patients have over affording testing equipment. If they have patients who are cash only or do not get strips/lancets/swabs covered by insurance, you can send them a pamphlet explaining how your pharmacy offers this merchandise at a lower cost compared to others. This also could hold true if your state doesn't require Rx's for syringes, and also for OTC insulin like regular/NPH. Medical practices WILL listen to pharmacies who can offer their patients a more affordable alternative, because less expense to the patient means better compliance. There is absolutely no better referral to your pharmacy than a medical doctor/practice who tells patients that hey, your probably best going to XYZ pharmacy. They may also be more apt to calling in rx's for new patients into your place if you develop a relationship with them.

Also, on the subject of nursing homes, you could explore how you could incorporate that into your business. I know an independant who is very succesful as he is the sole dispensary for a nursing home. I don't know much about this subject area however.

I think one thing you need to look at, and maybe tell us, is what are your numbers like. Whats your average Rx/day count, your average sales, your bottom line, that would give us a better idea.

Right now, you need foot traffic. Your not going to create more foot traffic out of thin air. You can offer all the best service in the world, and decent prices, but if people don't know you exist, you have no opportunity to win them and keep them as a customer because they are not there.

In order to beat the chain giants, your going to have to fight dirty with them. Take off the "golden world of pharmacy" hat and put a transfer coupon in the mail or paper. People who transfer their Rx from Rite Aid, Wags, CVS, Kroger, Wally, etc. get a $20 coupon (I am assuming you sell other merchandise correct?) You'll get some foot traffic. Your not busy so you can offer great service and show the type of attention they get there. Hopefully, you'll keep some customers and they'll tell some friends.

What are you filling right now? I'd guess 75/day? So if you use a little ad campaigning and get your Rx's up to 90/day, your moving in the right direction.

Call around and get prices from your competitors, and create a list. Figure out a way to maximize your profit while bringing prices similar to them.

Are their any endocrine/diabetic docs/clinics nearby? Find out. Than, find out the cost of diabetes equipment from competing pharmacies. I think the markup on diabetes testing supplies is around 20 % by most retail pharmacies. So find out their price, and than mark your crap up only 10 %. Yes, your barely making money, but your bringing in foot traffic with your lower prices AND your going to have the opportunity to win Rx's over with this method.

You cannot profit on everything. Every business has loss leaders and you need to figure out which loss leaders you can utilize to increase sales in your core business: filling prescriptions.

Also, look into and offer a MTM service. Your obviously a slow pharmacy, so you may be able to swing something like this, with a 2 man operation.

Finally, what about delivery? Look into delivery services in your area. Or even offer delivery from yourself or a staff member in a 2 mile radius. If you have overlap with your partner, you can easily swing this. Old, immobile people absolutely love free delivery.

You have to get creative. You have an advantage over the chains, and that is your small and flexible and can make your own decisions. Their bulky and slow at adapting.

Good luck.

You give good advice with the exception of that damn coupon...He will probably lose money on that coupon for a tx rx. Instead, if he has OTC, offer a $5 off a purchase of $20/$25 or more on OTC. At least he would break even and get some foot traffic. The chains can afford those coupons cause of volume...but hes on his last breath...giving a $20 off an Rx will lose on profit and cost of drug. For example...take plavix...say the ins pays $115 and his copay is $40. Take $20 off, and total reimbursement is $135. Plavix cost around $150 per 30 days, Cost that is. You are in the RED. and yes, 3.5 to 4% profit on brand names is normal... Skip the coupons on TX rx. Look for other avenues...We did the OTC coupons or if you wanna do the TX rx, it must be on CASH rx's, no insurance allowed...You can make that a stipulation...Be creative...

Have you gone door to door? Seems a bit weird, but we did...we gave them flyers with a coupon attached...Have you done any mailings?

Also, you can take that diabetes testing supply thing further by actually talking with diabetes providers about the concerns their patients have over affording testing equipment. If they have patients who are cash only or do not get strips/lancets/swabs covered by insurance, you can send them a pamphlet explaining how your pharmacy offers this merchandise at a lower cost compared to others. This also could hold true if your state doesn't require Rx's for syringes, and also for OTC insulin like regular/NPH. Medical practices WILL listen to pharmacies who can offer their patients a more affordable alternative, because less expense to the patient means better compliance. There is absolutely no better referral to your pharmacy than a medical doctor/practice who tells patients that hey, your probably best going to XYZ pharmacy. They may also be more apt to calling in rx's for new patients into your place if you develop a relationship with them.

Also, on the subject of nursing homes, you could explore how you could incorporate that into your business. I know an independant who is very succesful as he is the sole dispensary for a nursing home. I don't know much about this subject area however.

If he has the equipment for NH, then that would be profitable...

In the Uk,some pharmacies are Needle exchange depots. Addicts come in, just give their initials, DOB and zip code. We give them a pack of 10 x 1ml or 2ml syringes or 'barrels' and 'pins' separately. Pack also contains citric acid, swabs, sterile spoons, needle bin, and a packet of condoms. All supplied FOC by the local drug agency funded by govnmt. Pharmacy gets paid approx $2 per pack handed out and $3 for every used needle container. Pt puts into cin bin.

This is all in the name of harm reduction to cut down Hep C and HIV transmission.
All pharmacy workers concerned get a Hep C jab.
johnep

Good luck.

Thank you for taking the time to reply with positive feedback.

I do about 30 scripts/day.
I have the retail license however previous owner never utilized it so there is no displays or anything outside. And I dont have the money to change that at the momment.

I offer free same day delivery regardless of radius.
I do local ones myself after work so my typical work day hours are 9-9/12.
Offer Unit dose packaging.free
I also do E-scripts for MD's

I have visited over 300 N.H.,A.L.F's, and clinics door to door myself.
Only got about 5 contracts outta the 300.
Everyone claims that they have a cousin/sister-n-law/relative thats a pharmacist and would not be able to switch.

I have passed out flyers around senior community's at each door.

I plan to hire a marketing agent for commission, and give these options another try with the offer of better coupons and incentives.

what city is your pharmacy located?